Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

He'll be Back! Arnold Schwarzenegger to return to acting.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

He'll be Back! Arnold Schwarzenegger to return to acting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: He'll be Back! Arnold Schwarzenegger to return to acting.

No, he's still not attacking Terminator 3. Again, with the first quote, he's just talking about the mythology; the question being asked is "Would you make another Terminator film?", so when he says what he says, he's coming from the perspective of picking up this story he started after other people have continued it. In the latter, he's just saying he didn't want the sequels to do better financially than his own entries. Doesn't mean he didn't like them. The bits of article around his quote are taking quite a bit of license with the actual statement Cameron is making.

Here's his original quotes about T3, which reflect the same ideas (he would've done it differently, he would've supported it thanks to his relationship with Arnold) in addition to saying he liked it:

"In one word: great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hoped it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathan's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it."

[on whether he would've done it differently] "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way -- but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it."

[on Alien³] "Hated it. Simple as that. I hated what they did.... I couldn't stand Alien³ - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in Aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter...it stunk."

Even if one film was in theaters and the other wasn't, people worried about being "nice" in a political sense don't do so in one breath and then completely dismiss someone else's work with the next, and he both insists he enjoyed it and explains why rather than giving a sort of noncomittal, generalized answer. Also, for the record, Cameron did not take the time to say anything nice about Salvation, despite McG trying to get him to comment.
Old 04-28-11, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
The truck scene was better than anything in "Salvation"
I wanted to like it but it felt too cartoonish to me. Yeah, that's a great stunt they did. But it doesn't look or feel right.

I'm not saying Cameron's perfect, he's not. But he's damn good at making action flicks. Also the stories were pretty solid.

T3 was too aware of itself in the humor and story. Plot holes that stood out. The T-X wasn't compelling or threatening. Nothing it did was surprising, except the breast augmentation...which is kind of funny even at that it's just cheap humor of gag that gets stupider each time. The action felt too off. A lot of wire work that couldn't get hidden. The cg effects also are surprisingly not top notch, they just don't look or give you an emotional reaction...just a regular day in watching cg. . The guy playing Conner was eh. All the acting actually just felt..mediocre...I didn't feel invested in any of the characters to care about them.
Old 04-28-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rather watch T3 over TS any day of the week. T3 had its share of goofy moments, but the writing wasn't nearly as terrible as TS. Everything about that film's script was so piss poor it's unreal. The gaping holes of logic - both by characters and in the franchise mythology - the constant terrible decisions, the absurd ending. It's a gorgeous film with some great cinematography and a few decent action sequences, but it's not as good as T3. At all.
Old 04-28-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,084 Posts

I thought The Expendables was a total wasted opportunity. However, I think Expendables 2 would be the perfect opportunity for Arnold to come back to action without looking like a geezer trying to be young.

As much as I love the Terminator franchise (I enjoyed T3 a lot more than Salvation), I don't see a 65 year old man playing a terminator machine again. Hell, he barely pulled it off in T3 and that was 8 years ago (more like 10 by the time a new film is in production).

The only way I'd think a new Terminator movie would work with Arnold is if he played a human role in the future that the T-800 was modeled after.
Old 04-28-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The only way I'd think a new Terminator movie would work with Arnold is if he played a human role in the future that the T-800 was modeled after.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Some old, grizzled war vet who the machines model their terminators after.
Old 04-28-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'd rather watch T3 over TS any day of the week. T3 had its share of goofy moments, but the writing wasn't nearly as terrible as TS. Everything about that film's script was so piss poor it's unreal. The gaping holes of logic - both by characters and in the franchise mythology - the constant terrible decisions, the absurd ending. It's a gorgeous film with some great cinematography and a few decent action sequences, but it's not as good as T3. At all.
At the very least they could have made up a better story than a robot goes back in time to change the future. 3 terminator movies and they were all the same
Old 04-28-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
At the very least they could have made up a better story than a robot goes back in time to change the future. 3 terminator movies and they were all the same
Agreed, but at least T3 ended with Judgement Day happening. I'll readily acknowledge it was a complete rehash of T2 without Sarah Connor, but it was still scripted better than TS by far.