Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hit Somebody - Kevin Smith's 4 hour hockey epic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hit Somebody - Kevin Smith's 4 hour hockey epic

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kevin Smith's "Hit Somebody". 4 hour epic.

Originally Posted by PatD
Why does Smith get the smack-down for laziness and not say, Wes Anderson?

Wes Anderson: who's films (with the exception of "Rushmore") have no point, the characters all have the same bland affect, and the cutesy diorama-like framing of each scene grates the first couple of movies. But he's got the snobs to back him up.

"Dogma" blows away anything Anderson ever done in terms of imagination if nothing else.
Shall we break it down?

* Anderson gets great performances out of his actors, even the amateurs. Affleck and Rickman are the only actors to ever appear in a Smith film and not come off like they're starring in a local playhouse production.

* Anderson's films are visually impressive, even when he does the diorama thing (which really isn't that common in his films). Smith has as much sense for mise-en-scene as the guy who directed episode 57 of Full House.

* You may not enjoy the plots to Anderson films, but they're there, and they're much more interesting than, "Hey, that guy who was working at a convenience store in the early '90s is now working at a fast food place and having the same conversations with his best friend."
Old 08-21-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Smith has as much sense for mise-en-scene as the guy who directed episode 57 of Full House.
Hey, no need to go ragging on Bill Foster. He was a misunderstood genius.
Old 08-21-11, 07:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Shall we break it down?

* Anderson gets great performances out of his actors, even the amateurs. Affleck and Rickman are the only actors to ever appear in a Smith film and not come off like they're starring in a local playhouse production.

* Anderson's films are visually impressive, even when he does the diorama thing (which really isn't that common in his films). Smith has as much sense for mise-en-scene as the guy who directed episode 57 of Full House.

* You may not enjoy the plots to Anderson films, but they're there, and they're much more interesting than, "Hey, that guy who was working at a convenience store in the early '90s is now working at a fast food place and having the same conversations with his best friend."
Good analysis Sean. I hope PatD was joking. I love Kevin Smith and a few of his films, and would choose his catalog over Anderson's (by a smidge), but he's not a good director compared to Anderson, or anyone really.
Old 08-21-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
...[B]but Clerks 2 is a pathetic pile of absolute dreck.
"Clerks 2" was a major disappointment to me too. But I will say, the whole Star Wars/Lord of the Rings fanboy segment was awesome. If only the rest of the movie matched that lunacy.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Well it sounds to me like you just can't handle any criticism of your beloved Kill Bill. I'll keep this in mind the next time you openly criticize a movie. At least I backed up my opinion with reasoning, and by the way, I didn't draw any graphs.
Sorry you've taken my comment so personal. Of course you're allowed an opinion, but that's a two-way straight street, brother, meaning I'm allowed to disagree and have my opinion. That's all. Meant no harm other than to stick up for the great "Kill Bill," my opinion of course. And "graph" was short for "paragraph." Peace.

Last edited by Pizza; 08-21-11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Sorry you've taken my comment so personal. Of course you're allowed an opinion, but that's a two-way straight street, brother, meaning I'm allowed to disagree and have my opinion. That's all. Meant no harm other than to stick up for the great "Kill Bill," my opinion of course. And "graph" was short for "paragraph." Peace.
No, I didn't take anything personally. I stated my opinion very clearly and you implied, twice, that I must think I'm in a position to give Quentin Tarantino film making lessons. That statement doesn't come from somebody who is okay with a different opinion. I'm okay with you having an opinion, and would much rather hear you discuss that than what you ended up posting.
Old 08-21-11, 10:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
"Clerks 2" was a major disappointment to me too. But I will say, the whole Star Wars/Lord of the Rings fanboy segment was awesome. If only the rest of the movie matched that lunacy.
I might be a bit too hard on it, as my expectations were set very high, Clerks and Chasing Amy being personal favorites.

There were a few very funny bits, but overall the relationships didn't ring as true for me, and there was more crudeness than I like.

But I will give it another shot in November for the Comedy Challenge, and perhaps I'll hate it less.

Coincidentally, I'm heating up pizza for lunch as we type.....
Old 08-21-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I might be a bit too hard on it, as my expectations were set very high, Clerks and Chasing Amy being personal favorites.

There were a few very funny bits, but overall the relationships didn't ring as true for me, and there was more crudeness than I like.

But I will give it another shot in November for the Comedy Challenge, and perhaps I'll hate it less.

Coincidentally, I'm heating up pizza for lunch as we type
I was wondering why I was feeling toasty.
Old 08-21-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

No, I wasn't joking about Wes Anderson.

Gee, let's see what's the next WA movie is going to be about: a group of emotionally damaged friends/family members pursue a goal that they never reach while a bunch of British invasion songs blare in the background throughout. The cast acts like it's been fed a steady diet of sedatives and reads quirky dialogue that's mistaken as humorous by the hipster crowd. The end. Rinse, repeat, and release on Criterion.

Last edited by PatD; 08-21-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't doubt you were joking. But admiration for Kevin Smith films rules out any sort of credibility to any argument you have against real filmmakers.
Old 08-21-11, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I don't doubt you were joking. But admiration for Kevin Smith films rules out any sort of credibility to any argument you have against real filmmakers.
I admire Smith in the sense that he makes films on *his* terms. He's under no legal obligation to become the next Scorsese and kiss the asses of his detractors. And that's why there's so much venom towards him. He's a genuine person not some prefabricated celeb that Hollywood cranks out.

Yeah, he's no Kurosawa, (uh duh!), but I like him anyway because he's a unique voice.
Old 08-21-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gee, let's see what's the next WA movie is going to be about: a group of emotionally damaged friends/family members pursue a goal that they never reach
Yes, that's a perfect description of The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

while a bunch of British invasion songs blare in the background throughout.
Yeah, British bands like the Velvet Underground, Elliott Smith, Nico, and Mark Mothersbaugh. Oh, and a Brazilian guy singing Portuguese covers of David Bowie.

The cast acts like it's been fed a steady diet of sedatives and reads quirky dialogue that's mistaken as humorous by the hipster crowd. The end. Rinse, repeat, and release on Criterion.
How awful, Anderson opts for low-key performances instead of having main characters shout, "Snootchie bootchies!" and "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

And, yes, everyone who likes The Life Aquatic is a hipster, totally unlike those free-thinking Smith fans.
Old 08-22-11, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So? There's a reason why "auteur" usually refers to the director and not the writer. Hitchcock films are Hitchcock films, and John Ford movies are John Ford movies regardless of whether they wrote the scripts themselves or had someone else do it. If you're seriously going to argue that Cop-out isn't a Smith film because he didn't write it, you're just underlining his weakness as a director -- he had no style to bring to the film.
You are oversimplifying the auteur theory. Ford and Hitchcock didn't write their own films, but they "crafted" their scripts.

Just using Hitchcock as an example, he enjoyed reading books (often very obscure pulp fiction), buying the story and/or commissioning the writer, and finally hiring a screen writer of his choosing to develop and write the screenplay. Hitch would supply input to the screenwriter throughout the process. He sheparded the whole writing process personally.*

This is very differnent than doing "for hire" work. Off the top of my head Witness is a good example of "for hire" work. A producer developed the script, got Harison Ford attached, and only then went shopping for a director. Peter Weir is an auteur but little of his familiar personal vision can bee seen in Witness.

If anything, Smith proved (to few peoples' surprise) that he can't bring much to a for hire situation.

*All this being said Hitch did do for hire work. Rebecca probably being the most famous example.
Old 08-22-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gee, let's see what's the next WA movie is going to be about: a group of emotionally damaged friends/family members pursue a goal that they never reach while a bunch of British invasion songs blare in the background throughout. The cast acts like it's been fed a steady diet of sedatives and reads quirky dialogue that's mistaken as humorous by the hipster crowd. The end. Rinse, repeat, and release on Criterion.
Sounds like jealousy to me.
Old 08-22-11, 06:37 PM

Smith lost me ever since he started dissing PT Anderson. That and I grew up. Can't stand the guy now. Clerks 2 was one of the biggest piles of crap in the last 10 years.

As far as Hit Somebody, I'm a huge hockey fan but a 4 hour, 2 part hockey movie?? You have got to be kidding me. This should be a 90-100 minute movie, that's it. Smith has lost it. And I don't mean his weight
Old 08-24-11, 09:37 AM

I'm glad music isn't held to the same pathetically myopic standards as film. For if it was, classical music would be the only game in town and anything done for *gasp!* fun or personal expression without regards to the tastes of the others would be shunned from the community. We now return to our regularly scheduled Kevin Smith-bashing already in progress.
Old 08-24-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad music isn't held to the same pathetically myopic standards as film. For if it was, classical music would be the only game in town and anything done for *gasp!* fun or personal expression without regards to the tastes of the others would be shunned from the community. We now return to our regularly scheduled Kevin Smith-bashing already in progress.
Films are a lot more expensive to produce. You can have 4 nerds with instruments make an inexpensive album that gets noticed. A movie takes an entire crew of people to produce. Dozens or even hundreds of people that need to be paid and fed. The costs are a lot higher, so the stakes are a lot higher. There needs to be a quality product at the end, well at the very least it needs to make enough money to turn a profit. As for the audience, you hear a 3 minute song that you hate and it's not the end of the world. You spend 90 minutes on a film you hate and you're going to be a little more peeved.

It's simply a lot harder for a nobody to get a film produced. Music will always be more subjective. You could have somebody banging on a trashcan and some asshole might walk by and think that's the sweetest music he's ever heard. Kevin Smith is the cinematic equivalent of that guy banging on a trashcan. He certainly doesn't know how to be a filmmaker, Bruce Willis almost made him cry on the set of Cop Out because of Smith's incompetency.
Old 08-24-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I can gather from that post is that you must listen to the radio.
Old 08-24-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I think all - or at least most - of us can appreciate something done out of fun; that's why most of us were drawn to Smith in the first place. But Smith's films have ceased to be fun or at least aren't as fun as they used to be. That's why most of us who are here bashing Kevin Smith, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, are lapsed Kevin Smith fans.
Old 07-23-12, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Four hours? Fuck that.
Old 07-23-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Smith? Fuck that.
Old 07-23-12, 06:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Thread resurrection for no reason? Fuck that.
Old 07-23-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hot chick passed out on Flunitrazepam? Fuck that.
Old 07-23-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Kevin Smith's making another movie? Fuck that.
Old 07-23-12, 07:06 PM
Cool New Member

That Fuck? Fuck That.
Old 07-23-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone listened to his podcast about making movies yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.