Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by story
Did you tap the link for the updated terms of service they "encourage" you to read "carefully"? What company honestly expects you'll read all of that?
Of course not.
Old 01-30-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Of course not.
That's what the internet is for:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...c3&sh=089d8800

The most alarming part is they changed it so that they can just change the price on you for the next month and you don't have time to cancel. I mean, they would get a huge amount of flack for that and I'm not even sure that's legal, but that's what it says.
Old 02-03-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they've been sending out cancellation notices to people they believe are abusing the system... though the people who have mentioned it on reddit swear they're not abusing it. But they're cracking down on something.
Old 02-03-18, 11:02 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I went to see Star Wars again this week at an AMC and without thinking about it I entered in my Stubs email at the kiosk. The ticket was brought down to something like $6 and there was no way to save the rewards for later. Had to either cancel out of the transaction and not enter Stubs info or do it and "lose" the rewards. That's an interesting work-around on AMC's end, if they're trying to curtail people getting rewards on MoviePass purchases. Honestly, I wasn't even thinking when I did it and I'll certainly think twice about it next time.
Old 02-04-18, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

It shouldn't automatically deduct Stubs rewards unless you 'activate' them on the AMC app/website. Are you sure you didn't do that?
Old 02-04-18, 06:40 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It shouldn't automatically deduct Stubs rewards unless you 'activate' them on the AMC app/website. Are you sure you didn't do that?
Correct. I never activate them until right before I use them.
Old 02-04-18, 06:57 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Nope, the only thing I did was enter my email when it asked if I'm a Stubs member, that's it.
Old 02-04-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I'm not a stubs member but I heard some shenanigans about activating rewards automatically or something.
Old 02-04-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Never had an issue myself. I've just started using a kiosk (it's new) at my closest AMC. I have the card with me to scan, so I've never had to enter an e-mail address or other information. And my rewards remain untouched. I plan to hold on to them to use for tickets if Movie Pass ever goes belly up. Of course, I'm assuming those rewards don't expire.
Old 02-09-18, 05:27 AM

The MoviePass subscription service has topped the 2 million mark in subscribers — less than a month after reaching the 1.5 million milestone.
http://variety.com/2018/film/box-off...ticle-comments
Old 02-09-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

So the family went to a local theater last week to see Greatest Showman. It's an older, family run theater, but they do show up in the MoviePass app. We checked in, got the "success" message, and went to pay. But when we tried to buy each ticket, the card was declined. The lady there said that "Those cards hardly ever work here...". I explained that it's basically a debit card, so run it again. Still declined. We just paid out of pocket and headed in to see the film. Afterwards, I sent MP a message thru the app about it, telling them that I didn't need a refund, but they should see if there are redemption issues at this theater. I Immediately got a canned "Thank you for reaching out" message back.

6 days later....a message arrives that a refund will not be issued because a representative did not authorize one on the spot. So I wrote back asking how you get authorization to buy a ticket when it takes 6 days for a reply? A response came back apologizing for high volume. I responded once more saying that I would just go to other theaters that i know don't have problems taking the card.

This morning a new reply stating that they would have their "Theater Team" look into adding this theater to their network. They already show up in the app!!! I can check in! I get "Success!" It just won't process the payment.

I think they just don't get it.
Old 02-09-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only hiccup I've had was at a local theater. The guy ran the card about four times before it successfully took. He didn't say it was declined, though. Might've been an issue with sliding it.
Old 02-09-18, 09:34 AM

There's a flash sale today to renew your AMC Stubs membership for $9.99. Ends at midnight tonight. I'll use all my rewards I earned with MP to renew.
Old 02-09-18, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There's a flash sale today to renew your AMC Stubs membership for $9.99. Ends at midnight tonight. I'll use all my rewards I earned with MP to renew.
Tried using my rewards to pay for membership renewal but it doesn't seem possible to do it as it goes straight to billing my credit card
Old 02-09-18, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Tried using my rewards to pay for membership renewal but it doesn't seem possible to do it as it goes straight to billing my credit card
Did you just activate it? Give it 15-20 mins. I had the same issue.
Old 02-09-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AP article from today. Not much new info for anywhere here who's been using MP for a while.

Spoiler:
NEW YORK (AP) - MoviePass is trying to bring to movie theaters what Netflix did for DVDs and online streaming: Let subscribers watch as many movies as they want for $10 a month.

In doing so, MoviePass has struck a chord with moviegoers and a nerve with the movie industry.

For many people, going to the movies is worth it only a few times a year. Ticket prices keep rising, and moviegoers have plenty of cheaper alternatives, including Netflix.

MoviePass believes it can get people to theaters more often. Major theater chains and movie studios aren't so sure, putting MoviePass' business plan at risk.

Subscribers with MoviePass can watch a movie a day, be it a splashy blockbuster or an indie movie contending for the Oscars.

Though MoviePass works at most theaters, it has key restrictions: It excludes pricier 3-D and Imax showings and most advance online sales. And even if everyone in a group has a subscription, tickets must be purchased individually. Subscribers also complain that MoviePass responds too slowly, or not at all, when there's a problem.

Nonetheless, the thrill of the bargain has sparked interest. MoviePass said Thursday that it signed up a half-million subscribers in less than a month, bringing the total to 2 million.

"I've seen a little over a dozen movies, which is way more than what I would have without it," said Cassie Langdon, a 28-year-old Indianapolis woman who works in sports communications and joined MoviePass in October.
Langdon said she's taking chances on smaller releases instead of sticking with blockbusters and their sequels.

Success could ultimately bring MoviePass' demise. Although subscribers pay just $10 a month, or less with promotions, MoviePass is paying most theaters the full price of the ticket. The U.S. average is about $9, though $15 and up is common in big cities, putting MoviePass in the red with just one movie. By contrast, MoviePass competitor Sinemia offers just two or three movies a month for higher fees.

Plus, with an unlimited plan, MoviePass has to eat some unnecessary costs, such as when a subscriber buys a ticket just to use the theater's restroom.
MoviePass' parent company, Helios and Matheson Analytics, warns in a financial report that MoviePass' future is in "substantial doubt" because it "has incurred losses since its inception and has a present need for additional funding."

The service is ultimately counting on a "gym membership" effect: Subscribers might binge at first, but slow down once the novelty wears off. Although subscribers can cancel anytime, they wouldn't be able to sign up again for another nine months to discourage short-term memberships.
MoviePass wants to work out ticket discounts and revenue-sharing deals on the premise that it's driving more people to theaters. The company is also eyeing a share of concession sales, saying moviegoers are more willing to buy popcorn and soda when scoring a "free" movie.

And MoviePass believes it can help promote movies because it knows what subscribers see, when and where. Promotions could even extend to sending alerts to buy a soundtrack or movie poster as subscribers leave the theater.
But several industry experts say MoviePass doesn't add much to the marketing data from theater chains, online ticketing services and other sources.

MoviePass will have leverage once it has "millions and millions of subscribers," said MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe, a Netflix co-founder who left while it was still a DVD-by-mail business.

To get well beyond the 2 million it already has, MoviePass needs to convince people that they really want to go to movies more often. In most cities, a subscriber needs to watch 13 movies a year to break even. In big cities, it's eight.

"For someone like myself, who usually sees movies twice a year, it wasn't something I would end up doing," said Lisa Berey, a 40-year-old social worker in New York.

And consider that MoviePass' original business plan didn't work out. When the service cost $30 to $50 a month, it had just 20,000 hard-core movie fans. MoviePass slashed prices significantly in August to grow.

There's apprehension that as moviegoers get accustomed to much cheaper prices, consumer anger might be redirected at theaters if MoviePass raises its prices, changes terms or goes out of business.

Adam Aron, CEO of the giant theater chain AMC, has called MoviePass' price "unsustainable." AMC initially threatened legal action, but seems to have backed off. The three theater chains that control roughly half of U.S. screens - AMC, Regal and Cinemark - say they're happy to accept MoviePass' money, but pooh-pooh any revenue-sharing deals.

This fear isn't unfounded. In an attempt to gain leverage with AMC, MoviePass recently excluded 10 of the busiest AMC theaters, including big multiplexes in New York and Los Angeles. Confused customers complained on social media to both AMC and MoviePass.

For their part, theater chains are making their own changes. Many theaters now have more comfortable seats and better food. And though still a novelty, some theaters have servers bring restaurant-style entrees and cocktails to seats, providing both the dinner and movie components of date night.

Meanwhile, Cinemark launched its own subscription program , though the deal isn't as good as MoviePass. Regal is testing higher prices for popular times and cheaper ones during slower periods.

"I have a hunch that most of the theaters are thinking, 'how do we beat MoviePass at this game?'" said James McQuivey, principal analyst at research firm Forrester.

Kind of silly to point out MP eating unnecessary costs when someone buys a ticket just to use the restroom. But it does describe the harm being done when someone stops by just to accumulate rewards credit of some kind.
Old 02-09-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

The MoviePass subscription service has topped the 2 million mark in subscribers — less than a month after reaching the 1.5 million milestone.
http://variety.com/2018/film/box-off...ticle-comments
Again, I ask "2 million active subscribers"? Or the 2 millionth sign-up has occurred? What is their churn?

Also, has anybody done a deep-dive into the app to see what data it is actually collecting?
Old 02-09-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Just renewed mine (expiring this summer) with 2 $5 gift cards I had previously added to my account. Had no problem at all. I had noticed folks on SD earlier in the day complaining about it not working correctly. Did it finally work for you?
Old 02-09-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Again, I ask "2 million active subscribers"? Or the 2 millionth sign-up has occurred? What is their churn?

Also, has anybody done a deep-dive into the app to see what data it is actually collecting?
Considering they forced everyone who wanted to use the costco deal to sign up for new memberships, I'm hoping they're counting active memberships.
Old 02-09-18, 06:52 PM

MoviePass Cuts Price Again, Bundles Subscription With Fandor

MoviePass, already criticized by some theater owners for cheapening the moviegoing experience, is taking it to the next level: It is further lowering its price and adding streaming into the mix, making it a cut-rate competitor to Netflix and the others.

The service that offers a movie ticket each day to subscribers who pay just $9.95 per month said late Friday that it will lower its price to $7.95, and that the new price includes free access to Fandor, a streaming service that boasts the biggest collection of independent films.

The partners said Friday it was a "limited offer" and the Fandor subscription would run out after a year. Plus, there's a $19.95 "processing fee" that brings the one-year total to $115.35, which customers must pay for up front.

MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe told The Hollywood Reporter he hasn't yet decided how long the limited offer would last. "We're having fun. We're energizing the movie industry; constantly experimenting."

“MoviePass is not only a phenomenon in the entertainment industry, but it has sparked a movement, now 2 million people strong,” said Ted Farnsworth, CEO of Helios and Matheson Analytics, the service's parent company.

MoviePass says it is responsible for 5 percent of the nation's total box office nowadays, as it mostly pays full price for the tickets that its 2 million subscribers use.

“With this new offer, we can make the movement even more accessible to moviegoers," said Farnsworth. "I believe our annual subscribers will become influential movie consumers and an amazing asset and bellwether for the film industry as a whole.”

The news announced Friday came as several MoviePass users took the Internet to complain that their subscriptions were canceled after being accused of abusing the service. Some complainers, though, accused the company of canceling them because they simply were seeing too many movies.

Lowe told THR that the cancellations were from subscribers who were using MoviePass to pay down the cost of seeing Fathom Events or Imax content, which is not allowed. Some, he said, were also using their MoviePass cards for a free ticket then cashing them in for gift cards minutes later.

The emails received by some users Friday reads: "Your account has been cancelled effective immediately for violating the terms of service by using your MoviePass card to purchase part of a premium ticket. You cannot sign back up for MoviePass."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...eaming-1083507
Old 02-10-18, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/unli...o-survive.html

MoviePass' parent company, Helios & Matheson, warns in a financial report that MoviePass' future is in "substantial doubt" because it "has incurred losses since its inception and has a present need for additional funding."

You think?

and now they lowered prices even more? Well, keep enjoying this while it lasts.

and really? Some people are actually doing this?

Plus, with an unlimited plan, MoviePass has to eat some unnecessary costs, such as when a subscriber buys a ticket just to use the theater's restroom.
That would really piss me off.
Old 02-10-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ yeah, who the hell would buy a $9 ticket just to use the pisser? Maybe in NYC where all the restrooms are locked? Around here all you'd have to do is ask. I always thought places had to allow restroom use?

Just got another survey about Moviepass from Warner Bros. This is the second one. The first one heavily gauged how much you spend on concessions when you go using movie pass. This one just asked multiple questions about why you would or wouldn't use it.
Old 02-10-18, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Just renewed mine (expiring this summer) with 2 $5 gift cards I had previously added to my account. Had no problem at all. I had noticed folks on SD earlier in the day complaining about it not working correctly. Did it finally work for you?
Yes, it worked. Had to wait about an hour to be able to use the credits.
Old 02-20-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw they posted an Oscar contest on their Facebook page. Person that guesses the most correct winners will get it free for a year. Contest is open to everyone, even non-members. In case of a tie, random drawing.
Old 02-23-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Got my MoviePass (and Card) setup earlier this month. I've seen three films this month and plan on watching at least two more before it's over.

Haven't had any issues with the theaters that I normally frequent. Loving it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.