Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix vs. Inception?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Matrix vs. Inception
The Matrix is the more existential film
33.33%
Inception is the more existential film
16.67%
The Matrix is more entertaining as a film that deals with an alternate reality
63.89%
Inception is more entertaining as a film that deals with an alternate reality
25.00%
Another movie is more existential than both (please specify...)
11.11%
Another movie is more entertaining as a film that deals with an alternate reality (specify...)
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Matrix vs. Inception?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Matrix vs. Inception?

I'll go with Inception just because I found it more entertaining. The Matrix is a well crafted action/scifi flick but the dialog and wooden delivery was just so damn boring to me when I saw it in theaters -- especially once Neo wakes up in the "real" world the first time. Anything that happend on that ship was snooze worthy, and I did almost nod off a time or two. The fight scenes were pretty laughable and the leather outfits were silly. The gun scenes and helicopter scene were great, though. I also couldn't shake the feeling of "Ghost in the Shell meets Dark City." while watching it... it didn't help that I was also watching the series Serial Experiments Lain at the time.

Inception had a boring action scene (the James Bond one) but otherwise I enjoyed it.

eXistenZ was easily the best "Computer Reality" movie of 99 (competing with The Matrix and Thirteenth Floor) and was extremely enjoyable. Dark City is one of my all time favorites as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-06-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 02:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
truly surprised for the seemingly lack of love for Inception.
The more I see it, and think about it, the more I think it is one of those films that is an amazing first viewing, but won't hold up well to repeated viewings.

Too much explanatory exposition, too much dry conversation, too pretentious.

I have a bad memory, so I think I'll just watch it every 7 or so years and be wowed by it each time.
Old 12-06-10, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
truly surprised for the seemingly lack of love for Inception.
I'm pleasantly surprised. I practically got thrown out of the Inception thread for daring to not like it.
Old 12-06-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I personally like Inception more but I guess I've just never been all that big on The Matrix. Its a good movie and I own it but I wouldn't really call it a favorite. Kinda surprised at the backlash Inception seems to be getting.
Old 12-06-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm pleasantly surprised. I practically got thrown out of the Inception thread for daring to not like it.
Same here, for being one of the few people not buying it this week, its seems like lemmings rushing out to get this on Blu-Ray. I don't know where these people have been hiding that suddenly are realizing that the movie isn't nearly as smart as it fools people into thinking it is, but I've seen nothing but blind love for the film here, so I don't know why people are feeling otherwise all of a sudden.
Old 12-06-10, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

My roommate does Blu-ray QC, and he'd come home every night he worked on Inception with a whole new set of complaints about how the movie makes no sense. He doesn't hate it as much as Avatar, but it's close.
Old 12-06-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Same here, for being one of the few people not buying it this week, its seems like lemmings rushing out to get this on Blu-Ray. I don't know where these people have been hiding that suddenly are realizing that the movie isn't nearly as smart as it fools people into thinking it is, but I've seen nothing but blind love for the film here, so I don't know why people are feeling otherwise all of a sudden.
I think there's a pretty big difference between being a fan of the movie and buying the thing and being a lemming that buys into the "smartness" of it. Plus I don't think it ever tries to actually be smart, it's a summer action flick, and they practically explain every little thing in detail.

I found it to be an entertaining action/heist movie with visuals that should look fantastic on BD.
Old 12-06-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright, you've mentioned many times now how Inception fools and lures people into thinking it's smart. How are all of us sheep being coaxed by the film, and why exactly is it blind love?
Old 12-06-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Alright, you've mentioned many times now how Inception fools and lures people into thinking it's smart.
No I haven't, I posted it once, and a similar line another time. That is hardly "many".

How are all of us sheep being coaxed by the film, and why exactly is it blind love?
I never called anyone sheep. Its blind love because of the hardons for Nolan here that get bent out of shape if someone actually offers a different opinion and criticize him in any way. Inception has some cool visuals, all of which were in the initial full trailer and the film itself never offered anything more. The story is straight-foward and spells everything out with endless bromide exposition while sacrificing character development (or depth) and never once actually requires the audience to think, yet people get suckered into a cliched ambiguous ending that causes endless posts and about how briliant the movie was when it was anything but. As pure craft Shutter Island was lightyears ahead of Inception and Nolan structured a far better non-linear story that actually altered the way the audience's perception of a film with Memento.
Old 12-06-10, 03:57 PM
Banned by request

I agree with all of your points, Sessa. Group hug?
Old 12-06-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its blind love because of the hardons for Nolan here that get bent out of shape if someone actually offers a different opinion and criticize him in any way. Inception has some cool visuals, all of which were in the initial full trailer and the film itself never offered anything more. The story is straight-foward and spells everything out with endless bromide exposition while sacrificing character development (or depth) and never once actually requires the audience to think, yet people get suckered into a cliched ambiguous ending that causes endless posts and about how briliant the movie was when it was anything but.
Alright, there's an explanation. I disagree with it, and there's more meticulously-structured intelligence in Nolan's exposition and more depth in the Cobb-Mal emotional angle than it apparently receives credit for, but I do agree with the crammed exposition and watered-down periphery characters.
Old 12-06-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I never called anyone sheep.
In what way is calling people lemmings different? The implication is exactly the same. Arguing semantics is just a deflection.

Its blind love because of the hardons for Nolan here that get bent out of shape if someone actually offers a different opinion and criticize him in any way.
Sure, there are Nolan fanboys around, but many DVD Talkers have offered balanced and well-articulated arguments for the merits of Inception, which is far from "blind love." Your hyperbole is unwarranted and hurts your case against the movie. It makes you appear just as irrational as the Nolan fanboys.
Old 12-06-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with all of your points, Sessa. Group hug?
Be careful agreeing with me, I'm quite the polarizing figure.

Spoiler:
Old 12-06-10, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

Oh, don't worry, there's plenty we disagree on.
Old 12-06-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
In what way is calling people lemmings different? The implication is exactly the same. Arguing semantics is just a deflection.

Sure, there are Nolan fanboys around, but many DVD Talkers have offered balanced and well-articulated arguments for the merits of Inception, which is far from "blind love." Your hyperbole is unwarranted and hurts your case against the movie. It makes you appear just as irrational as the Nolan fanboys.
Another Sessa post criticizing people that like something that reached a level of mainstream popularity is unsurprising to me.
Old 12-06-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

To me it feels like comparing The Beatles & Pink Floyd. Both bands do completely different things on me and to say one had better musicians or better songs is preposterous. I love "Strawberry Fields" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" to death but I can't live without "Speak to Me" or "Arnold Lane"

There is too much greatness to diminish one in order to benefit the other
Old 12-06-10, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

That one's easy. The Beatles > Pink Floyd by a wide margin.
Old 12-06-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

That one's easy. The Beatles > Pink Floyd by a wide margin.
ha somehow i knew that was coming
Old 12-06-10, 04:39 PM
Banned by request

You set 'em up, I knock 'em down...
Old 12-06-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Another Sessa post criticizing people that like something that reached a level of mainstream popularity is unsurprising to me.
I know right, you'd think people would know better by now.
Old 12-06-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the legacy of the Matrix hadn't been tarnished by its sequels, this would be no contest.

And its not fair throwing Videodrome into the mix. Such a different film.
Old 12-06-10, 09:57 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
If the legacy of the Matrix hadn't been tarnished by its sequels, this would be no contest.
The sequels don't diminish the filmmaking skill or entertainment value of the first film.

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
And its not fair throwing Videodrome into the mix. Such a better film.
Fixed.