Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stupid Aliens Question

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stupid Aliens Question

Old 12-01-10, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Aliens Question

I have searched for this but to no avail:

Why is it, when Bishop alerts Ripley and Hicks about the emergency venting, does this mean the whole site detonates???

What is emergency venting in the first place? It seems so obvious to all the characters and maybe its a stupid question but I always wondered that?
Old 12-01-10, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Stupid Aliens Question

I think it was going to detonate because of the first attack from the aliens. It takes place where the dude tells them not to shoot anything because of the gas pipes. The gas leaked as they were firing at the aliens.
Don't know how emergency venting got activated.
Old 12-01-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it's better explained in the Special Edition version of the film. The whole colony site is essentially a large nuclear reactor (as pointed out in an earlier scene between Ripley, Burke and Gorman) and was ruptured by the explosion of the ship. Now there's some sort of pressure build up that's going to cause LV-426 to go up.

I'm assuming that the emergency venting is automatically activated to keep the place from going up immediately.

I'm tired; maybe someone else can explain it better.
Old 12-01-10, 02:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RagingBull pretty much got it. The emergency venting isn't causing the reactor to detonate, the emergency venting is occurring because the damage done to the reactor will eventually cause it to detonate. The venting is there to try and stall the meltdown.
Old 12-01-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The alien nest was under the primary heat exchanger, so all the firing must've ruptured the cooling system. The venting would be an emergency procedure to dump heat and avert a meltdown, but it was only a stop-gap so the colonists would have time to make repairs or get out of Dodge.
Old 12-01-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 198 Likes on 148 Posts

Damn, I thought this was going to be a discussion about stupid aliens, a much more interesting topic to me than a "Stupid question about the movie, ALIENS," which is what the thread should have been called so as not to confuse me.
Old 12-01-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 877 Likes on 611 Posts

Stupid Aliens = Building a nest inside a nuclear reactor.
Old 12-01-10, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Damn, I thought this was going to be a discussion about stupid aliens, a much more interesting topic to me than a "Stupid question about the movie, ALIENS," which is what the thread should have been called so as not to confuse me.
this...
Old 12-01-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought it was the dropship crash/explosion that caused all the problems. I think Ripley asks if it's possible to reverse it, but Bishop says that the explosion caused too much overload. I assume the explosion he was referring to was the dropship.
Old 12-01-10, 04:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

Can someone post the same thread in the Politics section so we can have a REAL discussion please? kthxbye.
Old 12-01-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Same. This thread was a total cocktease.
Old 12-01-10, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

OK, here's one. Why, in Signs, do the aliens invade a world which is covered in (and contains an atmosphere full of) the very thing that can kill them? It would be like humans deciding to invade a world made of methane with hydrochloric acid lakes.
Old 12-01-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Thank you, Suprmallet, for redeeming this thread.
Old 12-01-10, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....holy fuck he's right? WHY did they come here? Wha? It's like me eating a lot greasy shit but doing it anyway knowing that I"m not going to like taking that shit later cuz it's going to hurt. It doesn't make sense!
Old 12-01-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
OK, here's one. Why, in Signs, do the aliens invade a world which is covered in (and contains an atmosphere full of) the very thing that can kill them? It would be like humans deciding to invade a world made of methane with hydrochloric acid lakes.
Because they're stupid aliens.

Next question.
Old 12-01-10, 04:44 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Stupid aliens need our help most of all!
Old 12-01-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Maybe they had never encountered liquid water before.

2) Maybe it was only when water was at a certain temperature, or pressure, or mixed with air of a certain quality, or some other intangible (like faith) that it became dangerous to them.

3) Maybe we're the only other planet within trillions of light-years that has life, so we're on the short list to get invaded.

4) Maybe water fuels their systems and they're running out. (A planet covered in gasoline would be pretty inhospitable to us, yet quite worth the invasion.)

5) [dvdtalk] Maybe M. Night is a hack and cares only about the twist, plot be damned! [/dvdtalk]

Old 12-01-10, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by solid snake pac View Post
this...
+1
Old 12-01-10, 05:25 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
2) Maybe it was only when water was at a certain temperature, or pressure, or mixed with air of a certain quality, or some other intangible (like faith) that it became dangerous to them.
Nice!
Old 12-01-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to guess, I would say perhaps they've never encountered H2O before so they wouldn't KNOW that it would hurt them until they got here. That wsa my reasoning.

Imaging you went to uncharted world 3.7, once you get there you discover that the oceans are toxic to you. Hey, it looked like water from orbit.

Indigenous people: Stupid alien, why would he come here knowing that our oceans are covered in acid?

Answer: We DIDN'T know.

Edit: Oh Hi, Numanoid! Didn't see you there!
Old 12-01-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
4) Maybe water fuels their systems and they're running out. (A planet covered in gasoline would be pretty inhospitable to us, yet quite worth the invasion.)
Originally Posted by SuckaMC View Post
If I had to guess, I would say perhaps they've never encountered H2O before so they wouldn't KNOW that it would hurt them until they got here. That wsa my reasoning.
The three most common elements in the Universe are hydrogen, helium, and oxygen. Helium being a nobel gas doesn't bond to anything, which means that molecules composed of hydrogen and oxygen are common. Really, really common. There is no way aliens could not know what water is or know that Earth is covered in it. The ideas of aliens coming to Earth for water is one of the most laughably stupid ideas ever used in science fiction -- they could stop in the Oort Cloud or Kuiper Belt and get more water than all of Earth's oceans without having to lift it out of a gravity well.
Old 12-01-10, 09:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by SuckaMC View Post

Imaging you went to uncharted world 3.7, once you get there you discover that the oceans are toxic to you. Hey, it looked like water from orbit.

Indigenous people: Stupid alien, why would he come here knowing that our oceans are covered in acid?

Answer: We DIDN'T know.

Edit: Oh Hi, Numanoid! Didn't see you there!
Aside from Sean's comments about the abundance of water in the universe, do you think a society would get advanced enough to cross light years of space, but not enough to ascertain the chemical composition of a liquid?
Old 12-02-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 716 Likes on 505 Posts

Stupid Aliens, Trix are for kids!
Old 12-02-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And can someone please tell my why in Starship Troopers they would send infantry down to the bug's planet? Why wouldn't they just send down an endless barrage of nuclear missiles until the entire planet was rendered lifeless?
Old 12-02-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,100 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
And can someone please tell my why in Starship Troopers they would send infantry down to the bug's planet? Why wouldn't they just send down an endless barrage of nuclear missiles until the entire planet was rendered lifeless?
that would be better answered in the "Stupid Humans Question" thread.

one of you should go start one. I'm too lazy to do so.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.