Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I will never give up hope. It is all I have left!

To raise revenue and show a profit, Sony was left with no other choice but to sell the merchandise rights back. With each movie showing diminishing returns and the budget skyrocketing, it really is just a matter of time. Probably not the end of this year maybe not even next year, but it will be soon.
The budget is skyrocketing? Each sequel shows diminishing returns? Where are you getting this from?

These are the figures from wikipedia

Spider-Man 1: Budget=140 mil, Box office=820 mil, Net profit=680 mil

Spider-Man 2: Budget=200 mil, Box office=780 mil, Net profit=580 mil

Spider-Man 3: Budget=260 mil, Box office=890 mil, Net profit=630 mil

Amazing Spider-Man 1: Budget=230 mil, Box office=750 mil, Net profit=520 mil

Amazing Spider-Man 2: Budget=200-250 mil, Box office=370 mil (so far), Net profit=120-170 mil (so far)

The budgets have not skyrocketed. They have been fairly consistent since the second movie.

Spidey 3 was actually more profitable than Spidey 2. ASM1 had a drop in profit, but not THAT significant. The movies are still very profitable.

Sony is NOT going to give up the movie rights anytime soon.
Old 05-04-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
The budgets have not skyrocketed. They have been fairly consistent since the second movie.
Well that depends on how you view it. No the overall budget hasn't skyrocketed, but only because Sony dumped team Raimi/Maguire for the much-cheaper team Webb/Garfield. The actual costs of the films (sans talent) has increased.

And I'd be careful on your net profit estimates...those budget numbers for the films DON'T include what Sony spends on marketing, which can sometimes be as close to as much as the movie itself cost. That's why the general rule is a movie needs to make three times as much as it cost to be successful, because those marketing costs aren't part of the reported budget.
Old 05-04-14, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well that depends on how you view it. No the overall budget hasn't skyrocketed, but only because Sony dumped team Raimi/Maguire for the much-cheaper team Webb/Garfield. The actual costs of the films (sans talent) has increased.

And I'd be careful on your net profit estimates...those budget numbers for the films DON'T include what Sony spends on marketing, which can sometimes be as close to as much as the movie itself cost. That's why the general rule is a movie needs to make three times as much as it cost to be successful, because those marketing costs aren't part of the reported budget.
Ok. Likewise, those revenue figures don't show the full picture either. They don't include toys and other merchandise. They also don't show DVD/Blu home sales.

If revenue needs to be at least three times cost to be considered a success, then ASM1 was a success according to those figures. ASM2 isn't doing too bad either considering it just released. It would need to get up to 750 million to triple its highest budget projection, and it's already halfway there.

Point being, these movies are still very much profitable for Sony, and they aren't going to give it up anytime soon.
Old 05-05-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sony just needs to hire a good screenwriter and director and it won't matter who gives us a Spider-man movie. I'm still not sure what they saw from "500 Days of Summer" to hire Marc Webb in the first place. Assuming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a hit, and a good movie, I'd hope they would go for someone like Matt Reeves to direct part 3.
Old 05-05-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Sony just needs to hire a good screenwriter and director and it won't matter who gives us a Spider-man movie. I'm still not sure what they saw from "500 Days of Summer" to hire Marc Webb in the first place. Assuming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a hit, and a good movie, I'd hope they would go for someone like Matt Reeves to direct part 3.
I'm not sure Webb is the problem here...I think, given their screenwriting history (and the resulting movies), that Orci/Kurtzman are the issue. I mean if JJ Abrams couldn't do much with the INTO DARKNESS script, how was Webb supposed to do with what he was given here? You can even say the scenes that don't involve huge action/exposition in this film (the moments between Peter/Gwen and Peter/Aunt May) are the best.

With that in mind, Webb's already been locked-in for #3.
Old 05-05-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think Webb has alright storytelling chops, his action directing needs to go to a good second unit if he isn't going to do something interesting with it, but overall he wasn't a bad pick. He's the reason the Gwen/Pete scenes shine and the action scenes are kind of lackluster.

For this movie, I tend to agree it comes down to terrible screen writers. Orci/Kurtzman have good movie ideas, but write incomplete stories and terrible dialogue.
Old 05-05-14, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who's worse? Goyer or Orci & Kurtzman?
Old 05-05-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I think Sony picked Marc Webb because his last name is Webb. Seriously.
Old 05-05-14, 10:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think Sony picked Marc Webb because his last name is Webb. Seriously.
I've often thought that myself. But I think the real reason is that they wanted a "yes man" who would basically implement whatever was asked.
Old 05-05-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Who's worse? Goyer or Orci & Kurtzman?
On his own, Goyer. But most of his scripts get a brush up before going into production -- he co-wrote Dark City, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, etc; which is all fine and well, but the directors of each had a big role in those screenplays (Proyas and the Nolans). But then you look at the movies he had all to himself, like The Unborn, Blade Trinity and The Crow: City of Angels and yeah, not good.

Orci and Kutzman are bad, but not quite THAT bad. They need a strong director to shoot their material to make it entertaining.
Old 05-05-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
The budget is skyrocketing? Each sequel shows diminishing returns? Where are you getting this from?

These are the figures from wikipedia

Spider-Man 1: Budget=140 mil, Box office=820 mil, Net profit=680 mil

Spider-Man 2: Budget=200 mil, Box office=780 mil, Net profit=580 mil

Spider-Man 3: Budget=260 mil, Box office=890 mil, Net profit=630 mil

Amazing Spider-Man 1: Budget=230 mil, Box office=750 mil, Net profit=520 mil

Amazing Spider-Man 2: Budget=200-250 mil, Box office=370 mil (so far), Net profit=120-170 mil (so far)

Spidey 3 was actually more profitable than Spidey 2. ASM1 had a drop in profit, but not THAT significant. The movies are still very profitable.

Sony is NOT going to give up the movie rights anytime soon.
You understand that Gross Net, correct? Studios get on average about half the box office, and you still need to factor in P&A (usually $100 mill for a tentpole pic). (And of course, I'm talking about theatrical revenue, not home video, cable rights, merchandising etc.)
Old 05-05-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You understand that Gross Net, correct? Studios get on average about half the box office, and you still need to factor in P&A (usually $100 mill for a tentpole pic). (And of course, I'm talking about theatrical revenue, not home video, cable rights, merchandising etc.)
That does nothing to impact the thrust of his argument. Nothing.
Old 05-05-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
On his own, Goyer. But most of his scripts get a brush up before going into production -- he co-wrote Dark City, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, etc; which is all fine and well, but the directors of each had a big role in those screenplays (Proyas and the Nolans). But then you look at the movies he had all to himself, like The Unborn, Blade Trinity and The Crow: City of Angels and yeah, not good.

Orci and Kutzman are bad, but not quite THAT bad. They need a strong director to shoot their material to make it entertaining.
I liked Blade Trinity (mainly because it was more of an ensemble piece) and to some extent Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (too bad MSJ already fucked up Ghost Rider enough to scare people away).

Man of Steel on the other hand.....
Old 05-05-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
That does nothing to impact the thrust of his argument. Nothing.
It's an all-too common misconception about box office, e.g. "The movie cost $75 million but grossed $85 million, so it made $10 million!" Not high on the totem pole of Problems Affecting The World, but I'm a flibbertigibbet.

Also, I got something you can thrust
Spoiler:
Old 05-05-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It's an all-too common misconception about box office, e.g. "The movie cost $75 million but grossed $85 million, so it made $10 million!" Not high on the totem pole of Problems Affecting The World, but I'm a flibbertigibbet.
Plus, we haven't even gone into how Hollywood studios handle their bookkeeping. I mean, according to them, Warner Bros. still hasn't made a dime off their Batman movies.
Old 05-05-14, 04:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Titanic is expected to break even sometime next year.
Old 05-05-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I admit to being stunned at how much money this made. It really looks like Sony can just go ahead with all plans now and have Miles Morales waiting in line for the reboot.
Old 05-05-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I admit to being stunned at how much money this made. It really looks like Sony can just go ahead with all plans now and have Miles Morales waiting in line for the reboot.
Donald Glover!
Old 05-05-14, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Donald Glover!
and Tobey Maguire as Ben Reilly
Old 05-05-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Overseas, the movie is on par (maybe?), to rake in what the others are making. Domestically each new sequel is making less than the previous movie. Because Marvel now has the merchandising rights, (Sony) won't see a nickel of that. Including inflation, global advertising, Marvel's share of the profits, and other unknown factors, each sequel will be showing diminishing returns.

I seriously doubt Marvel/Disney is going to do Sony a solid and let Spider-Man have a cameo in any of the Avenger's movies.
Old 05-05-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I seriously doubt Marvel/Disney is going to do Sony a solid and let Spider-Man have a cameo in any of the Avenger's movies.
Of course they won't just let them to use Spider-Man for nothing. In my opinion though if Sony, Fox, and Marvel/Disney were smart they would all just agree to collaborate and share profits off films allowing characters owned by all to appear in different films and expand the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole. Right now Marvel/Disney has it pretty well made as they profit off of films they don't make through merchandise and whatnot, but even so if they worked together being able to use characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man in their films would be huge. Same goes for Sony and Fox being able to use characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc. That probably won't ever happen though because I'm sure it would be too much of a chore to get everyone to agree on how to share profits.