Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Jezus...this movie looks awful. You guys will rave about anything. There's nothing original or fresh I saw in it - other than the fact that there's a lot more people around to be eaten.

Looks like that crazy rumor about Chris Pratt's character 'training" raptors to use against the bigger, genetically created dino are true. That stuff risks being fall-out-of-your seat laughable...it could sink the whole film.
So animals can't be trained to hunt with humans?

What a silly criticism to make.
Old 11-25-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Jaws 3-D for the 2010s.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your prediction is gonna be crazy wrong.

My prediction? It makes a fuckton of money and gets better-than-expected reviews.
Old 11-25-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize raptors with feathers!
This doesn't look scary to you?

P.S. it's only 2-3 ft. tall
Old 11-25-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

So Chris Pratt is like Aquaman, but with dinosaurs. Eh, it's all about seeing people getting eaten by dinosaurs.
Old 11-25-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes! Why I'm PUMPED for Jurassic World and love the trailer! Can't wait for this to come out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xdkhcwU3wtA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-25-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jaws 3-D for the 2010s.
Really hoping this is better than that!
Old 11-25-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
As for the genetically-modified big bad dino (that is probably the white T-rex spoiled by the leaked LEGO) they've already resorted to made-up dinos in JPIII with the winged dinosaur. They've also always been fairly liberal with how the supposedly-genuine dinosaurs are portrayed, with the raptors being much larger and the dilophosaur having the venom and neck frill thing completely created for the movie.
You mean the Pteranodon? While not a true dinosaur, that was a real animal.
Old 11-25-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't watched the trailer, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that this movie will be nothing like the first 3, in that the park runs smoothly, all controls in place work fine, everyone behaves logically and intelligently, nothing goes horribly awry, and a good, safe time is had by all the visitors.
Old 11-25-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That said, the idea of Chris Pratt having a pack of dinobuddies is really lame. It only serves to deescalate the threat they pose.
All the Jurassic Park movies have been pure comedy when it comes to humans confronting/fighting the dinosaurs. This one is no different.
Old 11-25-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I haven't watched the trailer, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that this movie will be nothing like the first 3, in that the park runs smoothly, all controls in place work fine, everyone behaves logically and intelligently, nothing goes horribly awry, and a good, safe time is had by all the visitors.
That's the vibe I got.
Old 11-25-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Have to admit I'm underwhelmed by the trailer... just not much energy or excitement to it. The functioning Park shots looked cool, and is probably the best thing shown. Hopefully they're saving the destruction and 'chaos' for the 2nd trailer...

And I agree, the trained raptors take a big part out of the 'us vs them' setup. Maybe it'll be presented convincingly in the film, but I doubt it. Too far...
Old 11-25-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I agree. Conflict in movies has been done to death. This way will be a breath of fresh air.
Old 11-25-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hope this doesn't give JJ any ideas for the Star Wars teaser.

Hey guys...let's just take a random shot from the first movie and use it...without even putting in our new logo or title or anything. Fans will love it!
Sounds like the kind of marketing trick he'd pull .

Originally Posted by Dan
That looks like Jessica Chastain, but I know it isn't.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Lemme guess, the park is running smoothly until Something Bad happens, then All Hell Breaks Loose. Dinos chomp on a few unfortunate souls, the kids are in peril but of course survive.

That being said, I'm still in. I love dinos.
The whole thing is kind of predicated on a one-note premise. There really isn't a hell of a lot you can do with it.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is it me or is there a lot of color grading in those shots? The blue computer room (due to all the blue monitors) I can understand but everything else looked like it was altered for a cooler color pallet as well.
I'm assuming they're shooting digitally, they can probably manipulate whatever they chose in the DI (which they could do if they were shooting film anyway). Maybe it's a deliberate attempt to make it look cold and clinical.

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I always hated the idea of the genetically-modified dinosaur soldiers when they were supposed to be humanoid lizard men with guns but (admittedly based on a single shot) I have to say I'm not totally opposed to Chris Pratt having a crew of friendly raptor sidekicks. As I wrote that I realized how ridiculous it is, but still.

As for the genetically-modified big bad dino (that is probably the white T-rex spoiled by the leaked LEGO) they've already resorted to made-up dinos in JPIII with the winged dinosaur. They've also always been fairly liberal with how the supposedly-genuine dinosaurs are portrayed, with the raptors being much larger and the dilophosaur having the venom and neck frill thing completely created for the movie.

Messing around with genetics is true to the source material too and outside of the first three movies it was the first place any writer ever goes with JP. I know it didn't take long for the toy lines to start messing around with hybrid dinos between movies and I'm sure half the comics and kids books do it too. I know there was an aborted animated series that used genetic hybrids as its core concept.
Wasn't the dinosaur with the frill based on an actual dino? I like these movies, but let's face it, they're little more than glorified Ray Harryhausen movies with huge budgets. The Frankenstein monsters genetically engineered in the labs pretty much fit right in in an attempt to at least do something new.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I know he had a ton of help, but it does look mighty impressive for a "first time big budget" director that only had 1 other feature under his belt.

I'm curious to know what his pitch was since the writing and directing is practically all him and his co-writer from Safety Not Guaranteed.

Them: "Hey, we just made this $750,000 budgeted movie, we have an idea for Jurassic Park"
???
Studio: "Here's $150m, make it happen!"
I'm sure that the studio were very, very clear about what kind of film they wanted and what was expected of him. That said, between him and Gareth Edwards, it's fairly risky for them to take small-budget filmmakers and give them budgets which dwarf the gross domestic imports of Cuba. I'm sure the producers hang around to be damn sure that they're getting what they want and not something artsy.
Old 11-25-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I read an article somewhere that talked about indie or TV directors shooting big budget movies. Basically, they're kept on a tight leash by the studio and are surrounded by a crew that has a ton of experience with these kinds of movies, especially the 1st assistant director.

Jurassic World's 1st AD is Chris Castaldi. Among his recent credits are Man of Steel, The Bourne Legacy, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Iron Man 2, and Transformers 2. He's the unsung hero if Jurassic World does well.
Old 11-26-14, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. Some of ya'll really hating that trailer.
Old 11-26-14, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pratt can't go away soon enough for my liking.
Old 11-26-14, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Wasn't the dinosaur with the frill based on an actual dino? I like these movies, but let's face it, they're little more than glorified Ray Harryhausen movies with huge budgets. The Frankenstein monsters genetically engineered in the labs pretty much fit right in in an attempt to at least do something new.
Yep - the Spinosaurus.
Old 11-26-14, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope we get a lot more of actual interaction with the dinosaurs instead of just running and screaming. I think the original book had a petting zoo if I'm not mistaken. It would be cool to see them as animals and not just monsters.

Chris Pratt training raptors like lions could be cool if done well enough.
Old 11-26-14, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm gonna have a hard time taking Starlord seriously. Smart I can take, as he was smart. But serious scientist not so much. It's like Stifler in that role. Still an in for me. And typecasting never has been an issue for me, but that character was one of the best character embodiments of all time.
Old 11-26-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bruce Dallas Howard's character seems to be combination of Hammond and Ellie.
Old 11-26-14, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Bruce Dallas Howard's character seems to be combination of Hammond and Ellie.
For a moment there I thought she got a brother.
Old 11-26-14, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
This doesn't look scary to you?

P.S. it's only 2-3 ft. tall
It's like a giant turkey.
Old 11-26-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's like a giant turkey.

It comes full circle!
Old 11-26-14, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

After the lackluster part 3 I thought it would be very tough to get this series back on track. That trailer instilled a great deal of confidence in me. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I like the idea of having a trained team of raptors for hunting. Kinda like having the Terminator play the good guy. Count me in.
Old 11-26-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Nothing can possiblie go wrong!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.