Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Originally Posted by Mittman
Patman -- has ANYTHING ever gotten the elusive A+?
Patman 2: Pat Harder
Old 09-20-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Originally Posted by RichC2
Patman 2: Pat Harder
Also...

Patman Begins
Old 09-20-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
I wanted to like this movie more, but in the end, I just don't have any real affinity to the driver dude (Gosling). Sure, the extended gazing/staring scenes didn't help things, and I never got the idea he really knew what he was getting into when it goes really bad. There are some nice stylistic choices and touches (the whole 70s vibe in terms of tone, cinematography), but having an enigmatic protagonist just didn't work for me.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Why do people not care if there is dialogue in movies like Transformers?
This didn't need it. You could see it all on Goslings face.
Fast Five better than Drive?

I enjoyed the movie. Best time I have had at the movies in a while.
Should be interesting to see what this Director does with Logan's Run.

Last edited by riley_dude; 09-20-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Why do people not care if there is dialogue in movies like Transformers?
This didn't need it. You could see it all on Goslings face.
Fast Five better than Drive?

I enjoyed the movie. Best time I have had at the movies in a while.
Should be interesting to see what this Director does with Logan's Run.
Hell yes.
Old 09-20-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Fast Five better than Drive? In terms of being entertainment value, yes. In terms of a piece of cinema , no. I judge my movies on how good they are at being what they supposed to be, so by that standard, both succeeded.
Old 09-20-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Fast Five wasn't very entertaining. That worries me.
Old 09-20-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Fast Five better than Drive? In terms of being entertainment value, yes. In terms of a piece of cinema , no. I judge my movies on how good they are at being what they supposed to be, so by that standard, both succeeded.
There should be a certain point where those two lines intersect. For me, the best movie is always the most entertaining.
Old 09-20-11, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive is the better film and one I heavily enjoyed as well. Fast Five was merely entertaining w/ solid action...let's not fool ourselves. Drive is better film.
Old 09-20-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Perhaps you don't read all the movie threads here, so you missed some of the films I gave a B- and better. Then again, someone else asked the same thing, and I gave them a list of the recent year's worth of films I grade B- or better, so I'm not sure why I'm getting singled out. Was it because I simply refuse to lavish praise on this particular movie? I realize others really liked it, I wish I really liked it, but I didn't.

If I can find that post with the list of movies, I'll edit this post and add the list here as well.

EDIT - oh crap, that was a list of movies I rated C+ or worse. I guess I'll have to dig up some old reviews...

Films from the past 6 months I graded B- or better:
Contagion
The Debt
Warrior
Our Idiot Brother
Glee 3D Concert Film (with caveats)
The Help
The Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Horrible Bosses
Larry Crowne
Midnight in Paris
The Tree of Life
Kung-Fu Panda 2
Thor
Five Fast
Insidious
Soul Surfer
Scream 4
Atlas Shrugged
Hanna
Cat Run
Source Code
Limitless
Paul
The Lincoln Lawyer

Yeah, I hate movies.
The majority of of this list is better than Drive.

Hanna, Warrior and Apes are my top three.
Old 09-20-11, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
The majority of of this list is better than Drive.

Hanna, Warrior and Apes are my top three.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S1QzZ15-L38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-20-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S1QzZ15-L38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice.
Old 09-21-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786

Nice.
Why are you laughing? Because it is bullshit that the majority of that list is nowhere near better than "Drive".

Edit:

However, I do think the following from that list are some of my favorite films of the year (so far):

Contagion
The Debt
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Midnight in Paris
Insidious
Hanna
The Lincoln Lawyer

And from my own list:

Sarah's Key
Winter in Wartime
X-Men: First Class
Bridesmaids

Last edited by Daytripper; 09-21-11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved DRIVE, but this movie may have broken me of going to the theaters anymore. A crowd of 10 obnoxious people in their early 20s took up the row behind me, and broke into hysterics at the aftermath of every tense "encounter". The new plasma I picked up on sale during Labor Day will definitely earn its due from here on out!
Old 09-21-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got pretty lucky with my audience. I think the intensity of the violence shut everyone up.
Old 09-21-11, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I always enjoy Patman's reviews on stuff, but we have to remember he is difficult to please.

A few years ago in the Book Talk forum, Patman served this up:

The Purpose Driven Life --- A

The Bible --- B- (which I thought was a good score for that book)
Old 09-21-11, 09:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Patman reviewed The Bible??

Also, I watched Drive last night. I thought it was great! It had all the right things going for it and an uncompromising vision of what it needed to be.
My wife commented that the movie would have felt completely timeless had it not been for the cell phones. I said that I was glad that they all seemed to use "normal" cell phones, and not smartphones (there might have been a Blackberry or something in there).

edit: I wanted to comment on a scene involving Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston.
Spoiler:
When he shakes his hand, twists his arm slightly, then cuts him with his straight razor. Man!! His line, right at that moment, "There's no pain. It's done. It's done..." wow. I don't know why, but out of all the violence in the film, that single moment was the most chilling.

edit #2: My wife's co-worker's fiance had the following to say, which I find hilarious and true:
“I love how Drive is tricking action movie fans into watching a deliberately paced and beautifully shot arthouse film. It is the great movie equivalent of melted cheese on vegetables.”

Last edited by Dan; 09-21-11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

5/5. 10/10. Absolutely loved this movie. Best movie I've seen this year and one of the coolest soundtracks I've heard in years. I think not knowing a thing about the movie besides the director and star really paid off. Hell, when I was buying the ticket I asked for a ticket for Driver.
Old 09-21-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Calling Fast Five better than Drive is like calling Meet the Spartans better than Airplane.

Oh and Patman lost all credibility when he rated Glee higher than Drive.
Old 09-22-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Patman reviewed The Bible??
Actually, I reviewed an annotated version, called "The Bib", which was just deliciously paced and rewarded random page readings.
Old 09-22-11, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Calling Fast Five better than Drive is like calling Meet the Spartans better than Airplane.

Oh and Patman lost all credibility when he rated Glee higher than Drive.
But it was "with caveats", in that I was entertained by the Glee concert movie, moreso than "Drive" given their respective genres. Same thing with Five Fast, which entertained me more than "Drive". I'm not bagging on you because you feel the opposite.
Old 09-22-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mittman
Patman -- has ANYTHING ever gotten the elusive A+?
The Empire Pats Back.
Old 09-22-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I'm going to watch this again tomorrow.
Old 09-22-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It's Pat!
Old 09-23-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Saw this tonight and luvved it. Was a bit slow in the first half hour and some of the music choices were a little wonky, but I admired the audaciousness of it all.

Albert Brooks was freakin' fantastic and deserves an Academy Award nomination. Who knew the guy who sweated like a nerd in "Broadcast News" could be this sinister? The rest of the cast was also exemplary, though I would've liked to see more of Christina Hendricks (if you know what I mean).

The movie was more an existential drama than the straightforward action flick that the previews promised, but that's prolly why I liked it so much.
Old 09-23-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

saw it tonight and list most loved it. Loved that Gossling was the strong mostly silent type, not needing words to sum up the situation.

Im curious too, had Neil Marshall stayed on and directed the movie, I take it wouldn't get nearly as much acclaim, as i don't think he would of gone with the deliberate slow pacing and lack of fast cutting

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.