DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/590425-martha-marcy-may-marlene-2011-dir-durken-elizabeth-olsen-john-hawkes.html)

riotinmyskull 05-05-11 04:00 AM

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8nP4qqrMj5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441326/

Haunted by painful memories and increasing paranoia, a damaged woman struggles to re-assimilate with her family after fleeing an abusive cult.
looks amazing :thumbsup:

Solid Snake 05-05-11 04:15 AM

Re: MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

I dunno about amazing just based off that trailer but it has my interest.

kstublen 05-05-11 04:50 AM

Re: MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011) (dir. Durken) (Elizabeth Olsen, John Hawkes)

Yeah, it looks interesting for sure. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it. Thanks for posting.

---

Funny that that's the Olsen Twins little sister.

sauce07 05-05-11 08:13 AM

Looks like John Hawkes might get his second nomination in as many years. Good for him.

RichC2 05-05-11 08:17 AM

Oh so she's the one that got the actual talent in the family.

Gunde 05-05-11 08:32 AM

She's definitely the better looking sister. Also, she gets nekkid in this flick.

riotinmyskull 08-23-11 11:21 AM

http://i52.tinypic.com/oaasew.jpg

Solid Snake 08-23-11 11:29 AM

QR code eh?

The Bus 10-12-11 06:21 PM

Saw this last night at the NYFF. Great film, and interesting cinematography and editing. The filmmakers execute really well on confusing the audience (even if only momentarily) on whether something is happening in the present or the past. I think the ending will also start a lot of discussions.

In the Q&A afterwards, Hawkes mentioned that he was the one asked to do this part (Olsen was the only one who auditioned). He said he didn't want to do a cult movie initially; he gets offers at least once a year to do a Manson biopic.

Recommended.

Giles 10-12-11 08:15 PM

seeing this next month at the VAFF - can't wait!

Rypro 525 10-14-11 04:07 AM

son of a bitch, this is playing at the Bethesda landmark starting on Oct 28. Mainly cause i don't know where that one is

d2cheer 10-14-11 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10962716)
he gets offers at least once a year to do a Manson biopic.

No hard to see why... great actor though.

DonnachaOne 10-14-11 01:02 PM

I've seen it too, and I really liked it. Olsen gives a fantastic performance.

TheBang 10-15-11 10:47 AM

Saw this one tonight. Olsen is pretty good, and well, if you want to see Olsen boobs and butt, this is the movie for that.

The cult stuff was pretty creepy.

BJacks 10-26-11 04:46 PM

John Hawke's haunting performance of "Marcy's Song" from the film is now online.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9NGQD63qAOw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jacob_b 10-26-11 05:56 PM

I wish it played in more places

Osiris3657 02-05-12 09:42 AM

It seems there is almost no interest in this. Comes out on DVD/Blu next month, have it at the top of my rental queue.

Patman 02-05-12 09:51 AM

Elizebeth Olsen looks like the prettier sister of Maggie Gyllenhaal.

SPiRAL 02-05-12 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 11103406)
Elizebeth Olsen looks like the prettier sister of Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Agreed. Her sisters have all the money, but she has all the talent, looks and body.

dsa_shea 02-05-12 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11103397)
It seems there is almost no interest in this. Comes out on DVD/Blu next month, have it at the top of my rental queue.

I've been waiting on this one so I'm definitely interested.

Throwing Copper 02-06-12 04:28 PM

This was a hell of of a film. Well directed, some good actors, too.

I didn't find it all that confusing, like some have, but I'm still not exactly sure what happened in the final scene of the film.

And yes, Liz Olsen is a beautiful girl. Never thought I'd see one of the Olsen sisters with an actual woman's body. :D

Oliver Clothesoff 02-08-12 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 11105196)

I didn't find it all that confusing, like some have, but I'm still not exactly sure what happened in the final scene of the film.

It's ambiguous on purpose, I think.

Spoiler:
Is she still being pursued by the cult and will the guy in the truck run them off the road, kill the sister/husband, and bring her back to the 'family'? Or is it all in her head and she's finally escaped, but needs ridiculous amounts of therapy to get past the trauma?

Sex Fiend 02-08-12 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff (Post 11107394)
It's ambiguous on purpose, I think.

Spoiler:
Is she still being pursued by the cult and will the guy in the truck run them off the road, kill the sister/husband, and bring her back to the 'family'? Or is it all in her head and she's finally escaped, but needs ridiculous amounts of therapy to get past the trauma?

Yeah, that was my take on it, too.

Spoiler:
It's probably all really in her head, and is meant to illustrate she is probably going to be paranoid about the cult for the rest of her life. But since the movie is told from her POV and she is an "unreliable narrator," we as the audience aren't meant to be certain as to what is real or imagined.

sauce07 02-08-12 01:17 PM

I loved the movie as well, it does a great job capturing paranoia. The director does try to confuse the audience but it's not a bad thing, it allows you to see the world through the protagonist's eyes. John Hawkes is hypnotic, I can't believe he didn't get major awards hype.

Supermallet 02-08-12 02:09 PM

I don't think the cult finds her at any point, even if they were looking for her. The suggestion is all in her head, imo.