Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
4.17%
4.17%
12.50%
20.83%
13.89%
12.50%
12.50%
2.78%
1.39%
1.39%
5.56%
What happens in this movie will stay in this movie.
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Man the way this is looking, I might have to go see it at our local cheap theater when it hits there or just wait for the rental before considering purchase.
Old 05-26-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I really did enjoy it, but agree that it was not anywhere near as good as the first. The fact that I LOVE Vegas is a big part of that, but there is also much more to it that made it a fun time.

In this one, yeah it hits all those beats, and even pokes fun at that 'formula' which was good. But one thing about the outcome...

Spoilers just in case.

Spoiler:
It really SUCKS that the kid lost his finger. I mean...he's a cello player, and he's going to be a freaking surgeon? He should be PISSED!
Old 05-26-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Did someone here actually give this movie a 5 out of 5 rating? Seriously!??
Old 05-26-11, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Did someone here actually give this movie a 5 out of 5 rating? Seriously!??
Yeah, that sounds wrong. I enjoyed the film, but it's not a 5 star film.

Still, it's fun for what it is, and that's an almost complete retread of the original. At the same time, that's the main problem with the film.

And yet, I still laughed out loud a lot, and it was a lot of fun to see Paul Giamatti show up as a supposed drug kingpin and Ken Jeong returning as Mr. Chau. They pushed the boundries a little further this time, and even that couldn't make it more than very good. Still, unlike a lot of other comedy sequels, this is still one very funny movie.

Rating: **** out of *****
Old 05-27-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought the first was average, and I didn't register anything more than a chuckle in the second. I didn't like it at all.

It came out right around the same time as Hot Tub Time Machine last year, a film which I thought was much better and much more deserving of a sequel.

Seeing as Hangover 2 is estimated to rake in 125 mil in 5 days, we can probably expect more mediocrity around the same time next summer.
Old 05-27-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Tub Time Machine came out in February or March, not Summer.

Also The Hangover came out 2 years ago, not last year.
Old 05-27-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I might have to wait until this one hits rental to view it. I had reservations about a sequel, and what I'm reading from fellow DVDTalkers is confirming all of them (i.e. same plot, different locale). Comedies are something that I typically don't view in a theater unless they get really good reviews because they really don't need a big screen to get laughs. The last one I saw in the theater that got bad notices was Your Highness, and I was quite disappointed, even though the epic look almost made it worth seeing on the big screen. This one doesn't seem to have that going for it. Looks like this summer's Sex and the City 2.
Old 05-27-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks like this summer's Sex and the City 2.
Ha ha! Love it, so true.

What's really sad is that "Bridesmaids" will probably end up making half of what "The Hangover Part II" does. Which is unfortunate because it's such a funny film.
Old 05-27-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks like this summer's Sex and the City 2.
Except there's no way this movie is going to bomb.

And Sex and the City 2 had more
Spoiler:
chicks with dicks.

Last edited by dino88; 05-27-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And didn't he steal that line from somewhere anyway?
Old 05-27-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel that I'm being too nice giving the film two stars as the entire film has a "been there, done that" approach, but the film does have one scene of inspired brilliance...

Spoiler:
When the Wolfpack are meditating and Alan has the flashback of the night's events where he sees the gang and himself as children? Genius. For a film that tries to ground itself in reality (ahem), to have someone in the gang that is mentally handicapped and not have anyone address it or show concern or do anything about it is the darkest thing this film has going for it. That, in my opinion, is darker than getting fucked by a transsexual.

Like others, I would've been fine with the sequel using the same approach as the first if it was actually funny. There's some chuckles, but nothing too hilarious.

The film simply exists as a cash grab, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 05-27-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, seems like the consensus is universal here and I feel the same way. There are some laugh out loud parts for sure but this one needed the original writers. I didn't realize until I saw the credits that the original scribes weren't involved which immediately lowered my expectations.

This movie is the same as the first just in a different location.
Old 05-27-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I didn't realize until I saw the credits that the original scribes weren't involved which immediately lowered my expectations.
The original writers had little-to-nothing to do with the original film other than the premise. Scot Armstrong and Todd Phillips did a massive rewrite in the pre-production stage. Phillips was pissed off when the WGA gave Jon Lucas and Scott Moore sole writing credits.
Old 05-27-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone else think Bangkok was chosen as the locale for this simply so there could be ladyboy jokes?
Old 05-27-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure there were lots of reasons for Bangkok. Las Vegas is commonly referred to as Sin City and the same goes with Bangkok, so the two have that connection. It has a reputation for being seedy, even though in reality it's not much worse than any big city. It's also much cheaper to film there.
Old 05-27-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I loved the first one, but kept my expectations for the sequel in check. Even then they weren't met. This just wasn't all that funny.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I feel that I'm being too nice giving the film two stars as the entire film has a "been there, done that" approach, but the film does have one scene of inspired brilliance...

Spoiler:
When the Wolfpack are meditating and Alan has the flashback of the night's events where he sees the gang and himself as children? Genius. For a film that tries to ground itself in reality (ahem), to have someone in the gang that is mentally handicapped and not have anyone address it or show concern or do anything about it is the darkest thing this film has going for it. That, in my opinion, is darker than getting fucked by a transsexual.
That really was a great scene and my favorite part of the movie.
Old 05-27-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I just got back from this a while ago. I think most of you are being too hard on this movie to be honest. I mean from the trailers I pretty much got what I expected. The Hangover with essentially the same plot only in a different location. I guess I don't really understand what some of you expected. Was it as classic as the first? No, but if you ask me it was still a good movie and worth checking out in my opinion.
Old 05-27-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I just got back from this a while ago. I think most of you are being too hard on this movie to be honest. I mean from the trailers I pretty much got what I expected. The Hangover with essentially the same plot only in a different location. I guess I don't really understand what some of you expected. Was it as classic as the first? No, but if you ask me it was still a good movie and worth checking out in my opinion.
will there be a 3rd hang over?
Old 05-27-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by the_dude8
will there be a 3rd hang over?
Of cour$e. WB are just trying to figure out which city to use in the next one. I also hear there will be a goat and Stu will wake up with boobs
Old 05-27-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For a guy who doesn't like either movie you sure like to make your opinion is known and bitch a lot don't you?
Old 05-27-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For a guy who doesn't like either movie you sure like to make your opinion is known and bitch a lot don't you?
First of all, I haven't seen the second movie so I can't like or dislike it. Second, isn't DVDTalk about opinions and discussions? Last, how exactly is this "bitching"?
Old 05-27-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all, I haven't seen the second movie so I can't like or dislike it. Second, isn't DVDTalk about opinions and discussions? Last, how exactly is this "bitching"?
You come in this thread criticizing the movie and you haven't even seen it yet, not to mention in the original thread about the sequel you did the same thing. It's fine to say your word about it and move on but the fact you keep coming back with nothing to contribute except for your criticisms it becomes trolling and is just annoying. You don't like it I can accept but it's people like you who have to keep on coming back and back and back that make it annoying.
Old 05-27-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You come in this thread criticizing the movie and you haven't even seen it yet, not to mention in the original thread about the sequel you did the same thing. It's fine to say your word about it and move on but the fact you keep coming back with nothing to contribute except for your criticisms it becomes trolling and is just annoying. You don't like it I can accept but it's people like you who have to keep on coming back and back and back that make it annoying.
Trolling!? Um, no. And leave it to the Mods to tell people to move on Pal. I'm breaking no laws here. You're starting to sound like that one guy here on DVDTalk who responded the same to everyone who didn't like "Tron Legacy".
Old 05-27-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trolling!? Um, no. And leave it to the Mods to tell people to move on Pal. I'm breaking no laws here. You're starting to sound like that one guy here on DVDTalk who responded the same to everyone who didn't like "Tron Legacy".
I'm not saying you can't post I just find it stupid that people like you feel like they have to keep on. If you don't like something and really don't have anything to contribute why keep posting about it? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to dwell on something you seemingly dislike so much. I just don't get the need for it your contributions are zero especially considering you haven't even seen the film. Like I say I don't have a problem when someone voices an opinion different from my own, but when the same person keeps on and on it becomes annoying. Why not just move on with your posting and go to something else you actually enjoy or at least have seen to have formed an opinion on like I'm going to now with this topic?
Old 05-27-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying you can't post I just find it stupid that people like you feel like they have to keep on. If you don't like something and really don't have anything to contribute why keep posting about it? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to dwell on something you seemingly dislike so much. I just don't get the need for it your contributions are zero especially considering you haven't even seen the film. Like I say I don't have a problem when someone voices an opinion different from my own, but when the same person keeps on and on it becomes annoying. Why not just move on with your posting and go to something else you actually enjoy or at least have seen to have formed an opinion on like I'm going to now with this topic?
Dude, I'm a having a bit of fun. I'm thrilled you loved the movie. Trust me, there are many films I love that so many hate, or haven't seen, who also post multiple times. I could care less. As long as they're not attacking me personally.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.