Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bridesmaids (2011, D: Feig, EP: Apatow) S: Wiig

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bridesmaids (2011, D: Feig, EP: Apatow) S: Wiig

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bridesmaids (2011, Kristen Wiig/Judd Apatow)

Originally Posted by JimRochester
With people that ignorant it wouldn't much good but I would have said something. Our local theater won't let little ones like that in to adult themed movies.
She was relatively quiet so I was able to tune it out, but if she had started squealing I would have said something.

Every time I go to a theater nowadays, I swear it's going to be the last time. It's always horrible now.
Old 06-14-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just learned that the role of Lillian's (Maya Rudolph) mom is played by Lynne Marie Stewart, who played Miss Yvonne on "Pee Wee's Playhouse." She has no lines here, is never introduced, and is only seen standing next to Franklin Ajaye (playing Lillian's dad) in two scenes. She's an old lady now--64 years old. I saw her last December in "Pee Wee's Playhouse" on Broadway and she was still playing Miss Yvonne, even though she's clearly a bit long in the tooth to be billed as the "most beautiful woman in Puppet Land."
Old 06-14-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I just learned that the role of Lillian's (Maya Rudolph) mom is played by Lynne Marie Stewart, who played Miss Yvonne on "Pee Wee's Playhouse."
Based upon past Apatow efforts and DVD/BD releases, expect over an hour of deleted footage/outtakes with Miss Yvvone making an appearance.
Old 06-26-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Just saw this for a second time, and it was still hilarious.

Melissa McCarthy (Megan), who stole the movie, is married in real life to the guy who played the air marshall in the film.

There's an extra scene of the two of them during the end credits.

This is almost at $150 million and I hope the video release has an extended cut like some other Apatow-produced films have had.

I didn't find the 2 hour, 5 minute running time long at all for this movie.
Old 07-09-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw this today and loved it. Aside from X-Men, this has been a shitty Summer for movies. I'm glad this didn't disappoint. The film flew by for me and there are plenty of great moments. My favorite scene has to be the tennis sequence.
Spoiler:
The slow-mo part where Wiig gets hit in the chest by the ball was hilarious.
Jon Hamm was funny in his limited role as well.
Old 09-26-11, 02:11 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I finally caught up with this over the weekend. While I did laugh many times I would sum this film up as being amateurish and forgettable. It's way too long. I thought for sure I must be watching an extended cut because there was so much filler that could have been cut, I was shocked to discover I had just seen the theatrical cut.

It certainly didn't live up to the hype. I think the marketing for the film built it up to be something it is not, leaving many people disapointed. It was sold as 2 things:

1. A film with funny women that men will love too because it's not a "chick flick"
2. A female version of the Hangover

The film is neither of these. It very much contains many clichés of the chick flick genre with two best friends and the new best friend that drives them apart, a big musical cameo at the end, etc. And I was expecting a "wild night out" kind of thing and it certainly did not deliver.

I'm mortified to see that this cost $30 million. What do they spend the money on these days? The cast was all from TV, the script was clever enough to keep them from having to show anything expensive (like actually arriving in Las Vegas), and the camera work was slap-dash and sloppy.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-27-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ $30 million is super cheap these days.
Old 09-27-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I'm mortified to see that this cost $30 million. What do they spend the money on these days? The cast was all from TV, the script was clever enough to keep them from having to show anything expensive (like actually arriving in Las Vegas), and the camera work was slap-dash and sloppy.
They may have been TV actresses, but there were quite a few of them. Mostly though I think it went to padding Apatow's bank account.
Old 09-27-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gf and I caught this in HD on demand over the weekend. We opted for the theatrical cut since I remembered most extended Apatow-related films were cut down for a reason.

This one needed another 25 min cut off. Easily.

At times there were many funny moments (the bridal fitting), but more often than not it felt cliched and painfully unfunny. The mic gag between Wiig and Byrne got old really fast... and then it just kept going and going and going...

Hamm was great, even though his role was minor.

It def didn't match the hype everyone's been pumping up. I was amused but I can't say I'd ever voluntarily watch it again. At least it doesn't top Walk Hard for the worst fucking movie I've ever seen with Apatow's name on it.
Old 09-27-11, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to differ from the last 3 reviews as I absolutely loved Bridesmaids. Kristen Wiig was comic gold in this movie. The airplane scene was just priceless, as well as the bridal shower scene with the cookie. My wife and I laughed the whole way through. This movie also has a heart because they did a good job building the relationship between Wiig and the cop.

And as far as the marketing "hurting" the movie...well it hurt it all the way to the bank being that it made $170M on a $30M budget, making it the most successful Apatow production to date.
Old 09-27-11, 12:12 PM
Banned

I don't mean to be 100% critical of the movie, I did laugh a lot at many things, but it has serious flaws, which surprised me because many people said it's the funniest film of the year.
Originally Posted by leem6453

And as far as the marketing "hurting" the movie...well it hurt it all the way to the bank being that it made $170M on a $30M budget, making it the most successful Apatow production to date.
I re-read my review this morning and edited it before I even read your post. I think this expresses my feelings better
I think the marketing for the film built it up to be something it is not, leaving many people disapointed.
Old 09-27-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kristen Wiig and Phillip Seymor Hoffman are putting Rochester on the map. Prior to Jackie Brown, Robert Forster was not too well known. The other big name from around here is Lauren Holly, so I always like to see locals make it big
Old 09-27-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a good movie. I didn't really think it ran too long.

Wiig was great, and I liked looking at her body in underwear.
Old 09-27-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

"Megan" needs a to be in another movie.
Old 09-27-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The production budget for Sex and the City 2 was $100 million.
Old 09-27-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
That sure is a lot of horse feed.
Old 09-28-11, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
While that figure is still outrageous I can believe it. You've got 4 actresses that command top dollar because without any one of them you've got no movie. And the film was shot on actual locations including New York City which is a very expensive place to shoot. Any one of the Bridesmaids could have been replaced with another actress and the film was shot at Griffith Park, in peoples back yards, and in an existing pre-built airplane set. It's actually a very good movie for a screenwriter to watch to show how a film can appear to be sprawling while in fact it has very limited locations.
Old 09-29-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Let me start by saying that Brides Maids was one of the most enjoyable movie experiences I've had in some time.

I laughed my ass off and loved all 2 hours and 5 minutes. I can understand some of the negative reviews.

But I judge comedies on whether they are funny to me or not. This movie was hilarious.

I could care less about plot points, cliches etc. when something makes me laugh and brings me joy.

Old 09-29-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kristen Wiig and Phillip Seymor Hoffman are putting Rochester on the map. Prior to Jackie Brown, Robert Forster was not too well known. The other big name from around here is Lauren Holly, so I always like to see locals make it big
I think Robert Forster was well-known in the late 1960s/early 1970s but definitely had a career resurgence with Jackie Brown.
Old 09-29-11, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I think Robert Forster was well-known in the late 1960s/early 1970s but definitely had a career resurgence with Jackie Brown.
this.
Old 09-29-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Because he was a local guy his name would be bandied about on local TV but you never knew how well he was known in other areas
Old 09-29-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Because he was a local guy his name would be bandied about on local TV but you never knew how well he was known in other areas
This
Old 10-01-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked the movie a lot, was funny when it needed to be and enjoyable when it wasn't being funny. The issue I had that prevented me from calling it a great comedy was simply how bad I felt for Wiig's character, constantly.

Sure, it was all trivial stuff, but it almost felt like a comedic book of job. Haven't seen a character get shit on like that since zack and miri.
Old 10-09-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

So I had to see what all the hype was about and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not familiar with Kristen Wiig because I don't watch SNL anymore (haven't since the 90's really), but I liked her. She's cute and funny (although I admit I was doing more chuckling and smiling than all out laughing) and I think she has a good career ahead of her as far as feature films go.
Apatow comedies have become really formulaic though, haven't they? I guess on one side you have the argument of "don't fix what's not broken" (his films are among the best comedies released every year) but at the same time it's becoming a bit bland and predictable. I digress, it was an enjoyable film and I'm glad I sat down and watched it.

I may pick up the blu if I see it under $10 one day.
Old 11-24-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Had to turn this one off after an hour. Kept waiting for it to be funny. Then I realized I was half way in.

Maybe if I was a Wiig fan it would have done something for me.

Oh and who keeps casting Maya Rudolph? Her fugliness is at best a distraction.

So I glad I did not blind buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.