Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Sidney Lumet

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: RIP Sidney Lumet

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not as familiar with his filmography as I would like to be. However, he is unquestionably one of those great and admirable directors who helped to propel film-making forward. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace.
Old 04-10-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not as familiar with his filmography as I would like to be. However, he is unquestionably one of those great and admirable directors who helped to propel film-making forward. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace.
this is a major reason why i will never trust your movie reviews. no offense.
Old 04-10-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
this is a major reason why i will never trust your movie reviews. no offense.
That seems a bit silly -- It's impossible to see every film, and yet I have seen thousands. I don't understand how anyone would want to discredit the validity of my opinions based on the fact I haven't seen everything put out by one (very gifted) film-maker.
Old 04-11-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other director who could draw career-best performances out of actors like Lumet could was Elia Kazan. R.I.P.
Old 04-11-11, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
you make no fucking sense. Scarface, I do like the film...I'll admit, at it's worst is a HUGE pop culture beast that won't unfortunately die and is totally misunderstood by the youth cuz...Tony Montana was the guy who started from noting and became a big guy..and he was visually cool to these people. Godfather is a romanticized view of the mob.

DDA isn't either of those two things. Pacino isn't a cool character in the sense of visualizing your main character. His DDA character is soooo opposite of MC and TM....that he might seem kind of pahetic compared to their view of Pacino via Scarface and The Godfather films.
But if a young person likes those 2 movies it would make sense to like a movie that was considered a great film back in the 1970's. Of course today's young movie goers are not going to care for DOG DAY AFTERNOON or most of the great movies from the past. About the only thing that today's youth of any race that they will enjoy is THE 3 STOOGES. I took a small poll and done my own test on that. That's where we are today and why we get these remakes and movie series .
Old 04-11-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What I'd give to be part of one of wm lopez's informal polls...
Old 04-11-11, 01:11 PM

wm lopez, show your informal poll group Serpico. Pacino's pretty cool in that one by Lumet

Respect to the guy. He directed some masterpieces. Network was 30 years ahead of its time

I also just realized now that Lumet directed Prince of the City, which was excellent and tough
Old 04-11-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I would like to recommend a Lumet film that is seldom talked about, The Offence. Sean Connery is blistering as a British detective whose years of witnessing violence and death on the job have taken their toll and causes him to lash out violently on a suspect. Ian Ballen as the suspect also gives a great performance.
Old 04-11-11, 02:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll have to check that out. I was woefully ignorant of Lumet's work until about 5 years ago when I went to a screening of Serpico and was really impressed. Before that I think I'd only seen 12 Angry Men and Network. Over the last few years I've been slowly watching the bulk of his great films. The Pawnbroker, Before the Devil Knows..., Dog Day, Murder on the Orient Express, The Verdict, Find Me Guilty; all are really great films.

I too was suprised by the poor quality of Q&A. I remember when that film came out and it got rave reviews. It's really tepid and uninteresting.

The one really big rave I have to give is Prince of the City. It's an absolutely incredible film. It should be mentioned in the same breath as The Godfather and Goodfellas as the finest epics about American crime. Prince of the City is an incredibly detailed look at police work, crime and corruption. At almost three hours long it makes Serpico (as great as it is) look like a Cliff's Notes fairytale version of police corruption. I can't recomend it more.
Old 04-11-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I'll have to check that out. I was woefully ignorant of Lumet's work until about 5 years ago when I went to a screening of Serpico and was really impressed. Before that I think I'd only seen 12 Angry Men and Network. Over the last few years I've been slowly watching the bulk of his great films. The Pawnbroker, Before the Devil Knows..., Dog Day, Murder on the Orient Express, The Verdict, Find Me Guilty; all are really great films.

I too was suprised by the poor quality of Q&A. I remember when that film came out and it got rave reviews. It's really tepid and uninteresting.

The one really big rave I have to give is Prince of the City. It's an absolutely incredible film. It should be mentioned in the same breath as The Godfather and Goodfellas as the finest epics about American crime. Prince of the City is an incredibly detailed look at police work, crime and corruption. At almost three hours long it makes Serpico (as great as it is) look like a Cliff's Notes fairytale version of police corruption. I can't recomend it more.
I agree with everything you mentioned. I actually liked the first half of Q&A, but it went quickly downhill after that.

I would also recommend The Deadly Affair, The Hill, Fail Safe and The Anderson Tapes.
Old 04-11-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

He was a great talent.

I'll never forget the first time I saw "Network" or "The Verdict." I also really loved "Dog Day Afternoon."
Old 04-11-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
really wish the BD was a bit cheaper right now...
I just bought "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" today at Amazon for $16.49 on Blu-ray, which is well over 50% off the retail price of $35.98.

What great film that was with a superb cast.
Old 04-11-11, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I just bought "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" today at Amazon for $16.49 on Blu-ray, which is well over 50% off the retail price of $35.98.

What great film that was with a superb cast.
.....that's not exactly cheap considering that new BDs at amazon don't hit MSRP. And considering the amount of features included..still too high.
Old 04-12-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

I started reading Lumet's book, Making Movies, on the subway this morning. It's very well-written. A must for all film students and aspiring filmmakers.
Old 04-12-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Network is one of my all-time favorites. Lumet's direction of Chayefsky's amazing script is just perfect.

Old 04-12-11, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I started reading Lumet's book, Making Movies, on the subway this morning. It's very well-written. A must for all film students and aspiring filmmakers.
I actually bought that on the day he died..was looking up at his works and saw that he made a book. I bought it...cuz I am also a film student. lol. Also...turns out Mamet has a book about directing...wonder how that one is?
Old 04-12-11, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I would like to recommend a Lumet film that is seldom talked about, The Offence. Sean Connery is blistering as a British detective whose years of witnessing violence and death on the job have taken their toll and causes him to lash out violently on a suspect. Ian Ballen as the suspect also gives a great performance.
I've watched that movie about 3 times.
Not that I like it, but I couldn't figure out the ending.
Did the Sean Connery character molest & kill boys?
Old 04-13-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I've watched that movie about 3 times.
Not that I like it, but I couldn't figure out the ending.
Did the Sean Connery character molest & kill boys?
Spoiler:
it was a girl, but no he didn't, those were only his thoughts. What it does reveal is that Connery, at least in his head, was just as messed up as the suspect.
Old 04-13-11, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Spoiler:
it was a girl, but no he didn't, those were only his thoughts. What it does reveal is that Connery, at least in his head, was just as messed up as the suspect.
Thank you! 40 years I've been waiting to find out.