Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Insidious (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Insidious (2011)

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I know I wasn't the only one who had flashbacks of New Nightmare at the end scene involving the Demon and the kid...unless i'm the only one who remembers New Nightmare

Overall, decent movie. Had a few good scares, predictable but effective. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I didn't watch it in a theater full of stupid teens running their mouth.
Not only were they talking in mine. They were making out, moaning, playing music on their cell phones, singing the George of the Jungle theme song (I KNOW RIGHT?!), and oh yeah everytime they kissed it'd echo in the theater. And they snuck in because I was enjoying the movie until I heard stomp-stomp-stomp-stomp and sat two seats over from me, this was like 20minutes in. I knew they were going to be trouble. And this one girl kept saying "Please" over and over. and they were using cell phones. I didn't want the people who sitting further down from me that i was talking either. I kept flashing my cell phone and them. I turned the brightness all the way up and would flicker it on to them, but they never shut up. oh well. at least it was only $4 to see it. :P

but I didn't think the movie was scary one bit. i didnt jump (except for one time), but other than that it wasn't scary. I would like to go see it again this weekend after scre4m. i think the ring & grudge are scarier, even paranormal activity.
Old 04-13-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Wife and I caught this one today. We liked it. Some good creepy moments. I thought that the explanation was a nice twist on something that's been done before.
Old 04-13-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by thelonelyisland
Not only were they talking in mine. They were making out, moaning, playing music on their cell phones, singing the George of the Jungle theme song (I KNOW RIGHT?!), and oh yeah everytime they kissed it'd echo in the theater. And they snuck in because I was enjoying the movie until I heard stomp-stomp-stomp-stomp and sat two seats over from me, this was like 20minutes in. I knew they were going to be trouble. And this one girl kept saying "Please" over and over. and they were using cell phones. I didn't want the people who sitting further down from me that i was talking either. I kept flashing my cell phone and them. I turned the brightness all the way up and would flicker it on to them, but they never shut up. oh well. at least it was only $4 to see it. :P

but I didn't think the movie was scary one bit. i didnt jump (except for one time), but other than that it wasn't scary. I would like to go see it again this weekend after scre4m. i think the ring & grudge are scarier, even paranormal activity.
Wasn't scary one bit but you want to go back and watch it again in the theater a couple days later? Something wrong with this picture.
Old 04-14-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to see Insidious the other night and I'm pretty confident that Wan and Whannell neither know how to write and/or direct a feature-length film. While it wasn't as bad as Dead Silence or Death Sentence, two films I regret seeing theatrically, it wasn't nearly as good as their first outing (Saw). The film is watchable, but there's a point where I gave up all hope and stopped caring.

I don't know what Whannell's obsession is with him having to act in all of his films, but it needs to stop because he sucks at it. When Whannell and the fat guy show up as the aides to Lin Shaye's character, the film stops dead in its tracks. In that moment, Insidious goes from being a creepy ghost tale into a film that's bi-polar and can't decide if it wants to be a horror-comedy or a horror film that'll actually unnerve its audience. There's a thin line between injecting humor to ease the audience up before sending out another wave of scares, but Insidious clearly crosses that line whenever Whannell's character is on screen. Those moments of the film are glaring and ruin whatever traction the film had prior to those points.

For being a PG-13 horror flick, it's better than the rest; but that's not saying much when the rest have sucked.
Old 04-24-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was actually an effective spooky/scary movie, providing plenty of jumps and red herrings and done with enough directorial skill to heightened your own movie-watching paranoia, which is a sign the movie worked.

In a nutshell, a family of 5 move into a new house, and things go bump in the night, enough so that they end up moving, but the weird things keeping happening to them in the new house too. Rose Byrne and Patrick Wilson play the parents raising their 3 children in the film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-24-11, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol...a B-

I'm only laughing cuz of when Rocshemp asked ya about your grading...there are a lot of B- though....
Old 04-24-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Along with 2 more C+'s for this weekend. Quit reading so selectively if you're going to criticize my grading. Sheesh! Pretty much anything I give a B- or higher to is worthy of seeing at the theaters (matinees for the B-'s), while C+ and under should be for rental/streaming if you're remotely interested in the movie.
Old 04-26-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by The O
It's almost entirely jump scares, but I think Wan pulls off that nonsense with some creativity. Fun movie. It's "Poltergeist" meets "Paranormal Activity."
....meets "Drag Me To Hell". I loved it. Super creepy and effective. One scene that made zero sense and they should have left out was:

Spoiler:
When Josh said no to the psychic when she suggested an unorthodox approach to saving Dalton. Accusing her of just trying to make some money, and all of a sudden not believing his seeing ghosts. When in fact he recently witnessed Dalton's bedroom door closed with the handle moving. And banging coming from the other side. Then, once they broke in, the room completely destroyed. He saw all of that.
Old 06-24-11, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

watched this last night and it was a great little spook show. very creepy and easily one of the best pg-13 horror films of the past decade. the sound design was just tremendous. the only part i wasn't too crazy about was the ending but even that wasn't too much of a buzzkill. almost makes me want to revisit DEAD SILENCE to see if i was missing something. james wan impressed me with this one and i hope he continues on this path.
Old 07-14-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just caught this on BluRay. What a wacky movie.

Starts out as a pretty effective subtle/creepy haunting movie while remaining true to the standard understated conventions of that genre. Then it transforms into a goofy, over-the-top Hammer horror film in the second half.

I haven't decided if that's a good thing or not yet, because I'm still in "WTF did I just watch?" mode. It was definitely very different than what I was expecting based on previews and everything else I'd heard. But I can see myself watching it again for sure.
Old 07-14-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoyed it until the last half hour or so. Then it just turned to shit.

Spoiler:
So the dude finally gets into the house. Get's tired. Let's his son go off by himself and ends up getting possessed? STUPID! And the Darth Maul guy..went from being creepy to HAHA..look at that dumb looking demon.
Old 07-16-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with a lot that's been said in here.....this flick had so much potential to be outstanding too. When the dorks show up the film immediately goes downhill and never, ever recovers.

The first half of the film though is f'n fantastic.
Old 07-16-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Was never crazy about the title. I think "The Further" would have been better. Which they mention twice in the film. And insidious once. Just has a better sound IMO.
Old 07-16-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ending ruined the film for me. Liked it up until then.
Old 07-16-11, 05:37 PM

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. I think I would have been more surprised by a happy ending, rather than the one they went with. Agreed with what Buddy said in his spoiler. Excellent PQ and AQ on the blu ray though.
Old 07-19-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Lots of fun with a couple of moments that created very effective tension. I agree that the comedy relief almost derailed to movie, but I think it recovered adequately by the end as the focus shifted away from the two dorks.

Somehow, I also liked that the movie is in reality just a 'cover version' of Poltergeist, as opposed to a remake. I thought they did a nice job of expanding on certain things and changing the ending.

Plus, props for using the same kitchen counter tile/design (plus gratuitous raw steak) as Poltergeist as a way to acknowledge their source.
Old 07-21-11, 03:09 PM
Cool New Member

I think this is one of the better horror movies in recent years. Doesn't rely on anything but old school, over-the-top scares and a simplistic, fluid story.

Kudos to the the makers of this film!
Old 07-22-11, 02:09 AM
Cool New Member

One of the most scariest movies I've seen in recent years.
Old 08-28-11, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Ending ruined the film for me. Liked it up until then.
i hated that shit ending. That should have happened about midway through the movie.
Old 09-03-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Just watched this on Blu-ray today and it's easily one of the creepiest movies I've seen in a long, long time. It borrows extensively from horror movies of the last 30 years or so, but incredibly effectively. Our power got knocked out for four hours and just came back on, so we were maneuvering by candlelight for a couple hours after dark. Even though his scenes were set in the daytime, the not-a-little-boy in blue standing facing the wall in the laundry room and then dancing in the living room kept coming back to me when moving around our house with nothing but flickering candle. Just a fun movie, that comes up with a good premise for showing tons of creepy imagery and then goes nuts with it.
Old 09-07-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
watched this last night and it was a great little spook show. very creepy and easily one of the best pg-13 horror films of the past decade. the sound design was just tremendous. the only part i wasn't too crazy about was the ending but even that wasn't too much of a buzzkill. almost makes me want to revisit DEAD SILENCE to see if i was missing something. james wan impressed me with this one and i hope he continues on this path.
Rather than type a lot I'll just say this sums it up best for me. Went in last night expecting a "pretty good" (so my friends had told me) horror film and wound up getting something creepy and effective, with a cool story and some solid character writing. I didn't see Dead Silence, but watching this one made me want to check it out. I was definitely surprised by how much I liked it.
Old 09-09-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched it with my 11 year old tonight. Kinda worried me since it was one of the first films i didn't watch first to make sure it would be ok for her. We both really liked it, and were both very freaked out during the whole thing.
Watching horror films together is something we both love doing so finding a gem like this that was scary but still suitable for her is something that is hard to find in new films.
Definitly a future blu-ray purchase once the price drops a little.
Old 10-25-11, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Watched this last night and I was mostly... bored... So I'm just going to borrow this:

Some decent bits at the start but soon becomes Poltergeist and then Star Wars when that bloke with the red face who was a Sith turns up with for some unknown reason Tiny Tim. The ending descended into farce when after getting in the Excorcist for one scene they sent for the Ghostbusters who called in the landlady from Kingpin and all Hell broke loose for the last 20 minutes as the cast re-enacted scenes from Poltergeist but could not afford a rope and instead just made do. Then the guys who were in Michael Jackson's Thriller made an appearance and we got a shock ending that was obvious and silly. The most frightening part of Insidious is that we will likely see a part 2. I am not sure whether it was meant to be a horror film or a comedy and can't really be bothered to care.
Old 10-27-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Watched this last night and I was mostly... bored...
I just watched this, and I agree. I found this to be pretty weak. I can see it being seen as a good family horror movie -- in that regard it's better than most -- but as a horror fan it didn't deliver much in the way of scares, tension, or creep factor for me.
Old 01-23-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought it was really good. As others have said, it's a detailed version of Poltergeist. Lots of good scares, not just BOO scares but some moments that actually made my blood run cold. I love the premise of astral projection bringing the disembodied spooks like a bunch of stray cats.
The movie does tend to lose a little at the end, especially the Darth Maul dude. He was awesome at first, but then turned into a bit of a joke. First, doing his nails. Then sneaking up behind Josh and breathing all funny on his neck. And to top it off, hiding under the bead and crawling on the walls like a lame ass bitch and STILL not winning the race.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.