Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
I just watched this movie for the first time ever at 38 years old. I have always heard how great a movie it was , a classic , and a must see.

Turns out I dislike this classic movie.
Terrible pacing with 20 minutes of fluff at the begining with the evoltion of man. It takes 10 minutes of screen time everytime a ship lands or takes off. It takes another 20 minutes of traveling through light and shots of Dave's eye at the end.
I love a slow pacing when it adds to the development of a character or situation but this seems to be time filler. Tighten this up by 40 minutes and the film would benifit from it.
You have to understand, the smallest measurement of time on Stanley Kubrick's wristwatch was a half-hour. He just wasn't interested in being concise.
Old 06-06-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
IMO, Tarkovsky's Solaris is the superior sci-fi film and the greatest sci-fi movie of all-time.
I've seen both versions of Solaris and they both left me with meh. When the novel was published the basic theme was an old, worn out hat in western SF. Making a motion picture of this boring tripe didn't improve it.

Hugo Gernsback could have done better.
Old 06-06-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And Kubrick didn't even know me and he did all that to illustrate that people like me will flicker and Die.
Now I am flattered he took the time to make a movie about my intellect.
Will people dumber than me also flicker and die?
Smarter people will live forever I assume?
Kubrick flickered and died himself, so must have the same intellect I have.
I don't think Mabuse was NECESSARILY ripping on your intellect. Maybe he was just trying to point out that our intellect and our accomplishments, as a species, mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the universe.

The head ape--I believe his name was Moon Watcher or something like that more or less became a king or maybe even closer to a God. He touched the monolith and learned how to make tools. To the other apes that was something totally inconceivable. He may as well had a 765 iq. Like I said, he was more or less a God and all he did was learn how to bash stuff with a bone but to the rest of apes he was brilliant. It was pretty subtle but absolutely genius of Kubrick to show the ape God throwing the bone that became the the satelite. 4 million years earlier the greatest technology in the world was a bone. The present time had all kinda of technology but that technology would soon become just as primative as Moon Watcher's bone. As primative as the apes were to the present day humans, the present humans were just as primative compared to the Bowman Star Child.

Even now we believe we, as humans, are the end all be all but in a few million years we will be considered just as primative as the apes from 4 million years ago.
Old 06-06-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is why I asked for the yet unexplained explaination for the ending.
No need to wait. There is already a lengthy, lengthy thread on one of the greatest classics of all time. Believe it or not, you're not the first person to want to discuss it. We've been talking about it here for years. No need for us to rehash here what has been covered so eloquently already.

Here you go.

And another.

And a third.

This is only my 2nd Kubrick film (The Shinning)
I never thought someone could make an entire movie about the lower leg, then Kubrick goes and does it brilliantly.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 06-06-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I think 2001 is brilliant at its core but find the space acrobatic sequences to be a bore in this day and age (I grew up watching similar footage).
Old 06-06-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I never thought someone could make an entire movie about the lower leg, then Kubrick goes and does it brilliantly.
Old 06-06-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I never thought someone could make an entire movie about the lower leg
"Shh! You want to get sued?"
Old 11-05-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please release a DVD:

17 lost minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey FOUND!

In the process of producing their now-canceled documentary on Stanley Kubrick's landmark film, Douglas Trumbull and David Larson have uncovered 17 minutes that Kubrick cut from 2001 just after release—in perfect condition.

While in Toronto to screen a 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Trumbull gave a presentation that showed off a number of never-before-seen images from the Kubrick production that will make their way into Trumbull and Larson's behind-the-scenes photo book, now that Warner has pulled the plug on their ambitious documentary, 2001: Behind the Infinite—The Making of a Masterpiece.

He also let slip that Warner Brothers has recently found, buried in a salt-mine vault in Kansas, 17 minutes of edited footage that Kubrick cut from 2001 shortly after its initial release—and that this footage is perfectly preserved.

Trumbull told the audience that he has no idea what Warner plans to do with the footage, but I'd keep an eye out for a 2001: A Space Odyssey Redux DVD somewhere down the line.

http://blastr.com/2010/12/-17-lost-minutes-of-2001.php
Old 11-05-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

Although this is old news, still...

Old 11-05-11, 03:37 PM
Banned

yeah...old news. Moving along...
Old 11-05-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not even a little damp there Snake?
Old 11-05-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,472 Likes on 936 Posts

Red x.

From what I remember, the reason that Kubrick cut the footage after the first viewing was that it communicated the boredom of space travel all too well. His audience got restless. I've read someplace that it's another ten minutes of Frank jogging. I would be happier if Kubrick's floor sweepings weren't pasted back into the movie.
Old 11-06-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've come to realize that the vast majority of time footage was cut for a reason. I can't imagine how 17 extra minutes that the director felt was necessary to cut in the first place will make this movie better.
Old 11-06-11, 10:33 AM
Banned

Much like I said in the actual thread on the reason for the bump for this thread...I'd like to see the longer cut out of curiosity. Give me a branching method or at least gimme the cut section as a feature. I'd like to see it as a whole just for the hell of it. Just to...better understand on the cut through my own eyes and see how I feel. Granted...it's not the official cut of the film..but simply a version for curiosity on the change.
Old 11-06-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I watched this once and I found it to be the worst movie I've ever seen mainly because of how long it takes anything to happen in it. if there was an cut down version that removed all the unnecessarily long shots it would probably be a good film.
Old 11-06-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Round
I watched this once and I found it to be the worst movie I've ever seen mainly because of how long it takes anything to happen in it. if there was an cut down version that removed all the unnecessarily long shots it would probably be a good film.

Groucho?
Old 11-06-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I read somewhere that a large chunk of the cut footage was with Frank Poole's 2nd space walk to put the antenna unit back that HAL claimed was going to fail. It apparently mirrored the earlier space walk to retrieve the unit too much and seemed repetitive, so Kubrick cut it down and that space walk is now just a short bit before HAL turns the pod to attack Frank. Besides that, the other cuts are shorter segments here and there from parts through the film.

It would be cool to see all of the cut footage, but I wouldn't want any of it reinstated into the film.
Old 11-06-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this once and I found it to be the worst movie I've ever seen
And yet you own "Agent Cody Banks."
Old 11-06-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

As for anyone seeing the film for the 1st time and not thinking it's very good, this is one of those films that seems worst on the 1st viewing. On repeat viewings, it gets better and better as you figure it out more and get more into its whole vibe. It doesn't spell things out and requires reflection, but the content is definitely there.
Old 11-06-11, 05:33 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Having read the book, I'd like to see the uncut version of the movie.

MR Round should stick with Agent Cody Banks... -kd5-
Old 11-06-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

I would rather see just the footage. Leave the film alone.
Old 11-06-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
As for anyone seeing the film for the 1st time and not thinking it's very good, this is one of those films that seems worst on the 1st viewing. On repeat viewings, it gets better and better as you figure it out more and get more into its whole vibe. It doesn't spell things out and requires reflection, but the content is definitely there.
I agree. The first time I saw 2001, I was put off by the slow pace. But the second (and third and fourth...) times, I knew what to expect and I was able to relax and watch the story unfold without bias. The build-up of tension, climax, and ending are masterfully executed.

The film is definitely a classic, but it's not flawless. (What film is?) The ape costumes are unconvincing, and even though the minimalist interiors of the ships have held up pretty well over the last few decades, they still look dated.

For people who would like to see some light shed on the ending, I recommend reading the book by Arthur C. Clarke. It's quite similar, and it goes into more detail. The most obvious difference is that many of the significant events in the book relate to Saturn instead of Jupiter.
Old 11-06-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-06-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many notes!
Old 11-06-11, 09:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
The film is definitely a classic, but it's not flawless. (What film is?) The ape costumes are unconvincing, and even though the minimalist interiors of the ships have held up pretty well over the last few decades, they still look dated.

For people who would like to see some light shed on the ending, I recommend reading the book by Arthur C. Clarke. It's quite similar, and it goes into more detail. The most obvious difference is that many of the significant events in the book relate to Saturn instead of Jupiter.
Every time I hear people say it's not flawless, I tend to tell them they haven't seen it enough. The Sentinel is a short story, not a book. Well, it's part of a collection of short stories. I think Kubrick's tale is a bit more detailed than Clark's 3,800 word short story. And after all, Kubrick and Clark both wrote the screenplay for the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.