Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors whose careers have fallen low and fast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors whose careers have fallen low and fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Actors whose careers have fallen low and fast

Helen Hunt was really overexposed for a while there--I know I got HH fatigue.

Chazz Palmintieri was similarly overexposed, being in practically everything for a few years.
Old 07-11-11, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't see how it could be seen as anything other then a step down. None of the actors named do a film once every 2-3 years, when they were active they were doing 2-3 films a year.

Sinise took CSI after it had been a success and far after he was still appearing in quality films. Sure, Kiefer lucked out but again he wasn't headlining films. And I like Sinise a lot, I'd like to see him back on the big screen with Hanks.

I don't mean to put down TV. I freaking love TV shows more now than I ever have but I don't expect to see movie stars on TV.
I don't understand your issue with movie stars doing TV. It's a job and many of them still work in films during the production offseasons.

As for Forest Whitaker, before he did Last King of Scotland and won an Academy Award for best actor, I would have hardly called him a high in demand A list actor. That Oscar led to more jobs including some very notable TV jobs. He won an Emmy for a guest starring role on ER and he had a very notable recurring part on The Shield for 2 seasons. As for him taking the lead on the failed Criminal Minds spinoff....why not? CBS shows are some of the most watched programs in the U.S. and around the world. It's big time exposure.

I heard that some movie stars don't mind doing TV as a guest star, but don't want to commit to the grueling production schedule. Shooting 13-14 hours a day for 22-24 hours of programming from July until March or April for 5-7 years is a really tough schedule.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-11-11 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Exactly. I just saw that Forrest Whitaker is in a TV series! Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Hey man he was also on The Shield a few years back and brought a hell of a performance. He must have had a good experience with that....similar to Glen Close's presence on The Shield leading to Damages.
Old 07-11-11, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Hey man he was also on The Shield a few years back and brought a hell of a performance. He must have had a good experience with that....similar to Glen Close's presence on The Shield leading to Damages.
Glenn Close won 2 Emmys for Damages and was nominated for 3rd. She was also nominated for an Emmy when she was a series regular on The Shield.

She's the 3rd highest paid cable actor on TV (makes over $200K an episode on Damages)

A 64 year old woman like her would normally be washed up in feature films, but TV actually helped re-ignite her career.
Old 07-11-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we can at least agree that Christian Slater has fallen, with his 3 failed shows in the last few years.

However, IMDB shows 10 (!) movies for this year. I don't know if he just has smaller parts, or if they sat on the shelf, or what.
Old 07-11-11, 05:58 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mention of Lindsay Lohan or Megan Fox? Also I'll throw Luke Wilson out there too. He had a string of decent hits like Old School, Blue Streak, Legally Blonde, and now...speaking of Blue Streak Martin Lawrence? He's on like the third or fourth Big Mama's House now.
Old 07-11-11, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lohan only had a couple of decent flicks: The remakes of The Parent Trap and Freaky Friday, along with her peak of Mean Girls. She's more a case of wasted potential rather than watching an Oscar-winning career burn, like Nic Cage. She didn't have far to fall, really. It just seems like it because she's been a mess for several years and is only in her mid-20s.

Fox is a pretty face and little more. She was always destined for a career between the Jessicas (Alba and Biel).

Gerard Butler comes to mind for this. He was off to a good start with the leads in Phantom of the Opera and 300. Law Abiding Citizen was decent for a mindless action-thriller and he's doing pretty well with voice work. But this guy had the potential to be a huge star and made some funky choices. P.S. I Love You? The Ugly Truth? The Bounty Hunter? If you want to stall your career, star in a rom-com with Jennifer Aniston or Katherine Heigl. 100% success guaranteed. Butler hasn't completely crashed and burned, but he's way behind where he should be in terrms of quality roles.
Old 07-11-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I've never understood the Tom Cruise hate. He scored a hot piece of ass...

If you mean his current wife, it's okay, but nothing too exceptional .

Spoilerized for size , I wouldn't say NSFW, as she is fully clothed.

Spoiler:

I would post one of Nicole from Eyes Wide Shut, but it would be NSFW in a major way!
Old 07-11-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Gerard Butler comes to mind for this.
Old 07-11-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A giant picture of katie holmes removing something from her trunk.

fail
Old 07-12-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I've never understood the Tom Cruise hate. He scored a hot piece of ass...he's happy with his place in life and proud of it...and he still stars in entertaining films.
Tom Cruise is gay. Katie Holmes is not a hot piece of ass. He's living a lie and seems really miserable because of it. He's so incredibly uncomfortable in his skin... it's pretty jarring, unnerving and obvious whenever he makes a public appearance.

He should just come out of the closet, I think people would actually respect him more instead of this silly front he keeps putting up.
Old 07-12-11, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Lohan only had a couple of decent flicks: The remakes of The Parent Trap and Freaky Friday, along with her peak of Mean Girls. She's more a case of wasted potential rather than watching an Oscar-winning career burn, like Nic Cage. She didn't have far to fall, really. It just seems like it because she's been a mess for several years and is only in her mid-20s.

Fox is a pretty face and little more. She was always destined for a career between the Jessicas (Alba and Biel).

Gerard Butler comes to mind for this. He was off to a good start with the leads in Phantom of the Opera and 300. Law Abiding Citizen was decent for a mindless action-thriller and he's doing pretty well with voice work. But this guy had the potential to be a huge star and made some funky choices. P.S. I Love You? The Ugly Truth? The Bounty Hunter? If you want to stall your career, star in a rom-com with Jennifer Aniston or Katherine Heigl. 100% success guaranteed. Butler hasn't completely crashed and burned, but he's way behind where he should be in terrms of quality roles.
He also did RockNRolla, Gamer, How To Train Your Dragon (well...voicework)...

Currently out in a film called Coriolanus (which stars Ralph Fiennes and is also Directed by Fiennes himself...1st time)..which has seemed to come out in some festivals

Last year he did a movie called Machine Gun Preacher (directed by Marc Foster....hrm...)...a biopic on a guy named Sam Childers who..ah fuck it

Machine Gun Preacher is an upcoming action biopic about Sam Childers, a biker preacher-defender of Sudanese orphans
which is what wikipedia has on that film but the man himself is...
a former gang biker who now dedicates his life and resources to rescue children in the war zone of Sudan. Childers and his wife Lynn founded and operate Angels of East Africa, the Children’s Village Orphanage in Nimule, Sudan, where they currently have more than 300 children in their care
Old 07-12-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know why people are always dumping on Nic Cage. Sure he does a lot of garbage, but there are a lot of critically successful actors that haven't had the career Cage has.

For instance:

Sean Penn
Tom Cruise

I think Cage has had better careers than both of them. If you look at Cage's filmography, he's been in a lot of great stuff.
Old 07-12-11, 02:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chadm
I don't know why people are always dumping on Nic Cage. Sure he does a lot of garbage, but there are a lot of critically successful actors that haven't had the career Cage has.

For instance:

Sean Penn
Tom Cruise

I think Cage has had better careers than both of them. If you look at Cage's filmography, he's been in a lot of great stuff.
Your wrong. Cruise was an icon back in the 80's the way Travolta was in the 70's.
Old 07-12-11, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

John Travolta never should have been as famous as he was. It's not like Saturday Night Fever stands the test of time.

I'd rather watch Top Gun, if you held a gun to my head.
Old 07-12-11, 06:59 AM
Banned

For instance:

Sean Penn
Tom Cruise

Are you drunk or just ignorant? Tom Cruise is one of the biggest actors of ALL-TIME and until Will Smith came along was the number one box-office star for like 15 straight years.

I mean, what you just wrote makes absolutely no sense. You have got to literally be 12 years old or just a troll.
Old 07-12-11, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For instance:

Sean Penn
Tom Cruise

Ok, you're right about Sean Penn but to even mention Nic Cage and Tom Cruise in the same sentence is laughable. For quite some time, Cruise was the biggest and most bankable movie star in the world. Even now you'd have to consider him one of the biggest movie stars of all time.

His movies have grossed just under $2.9 billion domestically.

Cage's movies Have grossed $2.1 billion. He's been in more movies Than Cruise but many of them have been crap. He had a really nice run with The Rock, Con Air and Face/Off and now recently with the National Treasure series but many of his roles have been a joke.

Cage has had a very fine career. He made enough money to buy dinosaur skulls and castles and all kinds of stuff but he'll never be considered the movie icon that Cruise was and possibly still is.
Old 07-12-11, 07:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Cage > Penn? Quantity does not equal quality.
Old 07-12-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Penn's a douchebag. I don't like any of the movies he's starred in. At least some of Cage's movies have been enjoyable. Penn should really do the world a favor and move to Haiti. He seems to like it there.
Old 07-12-11, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Penn's a douchebag. I don't like any of the movies he's starred in. At least some of Cage's movies have been enjoyable. Penn should really do the world a favor and move to Haiti. He seems to like it there.
You seem to have some personal problem with him separate from how he performs as an actor.
Old 07-12-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You seem to have some personal problem with him separate from how he performs as an actor.
I, for one, never liked Penn even before I realized he was a douchebag in real life. I think the douchebaggery shines through his performances. Once I realized he was a cockknob in real life, my dislike for him suddenly made sense.

The guy in Transformers 3 who played Sam's girlfriend's boss? He seemed like he was trying to play Sean Penn.
Old 07-12-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, Tom Cruise's name used to get people into seats. His name alone. If Nic Cage or Sean Penn had been in Vanilla Sky, The Firm, or Interview with the Vampire, those films never would have reached 100million.

Cage has always had equally famous co-stars, or people attended on premise alone. He wasn't even top billed in The Rock or Face/Off. He is not the reason ANYONE went and saw National Treasure. Any actor could have filled that spot and the movie would have performed the same.

Sean Penn has never been a box office draw, but a damn fine actor/director (Dead Man Walking, 21 Grams). The Pledge and Into the Wild are two of my favorite films from last decade.
Old 07-12-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Yeah, you're right...I do have a problem with him personally but that has nothing to do with my dislike of his films. Aside from acting, I can't stand Alec Baldwin or Tim Robbins either but I enjoy their movies and completely look past my dislike of their politics and personal beliefs. If I enjoyed Sean Penn's work I would do the same with him, but alas, that's not the case.

Baldwin and Robbins are douchebags too, but at least I like their movies.
Old 07-12-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some actors disappear for awhile but it's nice to see them make comebacks. Robert Downey Jr, Mickey Rourke, etc...
Old 07-12-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Some actors disappear for awhile but it's nice to see them make comebacks. Robert Downey Jr, Mickey Rourke, etc...
Same with Travolta for a while. Usually it's just one role that sort of comes out of the blue that jumpstarts their career again. Obviously Travolta got Pulp Fiction. Rourke was still around but I guess Sin City was kind of his new big breakout role. Downey is kind of a tough one. Even though he had a lot of personal problems he worked consistently for pretty much his entire career. His movies were never big, box office successes though until I guess Iron Man. Apparently now he's an action star. I'm not really sure how or why he got that role, but he's set now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.