Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Old 10-05-10, 03:21 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Which actor or actress do you think has managed to have the most impressive career despite having a noticeable lack of acting talent?

My pick would have to be Keanu Reeves. He's not a terrible actor, and is pretty good in some roles, but he definitely lacks range and can be very wooden at times.

Yet, he's still managed to have a career that many actors would kill for: Dangerous Liaisons, Point Break, My Own Private Idaho, Dracula, Speed, The Matrix, etc.
Old 10-05-10, 03:30 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,012
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

In terms of variety of roles, he's probably on top. But, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Adam Sandler have probably made more money.

Now I'll wait for Ash Ketchum to come in and give examples that go way back before anyone else.
Old 10-05-10, 03:38 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,788
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Charlie Sheen
Old 10-05-10, 03:55 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Reeves and Sandler are indeed right at the top of the list....

But Arnold owns this thread. He has no acting ability. Zero.

He's had an amazing career considering his lack of talent. It's positively jaw dropping how he made such a huge splash and maintained his A-list action star status despite not being able to act a lick.
Old 10-05-10, 07:18 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 37,855
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Most with the least? Verne Troyer. The guy has been in 25+ films and he only weighs 55 lbs.
Old 10-05-10, 07:59 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,223
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Adam Sandler & Sly Stallone top my list
Old 10-05-10, 08:08 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,297
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

I hadn't even opened the thread yet and I was thinking Keanu Reeves.
Old 10-05-10, 08:08 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Reeves and Sandler are indeed right at the top of the list....

But Arnold owns this thread. He has no acting ability. Zero.

He's had an amazing career considering his lack of talent. It's positively jaw dropping how he made such a huge splash and maintained his A-list action star status despite not being able to act a lick.
I think Ah-nuld has one thing those other two guys do not, a lot of charisma.

Look tough and be likable, that is really all you need for an action movie.
Old 10-05-10, 08:40 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I hadn't even opened the thread yet and I was thinking Keanu Reeves.
Old 10-05-10, 09:59 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
I think Ah-nuld has one thing those other two guys do not, a lot of charisma.

Look tough and be likable, that is really all you need for an action movie.
That is EXACTLY why he's badass. I wish Tony Jaa could have that...but no..that guy has zero charisma. He has physical talent sure...but no screen presence. Also...I hate the sound of his voice. Sounds like a woman Thai woman bitching or something.
Old 10-05-10, 10:06 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Michael Cera. Say what you want about him, but he plays the same character just in a different situation in every movie he's been in.
Old 10-05-10, 10:25 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 10,244
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
Michael Cera. Say what you want about him, but he plays the same character just in a different situation in every movie he's been in.
Yeah and the guy who I always get think is Michael Cera who plays the same character in Zombieland, Adventureland, etc.
Old 10-05-10, 10:57 AM
  #13  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Ive got to go with Arnold Schwarzenegger, he has no acting ability but yet has appeared in some of the biggest movies and made a lot of $$$, and i just enjoy watching him, he looks the part for the big bad action movies.
Old 10-05-10, 11:00 AM
  #14  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Yeah and the guy who I always get think is Michael Cera who plays the same character in Zombieland, Adventureland, etc.
You're thinking of Mark Zuckerberg, who just played the real life Michael Cera in The Social Experiment.
Old 10-05-10, 11:16 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Someone once told me that Reeves gets work because he shows up to sets on time, sober, with his lines memorized and is nice to the crew.
Old 10-05-10, 11:27 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,750
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
In terms of variety of roles, he's probably on top. But, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Adam Sandler have probably made more money.

Now I'll wait for Ash Ketchum to come in and give examples that go way back before anyone else.
Thank you, Drexl, and I wouldn't want to disappoint. The first one I thought of was Audie Murphy. He was a rural Texas boy who lived in extreme poverty with a hated, alcoholic father, and had to learn to shoot at a young age in order to feed his siblings and himself. As an infantryman in WWII, he shot and killed dozens of Nazi soldiers and became the most decorated American soldier in the war.


This led to Hollywood where he became a western star from 1950 through 1966. He was not a natural actor, but when he got a director who knew how to use his darker side (e.g. Don Siegel, Budd Boetticher, John Huston), the resulting portrayal was often quite compelling. He made a great Billy the Kid in THE KID FROM TEXAS (1950).
This still is from one of his later movies (don't know which one):

Personally, I love the guy and have seen most of his movies and read a bio of him. He had a limited range, but there was something sad and lonely in him that I can't help feeling for him, no matter how cheap and shopworn the material was.

Here's a poster from one of his better movies. Check out his co-stars:

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-05-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 11:37 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Yeah and the guy who I always get think is Michael Cera who plays the same character in Zombieland, Adventureland, etc.
Looking pretty good in Social network
Old 10-05-10, 11:52 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,511
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Nicolas Cage...
Old 10-05-10, 12:18 PM
  #19  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,833
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?



talk about a face made for radio.
Old 10-05-10, 12:44 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 47,461
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Cameron Diaz
Old 10-05-10, 12:52 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,638
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Thank you, Drexl, and I wouldn't want to disappoint. The first one I thought of was Audie Murphy. He was a rural Texas boy who lived in extreme poverty with a hated, alcoholic father, and had to learn to shoot at a young age in order to feed his siblings and himself. As an infantryman in WWII, he shot and killed dozens of Nazi soldiers and became the most decorated American soldier in the war.


This led to Hollywood where he became a western star from 1950 through 1966. He was not a natural actor, but when he got a director who knew how to use his darker side (e.g. Don Siegel, Budd Boetticher, John Huston), the resulting portrayal was often quite compelling. He made a great Billy the Kid in THE KID FROM TEXAS (1950).
This still is from one of his later movies (don't know which one):

Personally, I love the guy and have seen most of his movies and read a bio of him. He had a limited range, but there was something sad and lonely in him that I can't help feeling for him, no matter how cheap and shopworn the material was.

Here's a poster from one of his better movies. Check out his co-stars:
Isn't Murphy the most decorated soldier in U.S. history? I love the guy too. Another who cashed in on his war record is Neville Brand. He was the 5th most decorated soldier of WWII.
Old 10-05-10, 12:54 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Now, I love martial arts movies, and I loved Chuck Norris movies as a kid, and I think he's a cool guy.....but, he has to be one of the stiffest, least natural actors of all time. Van Damme, Schwarzenegger and Seagal are like Sir Laurence Olivier compared to Chuck Norris.
Old 10-05-10, 12:58 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

hahahahaha....I'll agree about that.
Old 10-05-10, 01:11 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

Shia LeBigMac
Old 10-05-10, 01:24 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which actor has accomplished the most with least?

I will say that Adam Sandler has proved himself a capable and talented actor in movies like Spanglish, Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and Funny People.

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Adam Sandler & Sly Stallone top my list
Outrageous.

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
Yeah and the guy who I always get think is Michael Cera who plays the same character in Zombieland, Adventureland, etc.
Except for the fact that Jesse Eisenberg can actually act and isn't just a Michael Cera clone.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.