Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

[QUOTE=Astrofan;11001023]And, BTW, no you can't do the upside down girl unless you have an 10 foot set than can rotate 180 degrees.

well...yes, you can. From a technical standpoint it can be done.
Old 11-11-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

No time for facts, Dr. Jones!
Old 11-11-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it (fan of Kubrick but not fan of this movie anyway) and Im enjoy in "The Dawn of Man" beginning of movie.
Old 11-11-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Also, don't try to argue anything about 2001 by refrencing the actual year 2001 or our current year. The film was meant to be "the future", not a particular year. They picked an arbitrary year. Will Blade Runner instantly become a piece of shit in 8 years?
This is sort of a pet peeve of mine, where many science fiction films seem required to reference a year (usually in the relatively near future).

Is it because, unless you come right out and say This movie takes place in 2018 that audiences won't be able to figure out that it's science fiction? And it has to be only a few decades because they're afraid audiences won't care about something that's not going to happen in their own lifetimes?
Old 11-12-11, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=Solid Snake PAC;11001146]
Originally Posted by Astrofan
And, BTW, no you can't do the upside down girl unless you have an 10 foot set than can rotate 180 degrees.

well...yes, you can. From a technical standpoint it can be done.
Tell you what, you make it, you post it, and we'll vote on it.
Old 11-12-11, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not whether I can do it, I can't and care not to work in creating cg elements. Think about it though..it can be done.
Old 11-12-11, 10:02 PM

In the first part of the film, when one of the small pod spaceships is landing on the moon, we see dust billowing up from the landing pad. Billowing is caused by the collision of dust and air molecules. But since there is no air on the moon, the dust would not have billowed, and should have been sprayed outward in all directions

When the astronauts on the moon are shown walking toward the unearthed sentinel, they are walking normally, as if on earth. The moon's gravity is one-sixth that of earth; hence, they should have appeared to "bounce" a bit when walking, as was seen in the later Apollo moon landings

During Bowman's EVA, stars are moving by, as though the ship was moving at about 5 light years (30 trillion miles) per second. In reality the star field would be stationary. Discovery's velocity of 28 miles per second is insignificant relative to interstellar distances

The spinning pen on the clipper is not spinning around its center of mass: it's spinning about a point well outside its body, which (no matter the mass distribution inside the pen) is impossible

As perfect as some feel this movie is, it is not without its flaws including the above.
The above flaws dont bother me as almost all movies make this types of mistakes I just dont think this movie is perfect without a single wasted nano-second
Old 11-12-11, 10:06 PM

My take on the monoliths.

The apes discover one and they learn to kill.
The one on the moon is discovered and HAL learns to kill
The third one is discovered and a baby in a bubble is sent back to earth
(as a harbinger of death?)
Old 11-12-11, 10:22 PM

My take on the movie, which I haven't seen argued anywhere else......

HAL was programmed to do what he did before they left Earth.

By whom, and why, I don't know, but he wasn't "possessed" by anyone or anything...killing Poole, etc. was what he was programmed to do from the time he was invented.

Screw the 2010 explanations.
Old 11-13-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
As perfect as some feel this movie is, it is not without its flaws including the above.
The above flaws dont bother me as almost all movies make this types of mistakes I just dont think this movie is perfect without a single wasted nano-second
I agree. The flaws are not a big deal, but they are there.

To me, the most obvious flaw is that the monkeys in 2001 don't look like the common ancestor of chimpanzees and humans (or the common ancestor of all apes). The body type is all wrong. For example, the legs are too long, and the heads are too big. The apes in 2001 are obviously humans dressed up in monkey costumes.
Old 11-13-11, 08:46 PM

In the first part of the film, when one of the small pod spaceships is landing on the moon, we see dust billowing up from the landing pad. Billowing is caused by the collision of dust and air molecules. But since there is no air on the moon, the dust would not have billowed, and should have been sprayed outward in all directions

When the astronauts on the moon are shown walking toward the unearthed sentinel, they are walking normally, as if on earth. The moon's gravity is one-sixth that of earth; hence, they should have appeared to "bounce" a bit when walking, as was seen in the later Apollo moon landings

During Bowman's EVA, stars are moving by, as though the ship was moving at about 5 light years (30 trillion miles) per second. In reality the star field would be stationary. Discovery's velocity of 28 miles per second is insignificant relative to interstellar distances

The spinning pen on the clipper is not spinning around its center of mass: it's spinning about a point well outside its body, which (no matter the mass distribution inside the pen) is impossible

I'm not sure where you get the idea that a perfectly made film doesn't have any technical errors in it. I know of other errors too, but it doesn't change the perfection of this film.

"During Bowman's EVA, stars are moving by, as though the ship was moving at about 5 light years (30 trillion miles) per second."

I don't know where this number comes from.
Old 11-13-11, 09:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'll bet you're a fun person to watch a movie with. -kd5-
Old 11-13-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
To me, the most obvious flaw is that the monkeys in 2001 don't look like the common ancestor of chimpanzees and humans (or the common ancestor of all apes). The body type is all wrong. For example, the legs are too long, and the heads are too big. The apes in 2001 are obviously humans dressed up in monkey costumes.
Yes, that's so obvious. Especially since "the missing link" has yet to be discovered. And duh, of course they are people in costumes. What other choice did they have?

Another science "error" is that no one really knew what the Earth looked like from space, so Kubrick went with the "I doubt you can see the continents" approach, which soon turned out to be false. (Heard Arthur C. Clarke talking about this once.)
Old 11-13-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting, though wrong (at least according to the book).
Old 11-13-11, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yes, that's so obvious. Especially since "the missing link" has yet to be discovered. And duh, of course they are people in costumes. What other choice did they have?

Another science "error" is that no one really knew what the Earth looked like from space, so Kubrick went with the "I doubt you can see the continents" approach, which soon turned out to be false. (Heard Arthur C. Clarke talking about this once.)
It's said they got a good simulation of moon "dirt."
Old 11-14-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat

HAL was programmed to do what he did before they left Earth.
I have always thought that the aliens sabotaged HAL. They only needed 1 star baby.

Last edited by Paul1957; 11-14-11 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-14-11, 02:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

HAL misdiagnosed the problem with the AE-35 unit. This mistake convinces the crew that there is something wrong with hal and that they need to shut him down. When Hal learns this (due to lip reading) he moves to protect himself from being killed by killing them. It turns out Hal is very nearly human, as he fears death.
Old 11-14-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I don't think it was so much that he feared death, but that his primary objective was to see to it that the mission was completed, no matter the cost. He calculated that the mission could not be completed without him, and thus he had to defend himself.
Old 11-14-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with HAL was explained in the sequel.
Old 11-14-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Was this movie made in the 1930s? NASA has been taking pictures of the Earth from space since the early 1960's.
Old 11-14-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Especially since "the missing link" has yet to be discovered.
Scientists reject the idea of the "missing link," so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be discovered.

Another science "error" is that no one really knew what the Earth looked like from space ...
Jason is right. The Earth has been photographed from space since 1959.
Old 11-14-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Was this movie made in the 1930s? NASA has been taking pictures of the Earth from space since the early 1960's.
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Jason is right. The Earth has been photographed from space since 1959.
Sure, he's correct. Here's the first one, from 1946:

Informative!

And here's a 1959 photo:

Breathtaking.

And here's one from 1960:

Amazing.

And here's the first pic of the "whole" Earth, 1966:

Detailed!

So, yes, there were pictures available, but they were esssentially useless in showing what the Earth truly looks like from space... the way we all know it does (taken in 2009):

Old 11-15-11, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, that's so obvious. Especially since "the missing link" has yet to be discovered.
The general characteristics of the common ancestor can be deduced, even though its exact identity is unknown (and in fact, will NEVER be known for certain).

And duh, of course they are people in costumes. What other choice did they have?
I don't know what other options were available, but the costumes could have been modified to approximate the proportions of an ape instead of the proportions of a human.
Old 11-15-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
the costumes could have been modified to approximate the proportions of an ape instead of the proportions of a human.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the precursor to modern man would have proportions closer to that of humans than apes?
Old 11-15-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

they don't learn to kill, but to use tools

they whole thing with HAL killing was that people weren't supposed to touch the monoliths and the alien intelligence "took over" HAL to keep that. i forgot the reason for the mission to Jupiter but in 2010 the monoliths turn Jupiter into a second star to enable the creation of life on one of its moons

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.