Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade Runner 2049 (2017, D: Villeneuve) S: Ford, Gosling

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Ridley Scott Ready To Direct New Version Of 'Blade Runner'

Originally Posted by JackBurton
While I generally agree, I have to make an exception for Return to Oz. It pales in comparison to the classic film, but it's awesome in its own right. It's arguably more loyal to the source material and an example of one of the scarier fantasy films aimed at kids that you seldom see made anymore.
Agree. It's not like my avatar shows my bias, right?

For a Technicolor musical made in the 30s, The Wizard of Oz is classic. However, if you want a version of Oz truer to the book that will very likely haunt your dreams if you see it before the age of ten, look no further than Return to Oz. I hate that it was even billed as a "sequel" to begin with -- but heaven forbid audiences get confused if the slippers were silver instead of ruby.

Last edited by joe_b; 02-01-14 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Agree. It's not like my avatar shows my biase, right?

For a Technicolor musical made in the 30s, The Wizard of Oz is classic. However, if you want a version of Oz truer to the book that will very likely haunt your dreams if you see it before the age of ten, look no further than Return to Oz. I hate that it was even billed as a "sequel" to begin with -- but heaven forbid audiences get confused if the slippers were silver instead of ruby.
The Wiz>>>all other Oz movies.
Old 10-29-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39194

Ridley Scott Talks Exodus, Prometheus 2 And Blade Runner 2

His latest, The Counsellor, may star Michael Fassbender, Penélope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem and Brad Pitt, and sure, Cormac McCarthy may have been on script duties, but Ridley Scott is not resting on his laurels. Speaking to Empire for this month's issue - out on Thursday - he elaborates on what's next.

"Prometheus 2 is written," says Scott, but doesn't indicate when it might start shooting. "I have already got the next two films ready to go. That will be 2014, 2015…"

One of those is biblical epic Exodus, which has already lined up Christian Bale (Moses), John Turtorro (Pharaoh Seti), Alien alum Sigourney Weaver (Tuya, Seti's wife) and Joel Edgerton (Pharoah Ramses), but the other is "this science-fiction thing."

"There is also this very well written piece, one of the last great science-fiction books called The Forever War [the bureaucracy and space battle masterpiece by Joe Haldeman] – we’ve finally got a very good draft of that for Fox," he adds. "I thought I’d left science-fiction for too long, that I had better climb back in. Prometheus was a great experience for me. Chasing number two, we can start evolving the grand idea…"

And what sort of scale can we expect from Exodus? Scott has two words for you: "Fucking huge." He'll have to part the Red Sea, then... "Have to."

Blade Runner 2, meanwhile, is still in the works, as anyone who's listened to the Harrison Ford interview in this week's Empire Podcast will tell you. "Yeah, we're working on [Blade Runner 2] right now - that will happen sooner or later." Not one of the 2014/2015 projects then, but still on Scott's increasingly large back burner.

The Counsellor is out in the US right now, hitting UK cinema screens on November 15.
Old 09-24-14, 10:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So the script is done....I guess we'll see this in 3-4 years - if Ford doesn't break another foot by then.

http://screenrant.com/blade-runner-2...-prometheus-2/

"...Scott, when pressed by EW, said that Blade Runner 2 will start filming “probably after ['The Martian'].” Back in May this year, Alcon Entertainment made an unprecedented public bid to get Harrison Ford to reprise his role as Rick Deckard in the Blade Runner sequel; while that doesn't ensure that his role will be a prominent one, it does confirm that Ford’s character is (for the time being) a part of the movie’s script.
Noomi Rapace is still expected to reprise her role as scientist Elizabeth Shaw in the Prometheus sequel, while Scott’s long-standing claim has been that Blade Runner 2 will likewise feature a female protagonist. A few months ago, Scott took a trip to Australia, prompting rumors that he was there scouting for shooting locations for both of the aforementioned sci-fi features. That is to say, both movies look to become a reality in time."
Old 09-25-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

As the biggest Blade Runner fan in the world i have serious doubts about a sequel. I think it could work if it dealt with a totally new set of characters, and don't think going back to older characters is the best way forward. The first movie was lightening in the bottle with getting a number of contributors to the movie at a certain point in their professional life where they were hitting on all cylinders. Many of those cylinders have long since stopped working for many i think.
Old 09-25-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by james2025a
Many of those cylinders have long since stopped working for many i think.
Beginning with Sir Ridley
Old 09-25-14, 10:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
As the biggest Blade Runner fan in the world i have serious doubts about a sequel. I think it could work if it dealt with a totally new set of characters, and don't think going back to older characters is the best way forward. The first movie was lightening in the bottle with getting a number of contributors to the movie at a certain point in their professional life where they were hitting on all cylinders. Many of those cylinders have long since stopped working for many i think.
agree. the original is so original and unique. setting this later in the timeline with same character in Decker might not work so well.
Old 09-25-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel or prequel, and I really dread thinking about what a sequel would look like. The original has this really cool early cyberpunk vibe going on, and I don't need a sequel where everyone is running around with a goddamned iPhone.
Old 09-25-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-25-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Well, in EXPENDABLES 3 they just put him in a helicopter for most of his scenes. How hard was that?
Old 11-25-14, 08:42 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Ridley wont be directing:

When “The Martian” wraps later this winter, Scott already has a fair idea what he’ll be doing next, though it likely won’t be the much-anticipated “Blade Runner” sequel he developed with the original film’s co-screenwriter, Hampton Fancher. “We talked at length about what it could be, and came up with a pretty strong three-act storyline, and it all makes sense in terms of how it relates to the first one,” says Scott, who adds that fans can expect to see Harrison Ford back in the saddle as the futuristic gumshoe Rick Deckard. “Harrison is very much part of this one, but really it’s about finding him; he comes in in the third act.” Per Scott, that Alcon Entertainment production should go before the cameras within the next year, but with someone else directing (he’ll produce).
https://variety.com/2014/film/news/r...le-1201363668/
Old 11-25-14, 08:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2 - Rumors, news, etc.

I'm out.
Old 11-25-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Just can the shit.
Old 11-25-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, at lest maybe this will get the original a remastered Blu-ray release. Oh, wait, that's right, Scott has always allowed all of the versions to be released and hasn't hacked the negatives to shit, in spite of joining the "film is dead" party and taking up shooting digitally! Stupid me! That's that other world-famous, historically important sci-fi film with groundbreaking special effects which has been hacked up by its creator. Sorry.

With Scott out of the chair and Ford sounding like a glorified cameo, unless a real genius is brought on to direct and write, this sounds like a cash-in. I guess you could argue that the world of the film offers more to explore, but like I said, you'd have to be very judicious in where you chose to go. And even if Scott was directing, I'd be wary given his recent output.
Old 11-25-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe the Martian will be good and then Ridley can end his career on a high note.

That said, I hope they forget about Prometheus 2 and let James Cameron direct Aliens: Isolation - that could be amazing.
Old 11-26-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

You guys act like Ridley not directing is a BAD thing. Have you seen his last - I dunno - half dozen or so films?
Old 11-26-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time so I expect an announcement that J.J. Abrams and Christopher Nolan will be co-directing Blade Runner II.

Last edited by stvn1974; 11-27-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Just can the shit.
The business advice that got Chef Boyardee started.
Old 11-27-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel or prequel, and I really dread thinking about what a sequel would look like. The original has this really cool early cyberpunk vibe going on, and I don't need a sequel where everyone is running around with a goddamned iPhone.
They could go back to the original novel to pull concepts that are popular today. Whole boroughs that are abandoned and crumbling. Dust in the air that makes the sky orange (dress the cast in teal). Everybody leaving the planet because we've damaged the environment. A heartfelt message about why it's important to never hurt an animal, even a tiny green spider. Deckard's bad day resulting in making his marriage better.
Old 11-29-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Ridley wont be directing:

When “The Martian” wraps later this winter, Scott already has a fair idea what he’ll be doing next, though it likely won’t be the much-anticipated “Blade Runner” sequel he developed with the original film’s co-screenwriter, Hampton Fancher. “We talked at length about what it could be, and came up with a pretty strong three-act storyline, and it all makes sense in terms of how it relates to the first one,” says Scott, who adds that fans can expect to see Harrison Ford back in the saddle as the futuristic gumshoe Rick Deckard. “Harrison is very much part of this one, but really it’s about finding him; he comes in in the third act.” Per Scott, that Alcon Entertainment production should go before the cameras within the next year, but with someone else directing (he’ll produce).
https://variety.com/2014/film/news/r...le-1201363668/
Bolded item #1) Prometheus?

Bolded item #2) Star Wars?
Old 11-29-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You guys act like Ridley not directing is a BAD thing. Have you seen his last - I dunno - half dozen or so films?
Scott's non-involvement isn't a big deal to me. What I do think is a problem is Hampton Fancher writing the script instead of David Webb Peoples.
Old 11-29-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Scott's non-involvement isn't a big deal to me. What I do think is a problem is Hampton Fancher writing the script instead of David Webb Peoples.
I don't have a problem with either. If they both work on it then that would be great.
Old 02-26-15, 08:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://www.movieweb.com/blade-runner...d-ridley-scott

Harrison Ford will be back. Ridley Scott to produce.
Old 02-26-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

But will Ford be a cameo, supporting player, or the lead?
Old 02-26-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
But will Ford be a cameo, supporting player, or the lead?
He'll be the narrator.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.