Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Chris tucker made two movies between 2001 & 2007 for 45 million plus 20% percentage points. I'd say he did a lot with nothing.
Old 10-05-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thank you, Drexl, and I wouldn't want to disappoint. The first one I thought of was Audie Murphy. He was a rural Texas boy who lived in extreme poverty with a hated, alcoholic father, and had to learn to shoot at a young age in order to feed his siblings and himself. As an infantryman in WWII, he shot and killed dozens of Nazi soldiers and became the most decorated American soldier in the war.

This led to Hollywood where he became a western star from 1950 through 1966. He was not a natural actor, but when he got a director who knew how to use his darker side (e.g. Don Siegel, Budd Boetticher, John Huston), the resulting portrayal was often quite compelling. He made a great Billy the Kid in THE KID FROM TEXAS (1950).

Personally, I love the guy and have seen most of his movies and read a bio of him. He had a limited range, but there was something sad and lonely in him that I can't help feeling for him, no matter how cheap and shopworn the material was.

Here's a poster from one of his better movies. Check out his co-stars:
I like Audie Murphy. He wasn't a great actor, but he was often right for the part. Ironically, one of his weaker performances was playing Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back. In some other movies, however (especially Westerns), he was quite good.

It's kind of sad - after all he survived in WWII he was killed in his 40's in a freak plane crash.
Old 10-05-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say:

johnny knoxville
Old 10-05-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bela Lugosi

Charles Bronson - Love him, but he wasn't really that good an actor. When he smiled, it looked like he was weak with diarrhea.

Nic Cage - Not knocking his talent, but BOY is he fucking ugly.
Old 10-05-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I hadn't even opened the thread yet and I was thinking Keanu Reeves.
Me too.
Old 10-05-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thank you, Drexl, and I wouldn't want to disappoint. The first one I thought of was Audie Murphy. He was a rural Texas boy who lived in extreme poverty with a hated, alcoholic father, and had to learn to shoot at a young age in order to feed his siblings and himself. As an infantryman in WWII, he shot and killed dozens of Nazi soldiers and became the most decorated American soldier in the war.

This led to Hollywood where he became a western star from 1950 through 1966. He was not a natural actor, but when he got a director who knew how to use his darker side (e.g. Don Siegel, Budd Boetticher, John Huston), the resulting portrayal was often quite compelling. He made a great Billy the Kid in THE KID FROM TEXAS (1950).
This still is from one of his later movies (don't know which one):

Personally, I love the guy and have seen most of his movies and read a bio of him. He had a limited range, but there was something sad and lonely in him that I can't help feeling for him, no matter how cheap and shopworn the material was.

Here's a poster from one of his better movies. Check out his co-stars:
You're going to hell for even associating Audie with this thread. Hell awaits Bucko!

'Seven Ways From Sundown' is one of my favorite westerns, and it's a very good western. Audie was not anywhere near the most with the least.
Old 10-05-10, 08:45 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Bela Lugosi

Charles Bronson - Love him, but he wasn't really that good an actor. When he smiled, it looked like he was weak with diarrhea.
lol

Those saying Arnold, he's an action star and has plenty of charisma, he and Harrison Ford are the two biggest 80s icons. It seems each decade most iconic is split between the actor and action star, 70s Pacino and Eastwood, 60s Connery and Newman.
Old 10-05-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Except for the fact that Jesse Eisenberg can actually act and isn't just a Michael Cera clone.
Agreed. Plus, he's fucking awesome, Michael Cera..... not so much.
Old 10-05-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
You're going to hell for even associating Audie with this thread. Hell awaits Bucko!

'Seven Ways From Sundown' is one of my favorite westerns, and it's a very good western. Audie was not anywhere near the most with the least.
I'm a fan of that one, too, Doc. I appreciate the defense of Audie and I'm happy to see him get some love in this thread. I might not have had the opportunity to inspire this reaction if I hadn't included him here, so don't consign me to hell just yet. My point was--and remains--that Audie came to Hollywood with no acting experience whatsoever and was thrust into a situation he was unprepared for and could easily have dissembled at any step of the way. His first wife says he used to sleep with a pistol under his pillow and wake up from bad dreams at night. He drank a lot and gambled. At his best he had limited range but managed to work with some fine directors who genuinely cared about him and worked closely with him. And when you look at his total body of work and the number of good westerns he made and his development of a likable and workable movie star persona, with compelling bursts of intensity at times, I would argue that he made a lot out of a humble beginning.
Old 10-05-10, 09:10 PM
En vacance

He was also in Red Badge of Courage which was on TCM's Essentials a while back.
Old 10-05-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

gotta be Arnold
Old 10-05-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love Ash Ketchum's responses. Somehow, the guy named after the main character from a children's card game phenomenon from the 2000s never posts about anything that happened after 1963.

It's like the guy is JFK's ghost.
Old 10-05-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll nominate Harrison Ford.

I like him and like most of his movies, but I've always thought his acting was really suspect.

Aside from Indiana Jones, he never really seems to look comfortable in his roles. He was born to play Indy, but personally I don't think he fits many of the roles he played over the years and his performances seemed awkward.
Old 10-05-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
I love Ash Ketchum's responses. Somehow, the guy named after the main character from a children's card game phenomenon from the 2000s never posts about anything that happened after 1963.

Sounds a little sketchy. Just saying.
Old 10-06-10, 03:19 AM
Suspended

That ugly bearded fat fuck from Knocked Up.
Old 10-06-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Now, I love martial arts movies, and I loved Chuck Norris movies as a kid, and I think he's a cool guy.....but, he has to be one of the stiffest, least natural actors of all time. Van Damme, Schwarzenegger and Seagal are like Sir Laurence Olivier compared to Chuck Norris.
Thirded.
Old 10-06-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, my favorite movie from the 1990s (after POKEMON: THE FIRST MOVIE, of course) is Oliver Stone's JFK (1991). And I'm still searching for JFK's murderers, so that his ghost can finally rest.
Old 10-06-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say Brendan Fraser has had a successful career considering he's, at best, a mediocre actor.
Old 10-06-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Except for the fact that Jesse Eisenberg can actually act and isn't just a Michael Cera clone.
Completely agree. Wish people would stop selling Eisenberg short.
Old 10-06-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'd say Brendan Fraser has had a successful career considering he's, at best, a mediocre actor.
I doubt he'll ever get an Oscar nomination, but there are certain things Fraser can do very well (e.g. the Mummy films) and as long as there's a demand for that kind of acting (the ability to take the most absurd things going on around him with absolute seriousness), he'll have a career. He was pretty good in THE QUIET AMERICAN (playing Audie Murphy's old role), but chiefly because the character was kind of designed along the lines of Fraser's screen persona. He's not a terribly well-etched character in the book, just kind of a cypher, representing American cluelessness. It's an anti-American book and I don't believe Graham Greene wanted to develop the character beyond a certain stereotype. So Fraser kind of fit the character to begin with. Still, I found Fraser quite effective in the role. However, I'd refrain from casting him as Hamlet any time soon.

Fraser reminds me a lot of Dennis O'Keefe, an all-purpose leading man in the 1940s and '50s, but I daresay I think O'Keefe was the better actor, if you judge him by his film noir roles, T-MEN and RAW DEAL.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-06-10 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-06-10, 06:35 PM
En vacance

He knows his stuff, pre-90s movies ftw.
Old 10-07-10, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Wait one gosh darn minute!!

Is this DVD Talk!?

Almost 50 posts and no one has mentioned...
Spoiler:
Old 10-07-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would imply she is an "actor".
Old 10-07-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Wait one gosh darn minute!!

Is this DVD Talk!?

Almost 50 posts and no one has mentioned...
Spoiler:
Or

Spoiler:

Last edited by inri222; 10-07-10 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

A lot of interesting choices that agree with, but for me i have to say John Wayne. He has become a legend and i never once enjoyed a performance he gave and found his acting to be at best wooden. And the image of a tough guy just went over me.....he always seemed a pigeon chested old man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.