Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ted (S MacFarlane) Wahlberg, Kunis. R rated talking bear movie voiced by MacFarlane

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ted (S MacFarlane) Wahlberg, Kunis. R rated talking bear movie voiced by MacFarlane

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Ted (S MacFarlane) Wahlberg, Kunis. R rated talking bear movie voiced by MacFarla

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Jesus H. Fuck...
Best part of the video
Old 06-22-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Re: Ted (S MacFarlane) Wahlberg, Kunis. R rated talking bear movie voiced by MacFarla

Originally Posted by PatD
He wipes the floor with them when it comes to comedic dialogue.
Oh, you mean "Remember that time when I did a pop culture thing?" That's the dialogue you're thinking of?

I think this movie looks hilarious but let's not get crazy with Seth MacFarlane love.
Old 06-22-12, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, i'd argue that Parker and Stone are the better w/ comedy. BUT...I do enjoy MacFarlane...but there's a gap in quality from SP to FG.
Old 06-22-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Oh, you mean "Remember that time when I did a pop culture thing?" That's the dialogue you're thinking of?
The "Cartoon Wars" thing is from South Park. It's become a popular meme in and of itself over the years. Yeah, they do cut-aways a lot (not as much recently). And so what? If a gag is funny and gives me a belly laugh--I'm not going to give it a demerit for not being organic to the plot.

But, I don't think you've ever seen (or paid attention to) the back and forth dialogue between Stewie and Brian or Peter and his bar buddies. It's top notch middle-brow humor. (And they don't have to interject every sentence with "dude"; "lame"; or "sweet").
Old 06-22-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

He wipes the floor with them when it comes to comedic dialogue.
Look I like FG just fine, but your comment is ridiculous and almost insulting.
Old 06-23-12, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dCAqTXJ6MI

--
Old 06-23-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

"Family Guy" as depicted on "South Park" is very lame and completely unfunny. But the real "Family Guy" show is funny, so Matt and Trey basically just created a straw man version of FG that they could lampoon it instead of the real show. (Although I like "South Park" a lot, I think their attempt to slam FG failed miserably.)
Old 06-23-12, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
"Family Guy" as depicted on "South Park" is very lame and completely unfunny. But the real "Family Guy" show is funny, so Matt and Trey basically just created a straw man version of FG that they could lampoon it instead of the real show. (Although I like "South Park" a lot, I think their attempt to slam FG failed miserably.)
This.
Old 06-23-12, 07:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Family guy is a shell of it's former self.

In fact, it's the worst of the Seth McFarlane shows on right now.
Old 06-23-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not if American Dad is still running. That show is terrible.
Old 06-23-12, 08:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

That's his best show.

Last edited by boogieman03; 06-25-12 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 904 Posts

But, I don't think you've ever seen (or paid attention to) the back and forth dialogue between Stewie and Brian or Peter and his bar buddies. It's top notch middle-brow humor. (And they don't have to interject every sentence with "dude"; "lame"; or "sweet").
Pretty sure you've brought this point up in the past. I don't see it as a problem in the slightest though considering they are elementary school kids and that's how some kids do talk. Also I agree that sometimes Family Guy's cut away scenes can be funny but it seems pretty rare that they actually add to the overall story.

I do like MacFarlane from time to time though (although mostly Family Guy) and I think Ted looks kind of funny. It looks like pretty standard fare from him only done in live action instead of animation. So I'll probably wind up seeing it once it's out.
Old 06-23-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhmac
Dis-a-fucking-gree. Then again, some of us have college degrees.

The Cartoon Wars episodes were some of the best South Park episodes within the past six years. Not only did they do a great job at satirizing MacFarlane and his brand of humor, but the episodes also spoke well to the political climate at the time. That's something Parker and Stone can do in spades unlike MacFarlane and his shows.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Trey Parker and Matt Stone have clarified their opinions on Family Guy on the DVD audio commentary, Parker stated "we totally understand that people love it, that's why we put it in the show, we understand that it speaks to some people and it can just be a simple laugh and that's great and we certainly don't think it should be taken off the air or anything like that, we just don't respect it in terms of writing", later referring to the writers behind the show as "smart" but emphatically criticizing their overuse of "gag-humor".
There's a reason why the guys got gift baskets and praise from The Simpsons and King of the Hill guys; they know how to actually tell a story. I thought Ted was hilarious, but the story is film's downfall as MacFarlane is not a good storyteller.
Old 06-24-12, 12:16 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gLt73xSJlAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to 2:10 for MacFarlane's rebuttal (as Stewie) to "Cartoon Wars".
Old 06-24-12, 11:38 PM

The Mark Wahlberg introduction to the restricted trailer was good. He's absolutely right about that damn Snuggle fabric softener bear.

http://youtu.be/rd4amqRupBA
Old 06-25-12, 01:00 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Dis-a-fucking-gree. Then again, some of us have college degrees.

The Cartoon Wars episodes were some of the best South Park episodes within the past six years. Not only did they do a great job at satirizing MacFarlane and his brand of humor, but the episodes also spoke well to the political climate at the time. That's something Parker and Stone can do in spades unlike MacFarlane and his shows.
And then Parker and Stone proceeded to make almost every South Park episode from that point on a soapbox for them to bitch about some stupid TV show or movie that they saw during the hiatus. FUNNY!
Old 06-25-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
American Dad is the best sitcom on Fox. Animated or otherwise.
Old 06-25-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
And then Parker and Stone proceeded to make almost every South Park episode from that point on a soapbox for them to bitch about some stupid TV show or movie that they saw during the hiatus. FUNNY!
Do you even watch South Park? The show has been that way since the Quintuplets 2000 episode (in 2000) that satirized the Elián González scandal less than three days after the incident. Once Parker and Stone have turned the production time from script to air to be less than a week, the show's production tends to aim for more topical issues... which is both a blessing and curse as they addressed in the 6 Days to Air documentary.

Originally Posted by RichC2
American Dad is the best sitcom on Fox. Animated or otherwise.
Community, Eastbound and Down (RIP), Parks and Recreation, amongst others, would tend to disagree. Even while not a sitcom, this past season of Psych was firing on all cylinders and had more laughs per episode than most sitcoms that aired this year had combined.
Old 06-25-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Archer!
Old 06-25-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Archer!
Shit, I completely spaced Archer.

LANA. LANA. LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANA!

Can't forget about Louie on FX either. Or It's Always Sunny.... Or The League.

What I'm trying to say is FX has better sitcoms than Fox.
Old 06-25-12, 08:34 PM

Do you even watch South Park? The show has been that way since the Quintuplets 2000 episode (in 2000) that satirized the Elián González scandal less than three days after the incident. Once Parker and Stone have turned the production time from script to air to be less than a week, the show's production tends to aim for more topical issues... which is both a blessing and curse as they addressed in the 6 Days to Air documentary.

Community, Eastbound and Down (RIP), Parks and Recreation, amongst others, would tend to disagree. Even while not a sitcom, this past season of Psych was firing on all cylinders and had more laughs per episode than most sitcoms that aired this year had combined.
Good thing those are all on Fox.
Old 06-25-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

None of those are "on Fox". And I agree it doesn't rate alongside Community or Psych, though I do enjoy it more than EB&D and P&R. (I'm easily amused. http://www.hulu.com/watch/360977 )

Plus they've stated there's still a chance for more EB&D, just not soon.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-25-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
None of those are "on Fox". And I agree it doesn't rate alongside Community or Psych, though I do enjoy it more than EB&D and P&R. (I'm easily amused. http://www.hulu.com/watch/360977 )

Plus they've stated there's still a chance for more EB&D, just not soon.
I misread your post and I thought you said all networks. However, it's just "animated and otherwise." My bad!

However, I don't watch Fox considering they've already cancelled the best sitcom(s) they've ever had.
Old 06-25-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Yep, I'm seeing it. Given all of the Family Guy I have watched, I owe it to myself. IMO, McFarlane's jokes fall flat more often than they hit, but when they do, they tend to go out of the park.
Old 06-26-12, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
The Mark Wahlberg introduction to the restricted trailer was good. He's absolutely right about that damn Snuggle fabric softener bear.

http://youtu.be/rd4amqRupBA
OT, but that Snuggle bear wasn't as creepy when I was a kid. That bear done changed, and not for the better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.