DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Hit Somebody - Kevin Smith's 4 hour hockey epic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/593663-hit-somebody-kevin-smiths-4-hour-hockey-epic.html)

Hazel Motes 08-15-11 12:48 PM

Hit Somebody - Kevin Smith's 4 hour hockey epic

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/kevin-..._fee=0&_r=true

Kevin Smith's Hit Somebody will be a two-parter

Director gives update on "final film"

By George Wales | Aug 15th 2011

Having seemingly opted out of the studio system, Kevin Smith is enjoying the freedom that comes with doing it on your own. His latest move is to split upcoming hockey flick Hit Somebody into a two-part film, a decision no studio would surely ever have backed!

Having previously stated the film will be his last before retirement, Smith told a Red State audience in Montreal that Hit Somebody was too big a story to tell in just one movie.

The comedy-drama tells the story of Buddy, a sports-mad dreamer obsessed with scoring a goal in the NHL. The first film will cover his childhood and the road that eventually leads him to the NHL, whilst the second will continue the story once he’s made it.

Buddy will be played by Red State’s Nicholas Braun, whilst Colin Hanks, Melissa Leo and John Goodman have all been rumoured to be joining the cast.

Essentially, what we’re looking at here is a four-hour epic about the NHL, a proposal that even the most sympathetic studio might struggle to swallow. However, since Smith is operating out there on his own, he can pretty much release this one however he pleases!

Whether it translates to UK audiences, however, remains to be seen. As intrigued as we are, NHL is always going to be a hard sell this side of the pond…

Dan 08-15-11 12:52 PM

Re: Kevin Smith's "Hit Somebody". 4 hour epic.

The last line says it all. I applaud Smith for doing whatever the hell he wants, but even Americans don't love hockey that much... do they?

OldBoy 08-15-11 01:07 PM

can't get psyched at all. too bad.

Goat3001 08-15-11 01:15 PM

In theory the idea seems great, but I just can't trust Kevin Smith anymore.

Michael Corvin 08-15-11 01:49 PM

Can't wait to see it... on dvd.

On the flipside, props to him for getting to do whatever the hell he wants to do by forgoing studios. There are a select few that have that option. It just means 98% of us won't get to see it in the theater.

boogieman03 08-15-11 01:54 PM

I'll hold judgement on this one until after I see Red State. I've kinda lost the Kevin Smith Fanboyism.

I am happy for him in that he gets to do what he wants, film wise.

sagemovman 08-15-11 05:17 PM

does he really think it will be such a hit that distributors will release a follow-up? this is no kill bill

MasterofDVD 08-15-11 10:28 PM

I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan and I love to know the details about movies as they are being made but I'm so fucking sick of hearing about Red State on every single podcast he does but I am curious about a movie that is so different from anything he has done. I say that because I hate sports/hockey so if he rambles about this movie for the next 2 years or so until it/they are out there will no way I'll be able to tolerate sitting in a theater to see it or spending money to buy it.

I just wish he's bail on movies already and focus on S.I.R. and his shows.

PenguinJoe 08-15-11 10:41 PM

I saw Red State. It was alright, a little uneven and its hard to add humor to such a dark topic. It's probably one of the loudest gunfights I've ever heard in a theater.

Abob Teff 08-15-11 10:44 PM

Who has retired more often, Bret Favre, Magic Johnson, or Kevin Smith? Enough already. Your glory days are behind you and we thank you for the contributions you have made. Now move along.

mhg83 08-15-11 11:18 PM

The move away from studios just seems like he knows they wont fund his next movie in the near future and this is his way of avoiding the embarrassment of when that happens by making him look cool in the eyes of his fans.

I used to love Kevin and his movies. Clerks 2 was his last good movie.

dan30oly 08-15-11 11:27 PM

I'm in.

Solid Snake 08-15-11 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 10890813)
The move away from studios just seems like he knows they wont fund his next movie in the near future and this is his way of avoiding the embarrassment of when that happens by making him look cool in the eyes of his fans.

you saw RS in that case?

mhg83 08-16-11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10890826)
you saw RS in that case?

I would if it would come to a theater near me. I actually meant in terms of comedies he's made.

AnonomusBob15 08-16-11 12:05 AM

I agree with most of this. I see it as a desperate move to get some of his indie cred back. Little does he know indie cred is associated with making good films, something he hasn't done in 14 years now.

There is nothing wrong with making pictures for the studio. He's not Steven Soderbergh, making one for the studio, then doing something challenging.

Red State seems like a turn in the right direction, but the trailer just oozes with his signature amature style. Mostly what looks like television calliber performances.

TheySentYou 08-16-11 09:37 AM

this sounds awful

PopcornTreeCt 08-16-11 10:05 AM

I think he really needs to try and get his buddy Ben Affleck to do this film. The hockey scenes were touching in The Town -- all because they didn't actually show anyone playing hockey.

islandclaws 08-16-11 10:10 AM

A two-part hockey film?

If I were in Hell, that's what would play on an infinite loop.

Nothing about Smith or his films has ever made me think he needs, or is capable of making, an epic film.

sauce07 08-16-11 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10891149)
A two-part hockey film?

If I were in Hell, that's what would play on an infinite loop.

Nothing about Smith or his films has ever made me think he needs, or is capable of making, an epic film.

Q4T

I used to love Kevin Smith but he has grown tired. Is there anything about his filmmaking talents that makes you think he can handle a 4 hour epic?

slop101 08-16-11 10:24 AM

I used to love Kevin and his movies. <strike>Clerks 2</strike> Chasing Amy was his last good movie.

Fixed, and he's too far gone to recover and make a good, coherent movie. By his own admission, he's not a good director; he's lazy and unwilling to learn, and his recent bout with marijuana has only exasperated his deficiencies.

clckworang 08-16-11 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD (Post 10890775)
I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan and I love to know the details about movies as they are being made but I'm so fucking sick of hearing about Red State on every single podcast he does but I am curious about a movie that is so different from anything he has done. I say that because I hate sports/hockey so if he rambles about this movie for the next 2 years or so until it/they are out there will no way I'll be able to tolerate sitting in a theater to see it or spending money to buy it.

I just wish he's bail on movies already and focus on S.I.R. and his shows.

I think much of what you say about Smith is why it's hard for me to stomach him now. I worked with a couple of people who were massive fanboys, so I always heard every last details about Smith's past, current and future projects. Get over it; the movies aren't that good!

Anyway, as for this movie, I agree with others that I just can't see Smith handling a 4-hour story. All right, I take that back. He could handle it; I just can't see him handling it all that well.

Ky-Fi 08-16-11 11:06 AM

So this is just a movie adapation of the Warren Zevon song from a few years ago---or was that song written for this project?

Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song)

He was born in Big Beaver by the borderline
He started playing hockey by the time he was nine
His dad took the hose and froze the back yard
And Little Buddy dreamed he was Rocket Richard
He grew up big and he grew up tough
He saw himself scoring for the Wings or Canucks
But he wasn't that good with a puck

Buddy's real talent was beating people up
His heart wasn't in it but the crowd ate it up
Through pee-wee's and juniors, midgets and mites
He must have racked up more than three hundred fights
A scout from the flames came down from Saskatoon
Said, "There's always room on our team for a goon
Son, we've always got room for a goon"

There were Swedes to the left of him
Russians to the right
A Czech at the blue line looking for a fight
Brains over brawn--that might work for you
But what's a Canadian farm boy to do?
What else can a farm boy from Canada do?

Hit somebody! was what the crowd roared
When Buddy the goon came over the boards
"Coach," he'd say, "I wanna score goals"
The coach said, "Buddy, remember your role,
The fast guys get paid, they shoot, and they score
Protect them, Buddy, that's what you're here for

Protection is what you're here for
Protection--it's the stars who score
Protection--go and kick somebody's ass
Protection--don't put the biscuit in the basket just
Hit some, Buddy! it rang in his ears
Blood on the ice ran down through the years
The king of the goons with a box for a throne
A thousand stitches and broken bones
He never lost a fight on his icy patrol
But deep inside, Buddy only dreamed of a goal
He just wanted one damn goal

There were Swedes at the blue line
Finns at the red
A Russian with a stick heading straight for his head
Brains over Brawn--that might work for you

In his final season, on his final night
Buddy and a Finn goon were pegged for a fight
Thirty seconds left, the puck took a roll
And suddenly Buddy had a shot on goal

The goalie committed, Buddy picked his spot
Twenty years of waiting went into that shot
The fans jumped up, the Finn jumped too
And cold-cocked Buddy on his followthrough
The big man crumbled but he felt all right
'Cause the last thing he saw
was the flashing red light
He saw that heavenly light

There were Swedes to the left of him
Russians to the right
A Czech at the blue line looking for a fight
Take care of your teeth--that might work for you

Obi-Wanma 08-16-11 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 10891218)
So this is just a movie adapation of the Warren Zevon song from a few years ago---or was that song written for this project?

Yes, the movie is based on the song.

slop101 08-16-11 11:35 AM

In light of this 4-hour "epic" here's a nice little Kevin Smith quote that I found pertinent:

"I’ll never watch [Magnolia] again, but I will keep it. I’ll keep it right on my desk, as a constant reminder that a bloated sense of self-importance is the most unattractive quality in a person or their work."

islandclaws 08-16-11 11:40 AM

Appropriate that Smith now has that bloated sense of self-importance to go with his bloated self.