Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

I was about to heap loads of praise onto this film until it abruptly ended. I didn't care for the ending at all. Though now reading some of the posts here I might appreciate it a little more.

My problem with the ending:

Spoiler:
We're never shown what finally set her off to the point where she would leave. We could assume it was a myriad of troubling things, but mostly it was likely witnessing the murder, but that actually seemed like it was resolved. I thought that was the flashback we were all waiting to be resolved. Not so much wondering if she's going to get away but what finally set her off despite her seemingly being okay with everything else including getting raped.

Definitely, amazing performance by Olson. She really immersed herself in the role including not being shy about her body. Looks-wise she reminded me of a younger Vera Farmiga. She's definitely on my radar now because she was, really fantastic. Even better Jennifer Lawrence's turn in Winter's Bone last year.

One last thing, despite the ending, it was a fantastic film and another reason why 2011 was such a good year for movies.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 02-29-12 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-23-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

The ambiguous ending was also disappointing for me, wish there had been some sort of resolution or true ending. I wasn't familiar with Olsen until now, but she's one to watch for the future. Great performance. Really attractive too, my kinda girl.
John Hawkes never disappoints, solid in his role.
Old 12-01-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally checked out this film, not bad. I tend to agree about the ending, a lifetime of paranoia ahead for our protagonist...
Old 12-01-13, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still haven't caught this one.
Old 12-01-13, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I made one post earlier in the thread, but I never expressed how excellent I thought the film was. Olsen was a revelation and the filmmaking was assured. One of the better films I've seen in the past few years.
Old 12-01-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the same misgivings about the ending too- but upon reflection, I think not tying everything up with a bow in terms of spelling everything out was the right way to go.

I agree it's not satisfying at the time, when you are expecting or hoping for a conventional narrative or "ah Ha!" moment to prove everything had a point.
Immediately afterwards I doubted this was anything I would bother seeing again, but the more time that passes, the more interested I am in revisiting it precisely because of that quality.
Old 12-01-13, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ending felt abrupt when it happened, but I immediately understood what the director was doing and think it's entirely appropriate.
Old 12-01-13, 02:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

i've said it before but Olsen is sublime in this role and many roles. MMMM is a perfect example of her acting fluency.