Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 03:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

Originally Posted by slop101
You know what's been MUCH more impressive than 3D to me? Extra image resolution - think the IMAX sequences in Dark Knight. That vividness pulled me into the film much more than any 3D sequence ever could. That, along with greater frames-per-second, is what can better enhance a theatrical experience, far more than 3D ever can by itself.
Cameron wanted to go 60fps but Fox said no. It'd be a bitch and a half for sure to work on it like that. Animators alone would commit mass suicides.

We did some 60fps stuff here at school...it's just too much. 24 is safe but 60 is obviously better.
Old 01-28-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

PS 3D haters -- it's not going anywhere anytime soon either. With Lucas announcing the SW trilogy being converted to 3D (right, wrong or indifferent), it'll be present until probably 2017 and beyond.
Old 01-28-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Cameron wanted to go 60fps but Fox said no. It'd be a bitch and a half for sure to work on it like that. Animators alone would commit mass suicides.

We did some 60fps stuff here at school...it's just too much. 24 is safe but 60 is obviously better.
Supposedly he's gonna do 48fps in the sequel.
Old 01-28-11, 06:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
This sentence is at complete odds with reality, almost comically so. Only one word is needed to refute it (along with pretty much the entire article). Avatar. I mean, yeah that movies 3D presentation alienated the HELL out of the world.

The fact of the matter is pretty much every single movie that has used 3D in 2010 has been either terrible rush conversions or lousy 3D due to lousy directors (Kosinski in Tron Legacy).

And the movies that DID do proper 3D? Jackass and Resident Evil? They not only performed well, but outperformed their predecessors.

Trying to pass off the tech already due to 2010 is ignorant at best. Just another silly crusade from Roger Ebert, much like is "games aren't art" rants. Rubbish used to troll for more hits.

Murch may have a hell of a resume and is more than well respected, but his opinion isn't the nail in the coffin. Not only is James Cameron an accredited editor, but he also, to put it lightly, knows a thing or two about picking up a camera, and he sure as hell doesn't have a problem shooting and editing in 3D, and Camerons results were a resounding success in every single way imaginable. So no. Sorry Ebert. Case NOT closed. Far from it.
What about the possiblility that Avatar was a one-off success that will never be replicated? Nothing has come close since. Meanwhile the technology and reputation of 3D have been debased by films aimed to cash in on the fad.

At this point I don't think 3D can be saved from itself. Poor films, cheap conversions, and poor quality screenings might turn audience opinion against it.

Where I definately 100% agree with Murch is that it is alienating. The IMAX 3D experience (the only recent 3D exhibition format I've personally experienced, starting with Polar Express) is very immersive, it makes you feel like the film is playing right there in your lap, just for you. This is an incredible sensation and it helps certain films. It immerses, but it also alienates. It alienates you from the rest of the audience. The cinema has always been a communal experience, but 3D takes a lot of that away. 3D will never work for comedies. It doesn't work well for horror films. It robs film of its communal nature.

Audiences might actually embrace this issolation as we all increasingly insulate ourselves with laptops, iphones, etc, but even if they do embrace it and 3D wins the day, it will not be a "win" for quality or art.

In the end there's one thing audiences crave: Novelty. "Show me something I've never seen before" is what the viewer asks for. Avatar did exactly that. Does that mean that from now on every film should be a 3D CGI fantasy? Of course not because that's not novel. Avatar already gave them that. H'wood goes wrong when they see Avatar's success and say, "This means people want 3D. This means they want everything in 3D!" They just aren't getting it. Avatar's success is rooted in novelty, people wanted a unique experience and Cameron gave it to them. Hollywood's five year plan is to keep giving them the same thing as many times as possible.

Some day 3D will be old hat and audiences will ake off their glasses look around and say "Show me something I've never seen before"

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-28-11 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about waiting until what directors like Spielberg, Lucas, Scorcese, Jackson, Scott, Del Toro, et all (hell, even Bay) do with their own films before writing off Avatar as a one off success?

I mean, I think that is more than sensible rather than writing it off due to poor conversions and in general poorly directed films made by poor directors.

But I agree that someone needs to put a stop to 3d-izing any movie with a large budget. I mean Marvel, in addition to making crummy looking upcoming films have decided to convert those films as well. An unsurprisingly stupid decision from the studio. At least WB learned their lesson and called off the conversion for Sucker Punch (though the Green Lantern might still be converted afaik)

And there's no arguing 3D would benefit from improved frame rate, but that is another issue entirely.

as an aside, Im not sure how alienating oneself from the rest of an audience in order to be immersed into the film can be considered bad. Audiences are by far the worst part of modern cinema viewings. Anything that helps to focus their attention on the screen rather than each other is a move in the right direction as far as I am concerned. This has nothing whatsoever to do with "quality" or "art"

Last edited by Labor; 01-28-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 06:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What about the possiblility that Avatar was a one-off success that will never be replicated? Nothing has come close since.
I think Titanic was a one-off success for 2D.
Old 01-28-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avatar would've been a blockbuster even without 3D.
Old 01-28-11, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Avatar would've been a blockbuster even without 3D.
It probably would have been different in several ways, but still successful for sure.

The final edit pretty obviously puts the 3D immersion experience to the forefront...then again, not like Cameron had a choice as he had to cut out 50+ minutes of movie just to get it to fit in the IMAX format.
Old 01-28-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Even if the same number of people went to see Avatar, it would've made about 20% less money due to the inflated cost of 3D movie tickets.
Old 01-28-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a fan of 3D movies. I've only seen 2 so far, Avatar and Piranha. The former of course made great use of the tech. The latter's was shoddy for the most part, but still used it effectively when it needed to and made the film more enjoyable.
Old 01-29-11, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Even if the same number of people went to see Avatar, it would've made about 20% less money due to the inflated cost of 3D movie tickets.
Excellent point.
Old 01-29-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

20% less $2.8 billion is still a lot of money.
Old 01-29-11, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Another excellent point
Old 01-29-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Exactly. That's why I stated it would still be a hit.

As for 3D, well I'm kinda anxious to hear what Spielberg is doing. Despite Cameron's big movies, Spielberg is still the blockbuster king of the world.
Old 01-31-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Spielberg is doing Tintin with Cameron's technology, and Jackson is on deck for the next in the series. I hope it will be awesome, the Empire article indicated as much. Before his death, Herge said that Spielberg is the only one who could do a Tintin film justice, and here we are almost 30 years later. Then again I am a huge Tintin fan. Wait I was supposed to talk about 3D?!

Last edited by bluetoast; 01-31-11 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Labor
What about waiting until what directors like Spielberg, Lucas, Scorcese, Jackson, Scott, Del Toro, et all (hell, even Bay) do with their own films before writing off Avatar as a one off success?
After Titanic was a hit Scorsese and Bay each made epic period romances set amidst a historic conflict and both were awful. Just because big names jump on the band wagon doesn't mean it's a wagon worth taking a ride on.

Like I said before, if 3D were just one of many tools in an artist's bag, and he could choose to use 3D when the subject or moment really warranted it, that would be great. But right now it's a commercial cash grab.
Old 01-31-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Like I said before, if 3D were just one of many tools in an artist's bag, and he could choose to use 3D when the subject or moment really warranted it, that would be great. But right now it's a commercial cash grab.
It will always be a "cash grab". Theaters spend millions adding 3D capabilities to their theaters. Moviemakers aren't going to just pull out 3D when needed (which I think is never but whatever). There will be a constant influx of 3D until either the theaters or Hollywood call uncle.

The problem with 3D, when people compare it to color and sound, is that it's not universal enough. I'm sure Hollywood and the movie theaters dealt with a similar issue back in the day, but I think at this point we can all agree that color and sound applies to any mainstream movie. (And yes I know some movies are in black and white even today, but most are not). So everything from a romantic comedy to a big-budget action flick can play in the same movie theater.

Now we have this niche technology that only seems to apply to a few specific genres of movies, costs more to shoot, show and watch (so everyone feels the pinch) and may ultimately fall out of favor with everyone involved.

It's a huge mess and I think it all will eventually cause some serious problems in an industry that is already struggling.
Old 01-31-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3D in movies is as essential as scratch 'n sniff pages in the works of Dostoevsky.
Old 01-31-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
3D in movies is as essential as scratch 'n sniff pages in the works of Dostoevsky.
Ahh, I love the smell of Raskolnikov in the morning. It smells like victimry.
Old 01-31-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

After Titanic was a hit Scorsese and Bay each made epic period romances set amidst a historic conflict and both were awful.
I had to look Bay up on IMDB to see which of his films fit this description. This is the first time I've heard PEARL HARBOR referred to as an "epic period romance." But in the context of TITANIC and the Scorsese one, which I'm assuming is GANGS OF NEW YORK and not THE AVIATOR, both of which starred TITANIC's star, I can see that. I tended to like PEARL HARBOR, but chiefly because I was amused by the sheer audacity Bay showed in making a WWII propaganda film 60 years after the fact.
Old 01-31-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3-D is and has always been a gimmick for people who fall prey to gimmicks. It's for people who like shiny things, plain and simple. It does nothing for me in any way. I hope it's relegated back to the 'rare use category'. It's moronic and if anything hurts the art of cinema, and dumbs down film goers.
Old 01-31-11, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
This is the first time I've heard PEARL HARBOR referred to as an "epic period romance."
I was recently reminded of Ebert's review of the film
Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality
I fail to see how it could be described as anything BUT a period romance. Clearly Bay thought he was making his Titanic. The romance was shoehorned into a story that didn't need it in a bid to grab Titanic-like success. Remember, the romance in Titanic was a big factor in its success, with teenage girls seeing it 2-3 times and the like.
Old 01-31-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Interesting article.

4 reasons 3-D movies don't have to suck
Old 02-01-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree more with that article than the original one in the thread.
Old 02-01-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Blah, Blah shoot it in real 3D, blah blah ... saw Avatar and the 3D wasn't that great.

Now don't get me wrong I'm all for a better depth of field and I think 3D or (4D?) has great potential to explore those areas but I'll never buy into it if I have to pay extra money and wear glasses.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.