Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MOONRISE KINGDOM (May 2012) (dir. Wes Anderson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

MOONRISE KINGDOM (May 2012) (dir. Wes Anderson)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MOONRISE KINGDOM (May 2012) (dir. Wes Anderson)

I loved it. I was grinning ear to ear during it's entire run time. I would definitely put this with his top tier films. I think it's one of his best.
Old 07-01-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I was surprised that it was a rather large crowd and not that many couples. The quirky nature of the leads were fun to watch. I felt like I was watching a play put on by a local theater group, which is a good thing in this instance. It was one of the few times I've felt like applauding as the credits rolled. I will see this again after finding out my girlfriend likes his movies.
Old 07-01-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musick
Finally saw this today ... I'd rank it as bottom tier WA along with The Royal Tenenbaums (which by most accounts is still better than 90% of the crap out there)

by the way how many instances of dot marks and watermarks are necessary on a damn film to "prevent piracy" ... this film was littered with them becoming a major distraction
Firstly, to say The Royal Tenenbaums is "bottom tier" Anderson is insane!

I'd like to hear your reasoning on this seeing that everything about it is superb.

Also I wasn't distracted at all by the marks at all. You shouldn't zone in on something like that, it's just silly.
Old 07-01-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Firstly, to say The Royal Tenenbaums is "bottom tier" Anderson is insane!

I'd like to hear your reasoning on this seeing that everything about it is superb.

Also I wasn't distracted at all by the marks at all. You shouldn't zone in on something like that, it's just silly.
thanx for giving two examples of how you are not me
glad we cleared that up
Old 07-01-12, 09:57 PM

Glad you cleared up the fact you don't know how to rationally express your views and opinions! Great job!
Old 07-02-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad you cleared up the fact you don't know how to rationally express your views and opinions! Great job!
You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you never heard! but I can hardly compete with these gems of cineamatic criticism ...

The Hurt Locker (I don't Actually hate it, I just find that I hate it when people talk to well of it. It was pretty good but nothing more).
The Bourne movie won't have Damon but the Bourneyness of it should still push it well over 100mil.

Yes...YES!!! YESSSS!!!!!

I'm one of those assholes who refused to let people ruin my films.

My wife said I trampled some people when I went to see 'A Separation'.

Two older people sat down a seat away from me and started loud whispering then outright talking quietly. I allowed it to go on for awhile then politely asked them to please don't talk. I was told "then you move!" to which I said "ME MOVE, THAT'S IT!". I jumped up and plowed through the row and out the door to get an attendant. When I came back with the attendant they never said another word. I think I scared the crap out of them which I was fine with.
It's one thing to be stupid enough to talk in a film, it's another thing to talk during a foreign film and it's still another thing to be rude when you're asked to be quiet.
I've had to lay down the law with people WAY too much recently at theaters and it's annoying.
Screw kids. Screw kids likes or dislikes!...Have we forgotten that they are imbeciles?
fyi .... You shouldn't zone in on something like that Coltrane, it's just silly.

Last edited by musick; 07-02-12 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-02-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How on earth does a dick-measuring contest spring up in a Wes Anderson thread? I can see in a Fast & Furious thread, but while talking about Moonrise Kingdom? Really?
Old 07-02-12, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by musick
You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you never heard! but I can hardly compete with these gems of cineamatic criticism ...

fyi .... You shouldn't zone in on something like that Coltrane, it's just silly.
What the hell are you rambling on about? You could have at least tried to make a connection instead of choosing random posts.

I can tell you my exact problems with The Hurt Locker, no problem. I have many times in forum posts.

The quoted Bourne post really makes no sense at all in this discussion. I have no clue what you're doing there.

And I'm assuming you're trying to connect your odd issue with some watermarks to my issue with talkers in movies who tell me to move when I ask them to be quiet. Yeah, that's a real comparison, sure!

Bottom line, I can't believe you went and did all this. It shows something very odd in you.
The funniest thing was I literally just wanted to know how you could possibly think RT's was lower tier Anderson. I thought you could give a.., you know... Reason, as to why you thought that. I was actually interested in knowing. You know, like a discussion you might have in, oh let's say, a forum talking about Wes Anderson films! Instead you give a douchey followup post. I wasn't trying to insult you, I wanted to know what your reasoning was. Oh well.
Old 07-02-12, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You bitches be crazy.
Old 07-02-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the hell are you rambling on about? You could have at least tried to make a connection instead of choosing random posts.

I can tell you my exact problems with The Hurt Locker, no problem. I have many times in forum posts.

The quoted Bourne post really makes no sense at all in this discussion. I have no clue what you're doing there.

And I'm assuming you're trying to connect your odd issue with some watermarks to my issue with talkers in movies who tell me to move when I ask them to be quiet. Yeah, that's a real comparison, sure!

Bottom line, I can't believe you went and did all this. It shows something very odd in you.
The funniest thing was I literally just wanted to know how you could possibly think RT's was lower tier Anderson. I thought you could give a.., you know... Reason, as to why you thought that. I was actually interested in knowing. You know, like a discussion you might have in, oh let's say, a forum talking about Wes Anderson films! Instead you give a douchey followup post. I wasn't trying to insult you, I wanted to know what your reasoning was. Oh well.
I've always been considered an asshole for about as long as I can remember. That's just my style. But I'd really feel blue if I didn't think you were going to forgive me.
Old 07-02-12, 10:45 AM

I don't think you're an asshole, musick. I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch.
Old 07-02-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sorry, don't listen to me. I'm on mescaline. I've been spaced out all day.
Old 07-02-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 455 Likes on 313 Posts

What just happened?
Old 07-02-12, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anderson Cooper is gay is what happened.
Old 07-02-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Movie nerd hand slap fight!
Old 07-02-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Anderson Cooper is gay is what happened.
I didn't think so much of him at first. But now I get it, he's everything that I'm not.
Old 07-14-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Thought it was a very cute movie. Nothing more. "Fantastic Mr. Fox" still remains Anderson's best film IMO. I'd give this a 6/10 rating. Maybe 7. Need to watch it again one day.
Old 07-14-12, 06:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw this again the other day and sat through the end credits which I hadn't done the first time, what a delight - the Desplat score is great but the music cue during the credits is inventive and fun.
Old 07-22-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally came to a local second run theater. It's funny cause this place is so dead and every time i go expect it to go out of business. But they always manage to get some great indie and foreign films to show there. The manager must be a film lover.

Great movie! loved every minute of it. Not the greatest Anderson film but it's up there.

1.Rushmore
2.Royal Tennebaums
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4.Fantastic Mr.Fox

I now realize i need to see his other movies!
Old 07-22-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Especially Bottle Rocket.
Old 07-22-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it's...

Rushmore
The Royal Tenebaums
Bottle Rocket
Moonrise Kingdom
The Aquatic Life with Steve Zissou
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Darjeeling Limited

That said, I really enjoy The Darjeeling Limited (I think it's his most visually interesting film), so I don't have much hate for the man as a director.
Old 07-22-12, 05:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Darjeeling Limited
Moonrise Kingdom
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Rushmore
Bottle Rocket
Old 07-22-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this is still my favorite movie of the year.
Old 11-04-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

This is a good movie, really enjoyed it. I'm not as big on Wes Anderson as others (didn't like Life Aquatic) but this is one of his best films imo. Thought it was a cute story and I really like the cinematography. Gorgeously shot.
Old 11-20-12, 06:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw this last night. Liked it a lot. I didn't dislike The Life Aquatic or The Darjeeling Limited but I did see them as a drop in quality from his earlier output. Moonrise places right up near the top as one of his best films.

I will say that his style has evolved to a level of such hyper-detail and flamboyant stylization that I fully understand why someone might dislike his work.

That being said those people should probably get stabbed with lefty-scissors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.