Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Originally Posted by anomynous
After reading this thread, I suppose that I must be autistic or retarded.
Don't be too hard on yourself. We still like you.
Old 02-13-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

The movie should have ended with the Driver choking on a toothpick.
Old 02-13-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WIth that jacket, I thought they were gonna show him as a Hong Kong Buffet delivery driver.
Old 02-14-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 02-15-12, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

goddamn it. that's awesome.
Old 02-15-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, I didn't know Mario was autistic.

*runs away*
Old 02-20-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a general rule I abhor over the top murder scenes in movies and will usually avoid these types of movies (Goodfellas for example). I just don’t care for the stuff. I had no clue that this movie included several of these type of scenes. Regardless, I loved the movie. Totally loved it. I loved the casting, their performances, the tone, the mood, the music and most of all the story. Were it not for the killing I’d go out and buy it today. One of the best movies I’ve seen in years.

Last edited by madcougar; 02-21-12 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Same here although I love the kill scenes.....Haven't watched the same film this many times (up to 5 so far) in years - can't even remember the last time.

I seriously watch this flick just to chill out sometimes as well.
Old 02-20-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
Same here although I love the kill scenes.....Haven't watched the same film this many times (up to 5 so far) in years - can't even remember the last time.

I seriously watch this flick just to chill out sometimes as well.
Outside of the violence and the couple of chase scenes... it's a very chill movie.
Old 02-20-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,076 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
As a general rule I abhor over the top murder scenes in movies and will usually avoid these types of movies (Goodfellas for example). I just don’t care for the stuff. I had no clue that this movie included several of these type of scenes. Regardless, I loved the movie. Totally loved it. I loved the casting, their performances, the story, the tone, the mood, the music and most of all the story. Were it not for the killing I’d go out and buy it today. One of the best movies I’ve seen in years.
I don't mind over the top violence in movies but my problem with the violence in Drive is that it seemed to be unnecessary. Take the elevator scene, for instance. It was much more disturbing to have the camera focused on Ryan Gosling's face as The Driver's was stomping the guy over actually seeing the guy's head being crushed. I think it would have been much more effective had the camera lingered on Gosling's facial expression the entire time. Leaving the violence to the audience's imagination can be more effective than showing a dummy head popping.

It's kind of a shame considering the entire first half of the movie played it low key. Once the over the top violence started the movie started to go downhill for me.

Now that's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie but I think it has its flaws.
Old 02-20-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I don't mind over the top violence in movies but my problem with the violence in Drive is that it seemed to be unnecessary. Take the elevator scene, for instance. It was much more disturbing to have the camera focused on Ryan Gosling's face as The Driver's was stomping the guy over actually seeing the guy's head being crushed. I think it would have been much more effective had the camera lingered on Gosling's facial expression the entire time. Leaving the violence to the audience's imagination can be more effective than showing a dummy head popping.

It's kind of a shame considering the entire first half of the movie played it low key. Once the over the top violence started the movie started to go downhill for me.

Not showing the violence would have romanticized it; the glimpses Refn gives are a grim reminder that the Driver is a man capable of very ugly things.
Old 02-20-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Did not mind the violence.
Now if it would have had alot of smoking and blasphemy then that would have been a different story.
Old 02-21-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched this movie last week expecting something great given the praise I've read here. After the first 10 minutes, it was all downhill. Big time yawn fest. They took the absolute best part of the movie (the beginning) and ignored it and instead focused on some tired Quentin Tarantino-spankfest.

And Albert Brooks deserves an Oscar because he played a straight role? Please.
Old 02-21-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Watched this movie last week expecting something great given the praise I've read here. After the first 10 minutes, it was all downhill. Big time yawn fest. They took the absolute best part of the movie (the beginning) and ignored it and instead focused on some tired Quentin Tarantino-spankfest.

And Albert Brooks deserves an Oscar because he played a straight role? Please.
Um...what?

Not liking the movie is fine, but the movie was based around him being a Driver for robberies. They didn't ignore it.
Old 02-21-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kinda understand what he means. We get treated to an incredible opening and then the next half hour is Corky falling in love.
Old 02-22-12, 12:52 AM

Got one of the extra 24 x 36 SignalNoise posters, and it's the shittiest quality poster I've ever had. I'm so glad I wasted my money on this.

It comes with little creases all over the place, some marks on it, and it's wavy when I put it in the frame. When it's in the frame it just magnifies all the creases, and it's the most distracting thing ever. I can't even look at the poster, all I can see are the creases on it.

I'm sure someone on ebay will want it.
Old 02-22-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous
Um...what?

Not liking the movie is fine, but the movie was based around him being a Driver for robberies. They didn't ignore it.
He drove for one robbery after the first scene. Then the music, the jacket, the deadpan expression, the over the top violence, meh. The movie was OK but the way people were talking about it, I expected a hell of a lot more.

And what was the deal with him wearing that bald man disguise when he offs Nino? That was dumb.

I've seen a few Gosling movies lately and he has never matched Blue Valentine, IMO.
Old 02-22-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He drove for one robbery after the first scene. Then the music, the jacket, the deadpan expression, the over the top violence, meh. The movie was OK but the way people were talking about it, I expected a hell of a lot more.

And what was the deal with him wearing that bald man disguise when he offs Nino? That was dumb.

I've seen a few Gosling movies lately and he has never matched Blue Valentine, IMO.
Old 02-22-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

per imdb and the director, the Elevator scene had to be cut down due to it being too violent, which means, if we were to ever get a Criterion directors cut version, that scene will probably show far more shots of the head being stomped in instead of the 1 or 2 that are in the current version
Old 02-22-12, 02:20 PM

He drove for one robbery after the first scene.
Which the whole plot was based around, therefore the movie didn't ignore he drives for robberies.

Heat's a heist movie and it only has two robberies. Doesn't make it not a heist movie. Just saying.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched Heat in a long time, so it may be three, but still.
Old 02-22-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's fine but it doesn't dispute the point that the initial scene WAS the movie. I never said it ignored the fact that he was a driver just that there was no driving after the first scene save the one staged robbery.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Another genius who thinks this was a masterpiece of cinema?
Old 02-22-12, 02:34 PM
Banned

If you didn't get why he wore the mask then you completely missed on this movie and weren't paying attention. Sounds like you were ready to watch an action flick and were disappointed. That's not what this movie is a about.
Old 02-22-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bootsy
If you didn't get why he wore the mask then you completely missed on this movie and weren't paying attention. Sounds like you were ready to watch an action flick and were disappointed. That's not what this movie is a about.
Oh please. Get this bullshit from Gosling, he doesn't even know:

"Basically when I read it, in trying to figure out who would do something like this, the only way to make sense of this is that this is a guy that's seen too many movies, and he's started to confuse his life for a film. He's lost in the mythology of Hollywood and he's become an amalgamation of all the characters that he admires.I could relate to that because back when I was a kid, when I first saw First Blood, it kind of put a spell on me and I thought I was Rambo. I went to school the next day and I put all these knives in my Fisher-Price Houdini kit and I f**king threw them at all these kids at recess, and I got suspended. I didn't hit any kids and I didn't hurt anybody, thank god, but my parents were like, "You can't watch violet movies anymore." They were careful about what they showed me because [movies] really did have a big impact on me. They said I could only watch Bible movies and National Geographic films, but those are really f**king violent, you know [laughs]--but I could see where they were going."
And yes, since the trailer I saw was composed of the first scenes of the movie, I was expecting more driving, more robberies. However, I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't that but then became disappointed with the absolutely ridiculous violent scenes, and the casting of the Malcolm in the Middle guy and the the villains.
Old 02-22-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh please. Get this bullshit from Gosling, he doesn't even know:

And yes, since the trailer I saw was composed of the first scenes of the movie, I was expecting more driving, more robberies. However, I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't that but then became disappointed with the absolutely ridiculous violent scenes, and the casting of the Malcolm in the Middle guy and the the villains.
You just lost any credibility you may have had with that statement.
Old 02-22-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

On another note, that bald mask looks like the same as the disguises the Ninja Turtles used when they went into the city.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.