Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

Old 01-24-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

I really don't have that much of a problem with 3D but I don't like it enough to pay the extra charge they add on. I've actually chosen to wait to see some films that were 3D only at my theater (small theater that doesn't normally offer the regular version when there's a 3D version) to avoid the cost and buy the Blu-ray later. Plus the other thing I've mentioned before is it seems like almost every movie I've seen in 3D has given me a headache after watching it.
Old 01-24-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
I remember there being more than that. Tree branches, Giovani's golf ball, explosions, etc. all coming out of the frame. I admit I could be wrong... but I still found it to be irritating.

Exactly. As much as I want that type of 3D experience, it's not going to come from the big studios anytime soon; at least until a well-known director manages to get them to sign off on it by accident.
I saw it in theaters twice but honestly the only stuff popping out of the screen that I can remember were that water droplet and the ash near the end. I actually remember the numerous comments leaving the theater complaining that there was no 3D in it (some people just don't get the concept of adding depth.)
Old 01-24-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Next on the chopping block -- color; then sound.
I don't know about you, but my real vision looks nothing like any 3D movie I've ever seen, including Avatar. As gimmicks go, it's right up there with Smell-o-Vision. Which I'm honestly surprised hasn't come back too.

My problem with 3D is that it represents nothing more than greed from an industry I already have a hard time defending. For example, I just pre-ordered Red on Blu-Ray for $12.99 from Amazon with free shipping. This is almost the same price as me seeing it by myself in the theater..not including my wife and the cost of a babysitter. I have a 4' x 8' projection screen in my basement and surround sound. Even if it sucks, it's far cheaper than going to the theater.

At this point, the industry needs to be LOWERING prices, not raising them. They need to move away from the blockbuster opening weekends, update the ridiculous money-sharing deals they have with theaters (where the theater doesn't get much money for opening weekends...only when a movie sticks around...which rarely happens. This is why concessions are so expensive too), and generally focus on putting out fewer pictures with fewer actors on lower budgets...but putting money that would have been spent on garbage like 3D into other aspects of production (like writing). There is no excuse for AWFUL movies making it to the screen...there are too many people involved and someone should be able to recognize early in the process that things are going in the toilet.

Bottom line, the industry is a mess right now...and 3D is a temporary fix that is only costing everyone money that should be better spent on other options. I don't have a problem with it from a consumers perspective - if you love "diorama-vision," great. But it's not the right direction for the industry, IMHO.
Old 01-24-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Red for $12.99 on Blu? Score!
Old 01-24-11, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same way man. i have no interest in 3D, i saw Resident Evil 5 on 3D, and i didn't notice anything exciting..
Old 01-24-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Doesn't hurt me. I see the movies I want to see in 3D, and the ones I don't, I see in 2D. What's the big f-ing deal?
Just because you hate 3D, doesn't mean you have to be all activist on it. Shut up and stay at home.

When romantic comedies and Ken Burns-style documentaries come out in 3D, I would say it's overdone. Sci-fi and action flicks... sure, why not?
Old 01-24-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmconhea View Post
Doesn't hurt me. I see the movies I want to see in 3D, and the ones I don't, I see in 2D. What's the big f-ing deal?
Just because you hate 3D, doesn't mean you have to be all activist on it. Shut up and stay at home.

When romantic comedies and Ken Burns-style documentaries come out in 3D, I would say it's overdone. Sci-fi and action flicks... sure, why not?
So just because some people draw the line before you do, they should shut up? Maybe others really want their romantic comedies in 3D too.
Old 01-24-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmconhea View Post

+1

Replying to Draven: I think the point is that some people make such a big deal out of 3D when in fact they don't HAVE to see it in 3D. If Thor is indeed released ONLY in 3D, then bitch. Otherwise it's like me complaining about the cost of tea in China. It just doesn't impact me.
Old 01-24-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind going to the theater to see 3D as a novelty, but I don't see myself importing it into my home any time soon.
Old 01-24-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
+1

Replying to Draven: I think the point is that some people make such a big deal out of 3D when in fact they don't HAVE to see it in 3D. If Thor is indeed released ONLY in 3D, then bitch. Otherwise it's like me complaining about the cost of tea in China. It just doesn't impact me.
I had to drive 20 extra miles (uphill both ways!) to see Tron Legacy because my town's 12-screen theater wasn't showing a 2D presentation. Do I get to bitch about that?
Old 01-24-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So just because some people draw the line before you do, they should shut up? Maybe others really want their romantic comedies in 3D too.
You missed the point. Stop bitching about 3D and just don't watch movies in 3D. Simple as that. Your bitching and whining accomplishes nothing. Your not buying a ticket, renting, or purchasing a 3D movie sends a clear message to the studios that their product isn't worth your money. You're whining on the other hand falls on deaf ears as they keep in raking in the cash.
Old 01-24-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would respect 3-D a lot more if it was reserved only for subjects that deserved that kind of treatment. This post-conversion craze tends to cheapen the whole process. I would have loved for FINDING NEMO to have been in 3-D. But I can't think of anything else I've seen in the last few years that would have benefited from it. Although I could dig a KILL BILL sequel in 3-D.
Old 01-24-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I had to drive 20 extra miles (uphill both ways!) to see Tron Legacy because my town's 12-screen theater wasn't showing a 2D presentation. Do I get to bitch about that?
Nope. I've been to Owasso - I'm honestly shocked they had the 3D only
Old 01-24-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know about you, but my real vision looks nothing like any 3D movie I've ever seen, including Avatar.
You realize that you see in 3D, right? (Unless you're missing an eye or something.)
Old 01-24-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You realize that you see in 3D, right? (Unless you're missing an eye or something.)
I see in 3D. 3D movies present 2D images on a 3D plane (like a diorama). No one actually sees like that.
Old 01-24-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only movie that seemed to be JUST 3D was Alpha & Omega (wolf cartoon). My friend wanted to see it and all the showings in my area were in 3D. We ended up seeing Inception instead.
Old 01-24-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see in 3D. 3D movies present 2D images on a 3D plane (like a diorama). No one actually sees like that.
Then how do you see a diorama?
Old 01-24-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I find the best 3D is on 3d Tvs you can buy for your home. The depth there and color and vibrancy tends to be much better then what I have seen in Theaters.
Old 01-24-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then how do you see a diorama?
I'm saying that it looks like exactly what it is - flat images spaced out. That's what Avatar looked like to me. Only saw it in the theater but I distinctly remember a moving shot over a group of soldiers in a briefing that looked like lines of paper cut-outs spaced out. The current level of 3D technology isn't able to replicate the subtle depth of an actual physical object we perceive. The cameras that shoot those objects can't see "around" the subject, so it'll never be real 3D.

It's like how a CGI creature may look great, but still doesn't always look exactly real, and it's hard to put your finger on why. It just looks...off. And like a gimmicky, not-real thing they are throwing in.

I thought the 3D in Tron: Legacy was pretty well done, but that's because it made the whole thing look like a 3D computer game.

Last edited by Draven; 01-24-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I've never seen a movie in 3D and have no plans to do so. I enjoyed Murch's letter but I clearly have no context in which to put it.
He's not restating anything new when he talks about the problems some people have processing 3D images. My local news did a story on this tonight. Some people just can't enjoy 3D content.

My brain handles 3D just fine, and I never get headaches or any other bodily problems from it. For some reason though I can't handle FPS video games for long periods of times without feeling like I'm about to fall over and die. I'd love to know why I can take one but not the other.

The biggest problem with 3D is the shit being chosen for 3D, or even worse, converted from 2D. Then again, most of the Hollywood 2D films are fairly bad these days anyway.
Old 01-24-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Somebody (Felini I think) said: "The Cinema, she is a whore. When she gives it away, she will be free."

3D is the same way. When it is at the artist's disposal, in his bag, just one of many tools he may choose from to tell his story, it is great. When it is simply done to meet some percieved market demand or to cash in on a craze it is a defenseless crime.

Everyone should always remember when discussing "When will 3D die?" that 3D already died, in 1954. Everything that we are saying was said before.

Unfortunately every time that 3D rears it's beautiful/ugly head it gets so debased that when the fad is over it goes away completely (this happened in the early '80s as well). 3D always soars gloriously and crashes horrificly. If it would just peter out for once then maybe it could be one of those things that gets put in the ARTIST's bag that can, on occasion, be taken out, dusted off, and used to perfection, like 70mm.
Old 01-24-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The best hope for that is the development of 3D displays that don't require glasses. That way 3D could even be used sporadically in films (to highlight a sequence or a certain moment). Sort of how IMAX was used in TDK or how 3D was used in the final sequence of Freddy's Dead.
Old 01-24-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm saying that it looks like exactly what it is - flat images spaced out. That's what Avatar looked like to me. Only saw it in the theater but I distinctly remember a moving shot over a group of soldiers in a briefing that looked like lines of paper cut-outs spaced out. The current level of 3D technology isn't able to replicate the subtle depth of an actual physical object we perceive. The cameras that shoot those objects can't see "around" the subject, so it'll never be real 3D.
I agree and I perceive it the same way (as many others as well I'm sure).

This 3D technology is really "View Master" (years old) but with live movement now. I know I keep saying that but it's true.

The next technology should be real 3D...holograms!
Old 01-24-11, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Why are people replying to this thread? Can't you read: CASE CLOSED.

"That's that!"
Old 01-24-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
This 3D technology is really "View Master" (years old) but with live movement now. I know I keep saying that but it's true.
Speaking of, whatever happened to the proposed View Master: The Movie? That was a project we could all love to hate. Or love if it's pure nostalgia.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.