Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity 3 - 10/21/11

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paranormal Activity 3 - 10/21/11

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 (CATFISH directors Joost/Schulman) >> 10/21/2011

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Spoiler:

Also, how did the last tape end up in the box? Did the witchy Grandma take the tape out of the camera and go back to the Featherston's house and plant the tape in the same box the mom's boyfriend was storing the others in?
Spoiler:

Katie says at the beginning of the movie that the boxes came from her Grandma's house. So there's that. Why she would hang on to video evidence of two ritual satanic murders that she was involved in is another matter alltogether
Old 10-25-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
So an unnecessary scene at the end of the movie that would have ruined the impact of the ending would have been a good thing? lol
Well, I would have enjoyed that scene seeing old women play witchcraft, so I wouldn't say it would ruin the impact of the ending seeing as many disliked the ending.
Old 10-25-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Spoiler:

Katie says at the beginning of the movie that the boxes came from her Grandma's house. So there's that. Why she would hang on to video evidence of two ritual satanic murders that she was involved in is another matter alltogether
Ahh...The funny thing is, I knew that. I was thinking about it earlier. For some reason, though, when I was writing my post that never entered my mind.

My thinking was more along the lines of:
Spoiler:
How did all the tapes get together in the box. I can see the Grandma having the tape in the camera (not sure why she'd keep it though), but at some point she must have gotten the others and added this one to the box. Also, she must have kept filming and adding to the box, since when we first see it at Kristi's , there are tapes labeled with names like "Katie '94".

Oooh! Come to think of it, Katie is 8 in 1988 in this movie. In PA1, she mentioned the occurances started again when she was 13 (1994). I think I just found where PA4 will come from.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I wouldn't say it would ruin the impact of the ending seeing as many disliked the ending.
I have seen a lot of people saying they didn't like the ending, but it was actually my favorite part of the movie.
Old 10-25-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Might go see this tonight.

Is this a stand-alone film that doesn't need background from the previous 2?
Old 10-25-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More or less, sure.

Since it's a prequel, you can always catch the other ones another time. But I don't think anyone needs to have seen 1 and 2 to enjoy it.
Old 10-25-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
A couple things that bug me, but don't ruin the film for me. (I'm really good at suspending disbelief. )

Spoiler:
How are we seeing these tapes? Katie leaves them at Kristi's house and when the demon ransacks the place, it takes them. How do they get from the demon's possession to the people who released the film? At least the first two had a title card that explained that they were releasing the tape footage in co-operation with the police. Also, if it was all raw tape footage from multiple tapes, who edited it together and added the title cards? The Demon?

Also, how did the last tape end up in the box? Did the witchy Grandma take the tape out of the camera and go back to the Featherston's house and plant the tape in the same box the mom's boyfriend was storing the others in?
Really, it's kind of like The Office and its bogus "documentary" gimmick that has gone on way too long and to the point of absurdity. Namely, the original story is built around an interesting concept that works reasonably well and is believable when the story is limited in scope. However, once the story is expanded beyond that limited scope (usually for commercial reasons), the concept is no longer really believable, and the creators are backed into a corner where they have to come up with illogical contrivances to stick to the original concept, or otherwise pretend it doesn't exist and hope the audience forgets/ignores the increasingly preposterous nature of it (as they seem to be doing with The Office).
Old 10-25-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think this is the best film in the series so far. I was surprised by the amount of footage shown in the trailer that we didn't get to see here. Usually a trailer will have a few shots that aren't in the final film, but in many ways the last trailer we got was full of stuff we're missing in the film. No bother, though, since what we do get is really good. The oscillating fan was a great idea. Loved the sheet gag and the kitchen falling into place. I hope when it hits BD there's all that extra footage included.
As someone else mentioned, I don't don't see how that trailer was shot with the movie we got in PA3. I didn't watch any trailers for this movie, because they usually give away too many of the big scares, but when I got finished watching it tonight after getting back from the movie I was amazed. The second trailer posted in this thread shows like a totally different movie. While I liked PA3 well enough, I actually want to see the movie the trailer was hinting at more. It seems like the mother was clued into what was going on much earlier in the trailer, and gets put through the ringer just like her daughters did in the first two movies. Whereas in the PA3 proper, she's kept into the dark until the very end.

Are we supposed to think there is something to the mother not being with the girl's biological father?

Lastly, I'm totally open to being haunted by a demon if it means I get to live in these badass houses these Paranormal people always live in.
Old 10-26-11, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did lot of research and I’ve been analyzing alot of scenes and I’ve found a picture of the ghost Toby. Here it is

Spoiler:
Old 10-26-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a brief run-down of what was in the theatrical trailer that wasn't in the final theatrical cut:

- Kristi knocking on the mirror and the mirror knocking back.
- Kristi jumping off the stairs.
- Kristi getting interviewed more on Toby.
- Kristi throwing water on Toby.
- All of the footage with the demonoligst (one of the clips where he's exploring the closet that Katie gets trapped in during the theatrical edit, the word "Hunter" can be shown spelt backwards).
- The lights exploding on the staircase.
- Footage of a house on fire.
- More general chaos in the house.

Not going to lie, I agree with the other posters. I would've preferred to see the movie being hinted at in the trailers than the final cut of the film.
Old 10-27-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched it tonight with my fiancee. We jumped way too much. What a great ride. Looking forward to more. Can't get enough of these flicks.
Old 10-28-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Watched it tonight with my fiancee. We jumped way too much. What a great ride. Looking forward to more. Can't get enough of these flicks.
Replace fiancee with friend and this is exactly my experience with PA3. Great movie? No, Not by a long shot. A ton of fun? Absolutely.
Old 10-28-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was actually pretty surprised by this. Caught a showing last night and it was really a lot of fun. I think I liked this movie better than the other two to be honest. It had some creepy moments but overall wasn't that frightening but it was a good ride. The worst part was the actual experience like a few others have mentioned. Movies like this really do tend to get the most annoying crowds that just don't shut up and keep walking in and out throughout.
Old 10-30-11, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was alright. It started out very, very slow, but it did eventually pick up.

Spoiler:
Loved the kitchen scene. I was like "Where the fuck did everything go?" BAM. The Ghost sheet behind the babysitter was cool too
Old 10-30-11, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With moviecash, I saw this film tonight. Good size crowd. I was late and had to seat in the middle of the third row. This movie was poor. I haven't seen the first two movies. This one just went on and on. The camera shook constantly which I had some prior knowledge of but it made me get a headache and being that close to the screen just made it worst. The camera on the oscillating fan base really annoyed me further. Every few minutes they would throw you a bone and try to scare you. Some in the audience screamed but just as often they would burst out laughing. At many times, it felt like the director was building the suspense but not giving you any real scare until the last 10 minutes which was not as scary or frightening as most horror movies. Thankfully, this was just over 80 minutes. This is a movie I would have had no problem walking out of.

I don't get the appeal and popularity of this movie franchise.
Old 11-01-11, 03:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Really liked it. Thought 1 was alright and 2 disappointing, so I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one at all. But I loved the jump scares, thought the story held together well, and felt the the building sense of dread throughout the film.