Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Attack The Block (2011, Writer/Director: Joe Cornish) Alien attack in South London

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Attack The Block (2011, Writer/Director: Joe Cornish) Alien attack in South London

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Attack The Block (2011, Writer/Director: Joe Cornish) Alien attack in South Londo

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'd be willing to bet your favorite movie of the year was a comic book flick
No it wasn't. Sorry I hurt your feelings by not liking this piece of shit.
Old 11-27-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Attack The Block (2011, Writer/Director: Joe Cornish) Alien attack in South Londo

Originally Posted by scott1598
this was a pretty good little horror gem. expected more humor, but happily surprised by the suspenseful nature and good acting. very nicely done.
I agree. I particularly liked the aliens getting attacked by fireworks.
Old 11-27-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'd be willing to bet your favorite movie of the year was a comic book flick
d2cheer's last couple of posts were praise for the excellent Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and amazement that someone might berate Once Upon a Time in the West. He/she is hardly an uninformed film fan; we do ourselves no favors by assuming people with different opinions are philistines.

I must disagree, however, with d2cheer's appraisal of Attack The Block; I think it's unduly dismissive and unfair. ATB has only improved for me whenever I watch it. I've seen it three times now on the big screen, twice in its run and once with my blu hooked up directly to one of my cinema projectors - which looked awesome, by the way - and it's swiftly become one of those films where, even though I know every scene and line by now, I love to watch it unfold. I'm the same way with flicks I grew up with, like The Hunt For Red October and Leon; I wouldn't be surprised if ATB becomes a big "discovery" movie for the next generation of film fans.
Old 12-28-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally watched this and it has some decent set pieces for a low budget flick, but I was rooting for the aliens to kill all those losers.
Old 03-07-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked it. Great pacing and awesome action. Sure, there were some issues, but it was a lot of fun.
Old 03-07-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the movie. Everytime that Moses kid was on screen I swear I was watching Denzel Washington as a kid.
Old 03-07-12, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted all of those stupid kids to die screaming. Thus, the movie failed no matter how good some of its technical merits are.
Old 03-29-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally watched this now that it's hit the HD premiums.

A resounding MEH sums it up nicely.

The kids were annoying, unintelligible and mostly unlikeable. The alien creatures were interesting (though the CGI teeth were distracting), but I expected a lot more out of the design.

So glad they had a Magic Exposition Character to tell us why they were following Moses the whole time!

I did enjoy the frenzied pace to it all, but it ultimately felt like another overhyped fanboy film that failed to live up to it. Monster Squad comparisons are totally unfounded.
Old 04-21-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really liked it a lot.

When I saw that the protagonists were mostly young teens, I groaned a little. I figured it was going to be The Goonies or something like that. However, this is an exciting invasion flick. I really appreciated the fact that it was done on a local scale, and not a global one. The creatures were sufficiently frightening, and the action was believable.

Maybe a little too much HEY HERE'S THE REASON THEY'RE CHASING US dialogue, but without it, it wouldn't have made too much sense.

The accents weren't too hard to understand, although I did need the subtitles from time to time. Jodie Whittaker looked like a young Emily Mortimer, and John Boyega was excellent as the lead.
Old 04-22-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What a good movie! I liked the fact that the kids were unlikable at first and also that it was about this certain group of kids, a group that we rarely get to see fun monster movies about. I liked the monster design and also loved the ending. Definitely reminded of Carpenter and those fun 80's flicks that I grew up with.
Old 01-18-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, a couple years late, but I finally saw this. It was bit of a misfire for me.

Spoiler:
I couldn't get past the opening scene of the kids being predatory thugs, robbing a frightened, innocent woman at knifepoint---and throughout the course of the movie, none of them ever really concluded that that was objectively wrong.

So, I just couldn't warm up to them at all. And I liked just about everything else about the movie---I thought the kids were all quite good actors, the aliens looked pretty cool and scary, and I liked the unique setting. I'm sure the writer/director was doing what he wanted to do, but IMO if had kept those kids as just about the same characters, but NOT had them be thugs at the beginning, but rather just make them sort of loser/outcasts--the whole thing would have worked a lot better. And I think it would have made things more interesting if those kids also thought that the older drug dealers were their enemies, instead of their cool, potential employers.

So, I thought this was a pretty well-made film with some quality effects and performances, but I just didn't care about (and actually, I despised) the kids in general.