Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

I'm none too worried about the September reboot. Eventually the multiverse will rear its ugly head again and the "real" DC heroes will be back and these will be relegated to minor appearances during yet another "Crisis" storyline.
Old 08-08-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks fine without the underpants too
Old 08-08-11, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooo what led DC to reboot/revise/rewhatever the DC Universe? And how many times have they done that?
Old 08-08-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm actually fine with the September re-design. But i find it laughable that people claim Snyder is basing the movie look on it. The new movie costume looks like the typical 80's costume with a weird texture added to it for no good reason.

At least the Jim lee "armoured" texture makes sense given all the scrapes Superman gets into with beings as strong (if not stronger) than himself.
Old 08-08-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least all of these slightly varying Superman costumes are barely a big deal as compared to what was done with the Wonder Woman costume (in the "new look Wonder Woman" comic book and the canceled show). Someone is complaining that a textured look is worse than an all-spandex look? Someone is complaining that he doesn't have a curl? Be happy no nipples were added! What really matters is that they all focus on writing a good Superman movie for a change. You don't even have to worry about Snyder - he's a solid visual director. Be thankful it's not Paul "Shaky" Greengrass directing. Snyder is not writing the movie. All the pressure should be on Jonathan Nolan, Kurt Johnstad, David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan who all better be writing an interesting, exciting movie compared to what we got from those past five fair to poor Superman flicks.
Old 08-08-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

At least the Jim lee "armoured" texture makes sense given all the scrapes Superman gets into with beings as strong (if not stronger) than himself.
But he's SUPERMAN. You know... the Man of Steel?? Why the fuck would he need armor?
Old 08-08-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But he's SUPERMAN. You know... the Man of Steel?? Why the fuck would he need armor?
He's gotten the shit kicked out of him so many times that armour would actually be far more practicle than relying exclusively on his nigh invulnerability.
Old 08-08-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

People actually held up pics from SUPERMAN RETURNS as an example of how GOOD Superman looked in that movie?

BTW "straight" guys arguing about "hair" and "texture"...
Old 08-08-11, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Soooo what led DC to reboot/revise/rewhatever the DC Universe?
Comic book sales as a whole have been struggling since the late 90s. DC is relaunching their whole line in the hopes that it will revitalize sales and create a new era of fandom like the 80s and early 90s.

And how many times have they done that?
This is the second time. The first time was Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985. Zero Hour in 1994 and Infinite Crisis in 2005 are sometimes considered, but they only made minor changes and were nowhere near the same magnitude that COIE or the upcoming Flashpoint-relaunch are.
Old 08-08-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
People actually held up pics from SUPERMAN RETURNS as an example of how GOOD Superman looked in that movie?

When the "improvement" is this shitty, yeah. The shame is that Snyder's costume would be great if it had colour and it didn't look like Superman's costume was an aborted basketball fetus.

Aren't you a regular in the Project Runway threads?

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Comic book sales as a whole have been struggling since the late 90s. DC is relaunching their whole line in the hopes that it will revitalize sales and create a new era of fandom like the 80s and early 90s.

This is the second time. The first time was Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985. Zero Hour in 1994 and Infinite Crisis in 2005 are sometimes considered, but they only made minor changes and were nowhere near the same magnitude that COIE or the upcoming Flashpoint-relaunch are.
Are they gonna "explain" the relaunch or are they "starting fresh"?
Old 08-08-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

The industry imploded in 1993.

By early 1993, Marvel prices were a minimum of $1.25 per copy, with several enhanced issues each month. With well over 100 titles being printed each month, the monthly cost for a dedicated fan to purchase the entire Marvel line was approximately $150.00. It was at this point that the comics market started falling apart at the seams. We noticed it first in our retail stores, as the number of monthly subscribers we were servicing started to fall precipitously. Simultaneously, impulse sales from our new comics racks plummeted, and long-time subscribers began dropping titles from their subscriptions in large numbers. The worst-hit publisher in this decline was Image, with Valiant/Acclaim a close second. Those publishers dropped so quickly that we saw declines as high as 35% per month on certain titles! Given the non-returnable rules of comics retailing, and the fact that our orders were being placed two months in advance, this resulted in a cash flow nightmare. We simply couldn't cut our orders as fast as demand was dropping! We "ate" unsold issues by the thousands...
- from an article on Mile High Comics website.

From where I sat, the companies (primarily but not exclusively Marvel) were chasing a very fickle audience of 12 to 20 year old wannabe Trumps who were speculating on everything, driven by the fan appeal of the Image comics lines launch a couple years earlier. The big problem was they were creating sensation and sizzle and controversy (characters being crippled, beaten to death, with plenty of polybags and variant covers to go around), but not very good stories.

DC really seems to be chasing nostalgic 20 and 30 somethings with this reboot- people who were collecting at the start of the Image era and may still have fond memories of that time. They sure don't seem to be going after a new audience, because this universe is just as convoluted, and off putting to newcomers, as it ever was. To get those people, they really need to divest themselves of all this intermingling between characters and multi-issue/multi-title storylines. Simple, clear, engaging stories satisfyingly wrapped up in one or two issues will get people reading the things again.

I expect another implosion a few years from now. And things will be radically different after that, since the next implosion will take most of the local comic shops with it.
Old 08-08-11, 12:56 PM
Banned

Are they gonna "explain" the relaunch or are they "starting fresh"?
Have you read anything on Flashpoint? Reverse Flash has changed the timeline, and therefore the relaunch is a result of that.

They aren't going to be starting completely fresh. Characters that have had consistently good sales like Batman and Green Lantern are keeping basically all their continuity and won't be affected much by the relaunch. Other characters like Superman who have had declining sales are getting drastic overhauls.

Its pretty much exactly like COIE was in the 80s. Superman back then got a drastic overhaul while Batman remained largely unchanged.
Old 08-08-11, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The industry imploded in 1993.
It was definitely later than 1993.

The Death of Superman was 92-93 and Knightfall was 93-94. Those events were extremely popular.

I would say that the implosion happened in 96. People were getting sick and tired of the Spider-man Clone Saga dragging on and on, and then Onslaught appeared and slaughtered the Marvel universe which was symbolic of the industry crash in my opinion.
Old 08-08-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

When the "improvement" is this shitty, yeah. The shame is that Snyder's costume would be great if it had colour and it didn't look like Superman's costume was an aborted basketball fetus.
I don't know about an aborted basketball fetus, but a Princess who could shit a basketball could rule the universe unopposed for millenia. Also, cake.

I think the costume looks pretty damn cool, but some people just insist on a man in tights. Hmm....
Aren't you a regular in the Project Runway threads?
What are you doing cruising Project Runway threads, Mister Rough Trader?
Old 08-08-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why so many people compare the new pic to versions of the past. The old superman movies are quite dated. The returns sequel was a bore. Why should this new movie try to replicate things that have already been done, and in some instances not even done in a really effective way from a film making/story telling perspective.

Superman needs to be badass in the 21st century......not capable of being badass.
Old 08-08-11, 01:42 PM
Banned

Yeah, I don't get it. Why are we daring to compare it to the previous films?

A film that doesn't need whatever attachment those of the past besides the source material. Much like Nolan's films. It is a MODERN (we really fucking needed that from movie Supes) telling of Supes.

I hope we don't have goofy Clark but instead the smart modern one. I'm really tired of goofy Clark. I'm very glad the comics changed that and (if I remember correctly) so did S:TAS. Superman is Superman...that aspect that we know of that identity is pretty much the same here and there. But that Clark Kent has got to man up. He's an alien man. Let his suit look different but not so much that it doesn't look like Supes...cuz he is suit as well. Modernize it. And they did. So far...from just that pic we got..I'm digging it. I'd like to see the full suit in a fully lit fashion but I'm digging it either way.

I'm also waiting to see how Amy Adams plays Lois. Cuz she can be a very entertaining character just cuz of her personality and workmanship.
Old 08-08-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know about an aborted basketball fetus, but a Princess who could shit a basketball could rule the universe unopposed for millenia. Also, cake.

I think the costume looks pretty damn cool, but some people just insist on a man in tights. Hmm....
I'll be honest, the only things I don't like about the costume are that weird basketball texture and the desaturated colour scheme. If not for those two things, I'd be praising the costume.

I don't need it to be tights. But I don't want a rubber suit either.

What are you doing cruising Project Runway threads, Mister Rough Trader?
I... I get bored is all.

Have you read anything on Flashpoint? Reverse Flash has changed the timeline, and therefore the relaunch is a result of that.

They aren't going to be starting completely fresh. Characters that have had consistently good sales like Batman and Green Lantern are keeping basically all their continuity and won't be affected much by the relaunch. Other characters like Superman who have had declining sales are getting drastic overhauls.

Its pretty much exactly like COIE was in the 80s. Superman back then got a drastic overhaul while Batman remained largely unchanged.
Nope. Nothing this is all new to me. But, given what you described, this'll be reveresed in a few years. So it's not really that big of a deal.
Old 08-08-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

P

Eh, all he needs is a little product.
Old 08-08-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andy434343
I don't know why so many people compare the new pic to versions of the past. The old superman movies are quite dated.
The Superman suit is classic, not dated. If anything, THIS suit will be the dated one, in time.
Old 08-08-11, 05:04 PM
Banned

The superman suit we come to love on the page is classic and great. I like it. If I had to make ANY change to it..it's probably be the trunks..but w/ that..you'd need to revamp it cuz well...you take one thing out of it...you have to remold it to not look awkward. I dunno how it'll look w/ other artists' interpretation of it...I honestly don't think it was needed. Again..in today's world...especially in our world..it looks goofy.

The Reeves suit fits fine for that franchise's time. When it got to Adventures of Clark Kent and Lois Lane (it was called that right?) the suit was fine...but losing it's luster in terms of what it was made of. It didn't look hot.

If we had a cotton or whatever the Reeves suit was made of in today's time...it'd look cheap and funny looking.

Superman Returns' suit was fine I guess...still...in today's world of fashion...trunks (or as we call it underwear on the outside for these guys)

Superman is much more than the trunks. He needs the basic composition of what it is..but changes if need be. Trunks are gone...big deal. They revamped the look. Superman is bit more than red trunks. It'll look fine based off what we have.

Imagine the Burton suit. Dated. Why? Batman can't move for shit and big. And it's a big multi pieced rubber mold. So the suit made the man. Instead of the man making the suit, which is fine for Keaton as an acting role but...it's dated now. Still cool though from a visual design point. JS's suits...are so crazy that it got dated quickly. The Nolan ones I dunno yet. I don't think they'll look dated cuz of the dynamic idea of what the suit was going to be used for in terms of who the character was. A "realism" factor or whatever.

How about we freak out more responsibly when we full a full shot of it in better lighting?
Old 08-08-11, 05:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sorry, but unless there are kitty ears on that suit I am boycotting the movie!!
Old 08-08-11, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
I don't know why so many people compare the new pic to versions of the past. The old superman movies are quite dated. The returns sequel was a bore. Why should this new movie try to replicate things that have already been done, and in some instances not even done in a really effective way from a film making/story telling perspective.

Superman needs to be badass in the 21st century......not capable of being badass.
That's the problem with this generation always wanting to fuck with the original concept. From making vampires not evil who fall in love to wanting James Bond to be gay.
Old 08-08-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
That's the problem with this generation always wanting to fuck with the original concept. From making vampires not evil who fall in love to wanting James Bond to be gay.
Remember that the original concept is not from a movie.........so why compare such interpretations in previous movies to this pic that was released.

What age group do you classify this generation?

I am 31

I could care less about lame vampire love stories.

I would only assume that it's gay people who would want James bond to be gay. Which has nothing to do with generations.....

I just want to see movies that will entertain me.

I do not need a curl in superman's hair, or a specific looking costume for that to happen.

I need an action packed superman movie to be entertained. Not a specific looking superman.....
Old 08-08-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it makes sense that Superman costume has to be strong. Superman is invincible not his costume. Unless that argument about him creating a shield around his costume is brought up but I doubt that's ever been mentioned in any movie.
Old 08-08-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I'm at a point now where I think it's absurd to have such absolute positions about what is and is not an acceptable evolution or experiment for characters. We embrace the Batman who refuses to carry a gun vs. the gun-toting detective Bob Kane created, and any reasonable person has been more than satisfied with Dame Judi Dench as "M." And on what authority does anyone have it that vampires must be evil? Hell, even Dracula wanted to fall in love.

My point is, there's more than enough room in the world for different takes on these characters and themes. You're under no obligation to like all of them any more than they're under any obligation to adhere to what we think they should be. Not that it matters, but I personally haven't seen or heard anything about The Man of Steel yet that has me prejudiced against it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.