Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Saw this tonight and luvved it. Was a bit slow in the first half hour and some of the music choices were a little wonky, but I admired the audaciousness of it all.

Albert Brooks was freakin' fantastic and deserves an Academy Award nomination. Who knew the guy who sweated like a nerd in "Broadcast News" could be this sinister? The rest of the cast was also exemplary, though I would've liked to see more of Christina Hendricks (if you know what I mean).
The movie was more an existential drama than the straightforward action flick that the previews promised, but that's prolly why I liked it so much.

Spoiler:
the inside of her skull wasn't enough?
Old 09-23-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Both my wife and I loved it...although she closed her eyes during most of the violent parts.

The sound was great. When the
Spoiler:
first shot was fired after the pawn shop robbery, I jumped in my seat. The music was excellent also.

Felt very 80's.
Old 09-23-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
When the
Spoiler:
first shot was fired after the pawn shop robbery, I jumped in my seat. The music was excellent also.
I had the same reaction, and that almost never happens to me.
Old 09-23-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
The sound was great. When the
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I had the same reaction, and that almost never happens to me.
Add me to the list. And the bad thing is I was expecting something like that to happen and I still jumped.
Old 09-23-11, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto. We saw it in the trailer but...it just had much more oomph watching it in the theater.
Old 09-23-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i jumped too.
Old 09-23-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Same here! A lot of tension in that scene.
Old 09-23-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
But it was "with caveats", in that I was entertained by the Glee concert movie, moreso than "Drive" given their respective genres. Same thing with Five Fast, which entertained me more than "Drive". I'm not bagging on you because you feel the opposite.
My list is just a ranking. For what it's worth, I liked both Drive and Fast Five.
Old 09-23-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it again. Some things I noticed this time around:

Spoiler:
When we're first in Irene's apartment with Benicio and Driver. Benicio comes up to him with a mask on. Driver says something to him about being scary. In the stripper's dressing room scene, Drive is on the phone with Nino and he's visibly shaking and sweat is pouring down his face. He's scared. When Driver finally confronts Nino he's wearing a mask and the scene is like something out of a Friday the 13th movie. He dons the mask to alleviate his fears but moreso to scare Nino.

After Driver kills the guy in the elevator, Irene stands in the parking garage just staring at him. He's breathing hard and sweating. The elevator doors shut and then the camera lands on the Scorpion emblem. In the shot, it really looks like the Scorpion is breathing as the jacket moves.

I think this is one of those movies that has a lot more going on than what's on the surface. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of this flick.
Old 09-23-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this for the second time the other night and noticed...

Spoiler:
when Gosling goes into the make-up trailer towards the end of the movie to get his mask, look behind him. It looks like a row of masks of Christina Hendricks character. The masks have quite a bit of blood on them as well.

If those are of her (they look spot on) that's a nice little touch
Old 09-23-11, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it tonight. It was an OK neo-noir. Take any typical crime genre script and really lay on the pretentious, existential feel and alterna-soundtrack and voila, all the hipsters cream their pants. It could have been worse I guess. I like that the camerawork, photography and editing were all done in a classical style (ie competent). Got pretty bored with the 100 or so helicoptor flyover shots of the city. Some scenes were stretched so thin it seemingly bordered on parody.

It could have been a really great little movie if it weren't so damn self-conciously "artistic".
Old 09-24-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from it. I'm in the camp that thought it was good but nothing special. It definitely takes a long time to get going too.
Old 09-24-11, 04:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Saw this last night and loved it. I understand why some may complain about the slow-moving plot or the artistic aspect of it -- even if self-aware -- I came away from this movie thinking it is so much of a departure from thrillers we've seen in recent years. I liked it...a lot. I think I'll seek out the James Sallis novel it's based on.
Old 09-24-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty amazing. I loved it in fact. I saw some TV spots and I wasn't really impressed; it looked just like another action movie that I could skip. What got me interested in this movie and made me bite? I saw this poster:

I love this poster and most of that love is directed at the font and its color. After seeing that I knew that I would like this movie.

This is definitely more of a slow-burner action film from the 70s and 80s rather than the quick-cut-Jason-Statham action films which dominate the screens now.

This film really reminded me of Michael Mann's Thief. And I love that movie.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Spoiler:
After Driver kills the guy in the elevator, Irene stands in the parking garage just staring at him. He's breathing hard and sweating. The elevator doors shut and then the camera lands on the Scorpion emblem. In the shot, it really looks like the Scorpion is breathing as the jacket moves.
I saw that right off and thought it was pretty fucking cool.
Old 09-24-11, 05:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
This film really reminded me of Michael Mann's Thief. And I love that movie.
That was the first movie I thought of as well. The soundtrack was a big factor -- reminded me of Tangerine Dream.
Old 09-24-11, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alright, you bastards. I've heard of Tangerine Dream. It's been brought up a lot lately now in this thread. Now..via some research I see they did the theatrical music for Legend (I've never seen it though I do want to at some point) Where do I start in my research of Tangerine Dream? Cuz I want to know finally wtf you fools are babbling on about.
Old 09-24-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Saw it this afternoon. Good, but not great. I was very fond of its pacing but my quibbles with it were mostly about poor decisions made in setting up the scenes of violence. Too many things kept jarring me out of my immersion in the film.

Spoiler:

The car scene with Nino was just pretty lackluster. It was a pretty half-assed setup, really. Also, I think a professional mobster and his driver would be a bit likely to notice someone following them for that long, not to mention the guy sitting in the car less than 50 feet from the front door of the restaurant.

I didn't buy the ease at which Bernie splits Shan's arm open (through a chambray shirt no less) with a flick of the wrist, even with a straight razor. It's a little thing, admittedly, but it kind of bothered me.

The fork in the eye thing when Cook is killed was just silly.

The biggest one was the driver just standing there with his back turned when he opens the trunk at the end. He was fairly meticulous up until then and had no reason to trust Bernie. I just don't see him doing something so plainly stupid as that.
Old 09-24-11, 07:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw it today. Good but not great. I didn't like how the entire movie was premised on a ridiculous coincidence that his neighbor gets involved with a fake heist being pulled by Nino, a mobster that Driver's boss is involved with.

And sorry, but having Albert Brooks' character comment on bad luck does not excuse the ridiculousness of this plot device.
Old 09-24-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only problem I had with the movie the more I think about it...

Spoiler:
the elevator scene. The guy was there to kill him...sees him in the elevator with his back turned, & does nothing until Driver turns around and starts stomping his face in.
Old 09-24-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My only quibble and surprised it hasn't been brought up:

There's no way that Chrysler would've been able to catch up to the Mustang GT. Especially in the context of the scene where the Driver was behind the wheel.
Old 09-24-11, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My only quibble and surprised it hasn't been brought up:

There's no way that Chrysler would've been able to catch up to the Mustang GT. Especially in the context of the scene where the Driver was behind the wheel.
I thought that during the film, and just assumed that the Chrysler was souped up like Driver's car was at the beginning of the film.
Old 09-25-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I thought that during the film, and just assumed that the Chrysler was souped up like Driver's car was at the beginning of the film.
Same.
Old 09-25-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it last night, loved it! Agree its not for everyone. Slow pace worked and may have been what made me jump along with many others above as it lulled us into expecting the scene to stay 'quiet'.

Some above debated the Driver's motivation....I say it is definitely money. In the scene where he was asked to add a roll for $500 bucks...of which he got half...showed he's not rolling in dough riskng his life legally.

Streamed the music all night. Nice look, nice sound, nice surprise since I went in not knowing a thing about the film other than my local reviewer gave it a good review.
Old 09-25-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Saw this Friday and it dethrones 13 ASSASSINS as my movie of the year.

Refn took a simple, some might say, "tired" premise and elevated it to a stylish, moving piece of art. What makes it perfect in my book is Gosling who is the only modern actor I've seen who channels McQueen naturally and comes off as completely, believably cool.
Old 09-25-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
alright, you bastards. I've heard of Tangerine Dream. It's been brought up a lot lately now in this thread. Now..via some research I see they did the theatrical music for Legend (I've never seen it though I do want to at some point) Where do I start in my research of Tangerine Dream? Cuz I want to know finally wtf you fools are babbling on about.
Start with their brilliant soundtrack for William Friedkin's Sorcerer. If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and watch it. This is one of the most underrated 70's action suspense films. Tangerine Dream's work on this film is breathtaking. You really can't go wrong with any of their work from the 70's. They've done quality work for 40+ years now, but that's where you start.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorcerer-1977-...6998579&sr=8-1

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.