Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Final Destination 5 (Quale, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Final Destination 5 (Quale, 2011)
2.86%
17.14%
34.29%
5.71%
11.43%
5.71%
0%
2.86%
0%
0%
0%
I'd rather take a nail gun to the head than see a fifth Final Destination
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please continue pre-release discussion in The Anal The 5nal... um, just click here.

Movie:
"Final Destination 5" (Starring: Nicholas D'Agosto, Emma Bell, Miles Fisher, David Koechner, Courtney B. Vance and Tony Todd)

Release Date:
08/12/2011

Rating:
R (for ninety-five minutes of continuous, graphic violence and gore all in glorious IMAX 3D)

Running Time:
95min. (1h. 35m.)

Budget:
$50 million

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Survivors of a suspension-bridge collapse learn there's no way you can cheat Death.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.2 (522 votes as of 8/11/11)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:13 Rotten:8 (62% as of 8/11/11)

Metacritic:
50 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 8/11/11)

Trailer:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lNEQAXX43g?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lNEQAXX43g?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 08-11-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Final Destination 5 (Quale, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Loved Eberts end quote
I expect this movie to make a lot of money at the box office, spent by fans eager to see still more cool ways for hot young characters to be slaughtered. My review will not be read by any of these people. They know what they enjoy. They don't want no damn movies with damn surprises. I am always pleased when moviegoers have a good time; perhaps they will return to a theater and someday see a good movie by accident, and it will start them thinking.
Old 08-11-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also loved how Ebert used an image on his review that contains a (fairly obvious if you've seen the trailers) spoiler for one of the death sequences.

I'm sorry that Final Destination 5 wasn't a thinking man's movie like Cars 2 was for Ebert.

We already know how the franchise works inside-and-out. A premonition leads to a disaster where a group of survivors weasel their way out. However, death doesn't like to be cheated and everyone must die in very, horrific ways.

I'm not going into this film at midnight expecting high art. Yes, we've already seen this story been told four times before in the past decade. I'm just expecting a film that delivers on its premise. I just want to have some macabre fun tonight in glorious IMAX 3D. Sometimes, its okay to see a movie of that nature.
Old 08-11-11, 03:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

no poll?

i might see this as a goof. they can be fun in the right mentality.

**edit** that is the best freaking trailer for a movie EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exec. Produced by Graehme Reaper.
Old 08-11-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I also loved how Ebert used an image on his review that contains a (fairly obvious if you've seen the trailers) spoiler for one of the death sequences.

I'm sorry that Final Destination 5 wasn't a thinking man's movie like Cars 2 was for Ebert.

We already know how the franchise works inside-and-out. A premonition leads to a disaster where a group of survivors weasel their way out. However, death doesn't like to be cheated and everyone must die in very, horrific ways.

I'm not going into this film at midnight expecting high art. Yes, we've already seen this story been told four times before in the past decade. I'm just expecting a film that delivers on its premise. I just want to have some macabre fun tonight in glorious IMAX 3D. Sometimes, its okay to see a movie of that nature.
At least he gave it 2 stars, so he must of found some entertainment out of it
Old 08-12-11, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoops, forgot the poll.

If you would've told me earlier this year that Fast Five and Final Destination 5 would've re-energized franchises that seemed on life support after weak fourth outings, I would've called you crazy. As someone who has stuck with this franchise since opening weekend of the first film eleven years ago, Final Destination 5 is a reward. It's everything the last entry wanted to be as it continues to be short and brisk, but actually adds creativity, tension and fun to the mix.

As I was discussing with Rypro 525 over on the Twitter, the film has an amazing twist that unlike other franchises actually works and is quite effective. Hell, even the 3D was amazing (especially that opening credit sequence).

There wasn't a big turnout to the midnight show I went to tonight. I would say less than 15-20% of the theater was full... and that number may be too generous. It reminded me a lot of Saw VI's midnight screening where people were burnt and tuned out after weak entries despite it actually being a great entry within the franchise. I hope that's not the case here as I want need a Final Destination 6 in my life.

... and if they're going to keep it in 3D, bring back Quale and Eric Heisserer.
Old 08-12-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If you would've told me earlier this year that Fast Five and Final Destination 5 would've re-energized franchises that seemed on life support after weak fourth outings, I would've called you crazy. As someone who has stuck with this franchise since opening weekend of the first film eleven years ago, Final Destination 5 is a reward. It's everything the last entry wanted to be as it continues to be short and brisk, but actually adds creativity, tension and fun to the mix.
Wow, sounds promising.
Old 08-12-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Loved Eberts end quote
I expect this movie to make a lot of money at the box office, spent by fans eager to see still more cool ways for hot young characters to be slaughtered. My review will not be read by any of these people. They know what they enjoy. They don't want no damn movies with damn surprises. I am always pleased when moviegoers have a good time; perhaps they will return to a theater and someday see a good movie by accident, and it will start them thinking.
Meh. It's perfectly possible to both enjoy a movie like this and truly great movies.
Old 08-12-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Will be seeing this on Sunday.

That Saved by the Bell promo/trailer was hilarious.
Old 08-12-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Tony Todd has said that if this opens in the number one slot then they will film 6 and 7 back to back.
Old 08-12-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as there are ways to kill people, theyll keep doin them.

and yeah, agree w Chmiel, a fun movie, with some great 3D effects (shooting most of the movie during the day helped with the depth of field where it really feels 3D). The sequence
Spoiler:
involving gymnastics
may be my new fave.
Old 08-12-11, 04:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Rue Morgue has their favorite best kills from the first four movies in the latest issue - sadly they really favor Part 2, which didn't thrill me as much as I had hoped - the writers opinion of 4 (my fave) was less favourable (figures)
Old 08-12-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Hafta admit that Final Destination 2 is far and away the best of the series (well, of the first four, anyway) to my mind...totally eclipsing all the rest. It's more of a dark splatter-comedy, I love all the red herrings, the kills just seem the most inspired and demented, and it doesn't get distracted by story or characterization the way the others sometimes do. Not that story and characterization are four-letter-words or whatever, but pretty much all of that winds up being forgettable in these movies.

If I had to rank the first four, I think I'd go:

3 (Mary Elizabeth Winstead makes me grade on a curve)
1 (my amazing review)
4 (my amazing review)

Despite being really let down by part four, I'm hopeful for #5 and plan on giving it a shot in theaters very, very soon.
Old 08-12-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hearing good things about this one. I HATED part 4. It was awful to me.

This looks better. And honestly, that Save by the Bell spoof really makes me want to see it even more.
Old 08-12-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Final Destination 2
2. Final Destination 5
3. Final Destination 3
4. The Final Destination
5. Final Destination

Honestly, 5 is the closest spiritually to 2. It brings back the Rube Goldberg-esque deaths back into play as nobody dies the way you're expecting them to, but it also brings back the tension leading up to the deaths. It's not like the last entry that it's just KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL. The deaths are actually memorable and there's a great build up leading to them. The gymnast sequence, as already mentioned, may take the cake for being the most "fucked up" death sequence in the entire franchise.

I just can't get over that opening credit sequence and the last five minutes. If there's one thing Quale succeeded whereas the other directors hadn't, it's opening and closing the film on high points. Even the barbecue explosion at the end of 2 has NOTHING on how this one ends.
Old 08-12-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from it. I liked it. Just what you'd expect plus a little bit more.
****/*****.
Old 08-12-11, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Got a free ticket...so why not.

3D Worth it?
Old 08-12-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Got a free ticket...so why not.
Hard yes.
Old 08-12-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

3D Worth it?
YES It was also shot in 3D too
Old 08-12-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a blast. I love this series (with the exception of 4) and this was a great entry into it. Sure the overall plot is a bit weak, would have loved them to explore the killing others to take your place aspect with a bit more creativity, but the death scenes were great. I really liked how the trailer seemingly gave away a good portion of the deaths, but then there was some twist that made it go another unexpected way instead - really fun. Most of my complaints are minor nitpicks, but the movie moves along at a great pace once the carnage starts, so you don't have time to think about the flaws - Great ending too and the 3D was definitely worth the price of admission IMO. I hope this makes some good cash but the 7:20pm show I just saw was only 1/4 full. If you have any affection for Final Destination, go out and see this one NOW! 4/5
Old 08-12-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this tonight... this was an excellent addition to the series, and it was one of the few movies I've watched where 3D seemed totally worth it. By the end of the opening credits, I knew the 3D was going to be awesome.

This really did remind me of FD2, which was my former favorite.
Old 08-13-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So after last night's numbers came out, this is estimated to open in 3rd place with $18 million. That's more money than parts 1 or 2 made on opening weekend, and it's only $1 million less than Part 3 made on its opening weekend.

Of course, Part 4 made a TON more than any of the other films on opening weekend thanks to the novelty of being the first one in the series in 3-D. That movie sucked and probably turned a lot of people off of the series, so an $18 million opening is not terrible, although this does have the highest budget of the whole series. In the end, these movies always make a ton of money overseas no matter what. (Part 4 made $120 million overseas alone!)
Old 08-13-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We went and watched this and really enjoyed it. The only real complaint are the overly long credits at the beginning of the film for the 2D crowd.
Old 08-13-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I can see that as a valid complaint - people in the 3D theatre were talking about how lengthy the titles were on the way out - I thought in 3D they kicked complete ass, but in 2D it would have been a bit of a chore.
Old 08-13-11, 09:24 PM

I saw it in IMAX 3D. What a FANTASTIC experience! The best $14 I ever spent!! on one movie! That says a LOT in my book.

That opening scene on an IMAX screen in 3D was something I actually want to see again!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.