Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ENDHIRAN (aka The Robot) full trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ENDHIRAN (aka The Robot) full trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ENDHIRAN (aka The Robot) full trailer

Here's my review:

Enthiran Mega-review
Old 10-09-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hN9Me7Wh19w?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hN9Me7Wh19w?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-10-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flixtime
I have vague recollection that when SIVAJI opened in the U.S.
That's another movie I really need to get on BD.
Spoiler:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tAFZR5C_i0?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tAFZR5C_i0?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-t116pN7JI?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-t116pN7JI?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WwfTrMCLOc?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WwfTrMCLOc?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQYBs0jwRLc?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQYBs0jwRLc?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iywwp-Hew84?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iywwp-Hew84?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UfMZ5tsQNb4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UfMZ5tsQNb4?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

There's even a brief homage to Sivaji in Enthiran.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-11-10 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-10-10, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That clip was horrible. I'd rather see Transformers 2. Man, I hate most of India's mainstream films. They're so shitty.
Old 10-10-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That clip was horrible. I'd rather see Transformers 2. Man, I hate most of India's mainstream films. They're so shitty.
lol. True, I agree with you, but Sivaji is one wacky crazy entertaining film.
Old 10-10-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hN9Me7Wh19w?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hN9Me7Wh19w?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Wow, he's actually bald! So he's like the Sean Connery of India now, not Joe Pesci. I thought he really had a thick head of hair!
Old 10-10-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which clip got you so upset? The short clips I've seen of Sivaji and Enthiran make either look far more entertaining than anything in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (except for the Shanghai opening or the forest battle).

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Wow, he's actually bald! So he's like the Sean Connery of India now, not Joe Pesci. I thought he really had a thick head of hair!
Pretty much. Unless Joe Pesci is now bald and running around with really convincing hairpieces.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-11-10 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 12:08 AM
Banned

lol. True, I agree with you, but Sivaji is one wacky crazy entertaining film.
Which clip got you so upset? The short clips I've seen of Sivaji and Enthiran make either look far more entertaining than anything in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (except for the Shanghai opening or the forest battle).

Pretty much. Inless Joe Pesci is now bald and running around with really convincing hairpieces.
Ah shit..I just saw the 1st clip...I didn't know the others were there. I LOATH how the audio NEVER EVER really seems like it's even attempted to sound like it's actually coming from the actors. Like it's too overproduced or something. And...in most Indian films (god...why do I keep seeing their films even when I mostly know..it'll be shit?! WHY?!!) the actors aren't even the ones singing...they cast somebody else to do it. It happens WAY too much. And that's a personal pet peeve right there.

I DO like the music and production design of their films...except that...they're shitty films to me.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-11-10 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the actors aren't even the ones singing...they cast somebody else to do it. It happens WAY too much.
lol...it's because the good-looking actors can't sing and India's amazing singers look like this:

I'm not kidding.
Old 10-11-10, 01:02 AM
Banned

I'm sorry...but..when the fuck did that Indian get good looking? He is not attractive at all. The girl, oh shit yeah...that guy? No way. Maybe to Indians somehow...
Old 10-11-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sorry...but..when the fuck did that Indian get good looking? He is not attractive at all. The girl, oh shit yeah...that guy? No way. Maybe to Indians somehow...
Indian actors (and actresses) in general. I wasn't talking about that studly Joe Pesci-lookalike..

Actors like:
Pryanka Chopra

Hrithik Roshan

When Bollywood actors look like that, the singers in Bollywood are gonna be the dubbers!
Old 10-11-10, 07:40 AM

And...in most Indian films (god...why do I keep seeing their films even when I mostly know..it'll be shit?! WHY?!!) the actors aren't even the ones singing...they cast somebody else to do it. It happens WAY too much. And that's a personal pet peeve right there.
Yeah, maybe you should just stay away from them, if you don't like it, no sense in torturing yourself. The actors are never the singers and they certainly don't ever sing live. If you can't enjoy Indian cinema on its own terms, you aren't going to enjoy it at all. There are far too many tropes that are very specific to these films that most Westerners can't enjoy them without their stupid logic getting in the way.
Old 10-11-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hrithik Roshan
Wasn't he the original choice to portray Dastan in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I seem to recall his actually turning down the role and that's why it went to Jake Gyllenhaal instead.
Old 10-16-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

lol...it's because the good-looking actors can't sing and India's amazing singers look like this:

I'm not kidding.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbM6Gt0bi78?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbM6Gt0bi78?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-31-11, 02:41 PM

Got my Endhiran DVD today and the Ayngaran edition is dirty as hell. I've only been able to check on my computer, but there are specks and hairs all over the print. No idea about sound yet, but there are two discs, one with DTS audio, and the other with Dolby Digital.
Old 01-31-11, 03:25 PM
Banned

Hairs? Jesus.....lol
Old 01-31-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quite a shame. The BD of Sivaji was nigh reference quality.
Old 01-31-11, 04:33 PM
Banned

....oh shut it, Rocshemp....you and your Bollywood love....
Old 01-31-11, 04:41 PM

Quite a shame. The BD of Sivaji was nigh reference quality.
Yeah, I think the Blu-ray will fare MUCH better, but there is no Tamil Blu forthcoming. There is a Telugu one coming in the next couple of weeks.
Old 02-01-11, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's my review of the film/dvd:

Non-Indians may think it’s a bit peculiar that a chubby, bald, out-of-shape, 61 year old Joe Pesci-look-a-like is not only South India’s biggest star but has been cast in huge action films from South India. Why would movie producers not cast a young hot stud in the lead role for India’s most expensive action movie which cost around 30 million dollars? It’s because the star of The Robot (“Enthiran” in its original Tamil language), Ranjikanth, is a real-life transformer. Once he’s on screen, he doesn’t just put on his costume, wig, and make-up, he actually becomes an impressive charismatic leading man - transforming into a cinematic superstar. During his transformation, he becomes a highly entertaining, likable actor and a very believable action hero. I just watch him with a smile on my face being aware of his real-life schlubiness.

I knew I wasn’t going to be disappointed by director Shankar’s The Robot since I perceive him as the James Cameron of India, and his films have always blown me away. Although a native Indian may disagree, Indian action movie cinema is quite a few steps (or years) behind the standards of what we would expect from a Hollywood or Hong Kong action film. So whenever director Shankar makes a film, he raises the bar for special effects and action choreography in Indian films. The Robot has some truly “Holy Crap” Matrix moments, especially during the climax. The creativity (and most of the money) in the climax of this film is totally original – I don’t want to give away any of the movie’s creative scenes, but I thought I was watching a wacky Japanese action movie directed by Takashi Miike during many of the truly visually amazing action scenes. The action choreography not only involved India’s most respectable action choreographer, Peter Hein, but The Robot also involved the master – Woo Ping Yeun – the action choreographer for The Matrix trilogy, Kill Bill, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Fist of Legend, Once Upon A Time In China, and Iron Monkey. I don’t know how much of the movie he was involved in, but it showed. Even though the movie cost around 30 million dollars, Shankar didn’t totally balance out the spending. Many action scenes look like money well-spent and at the same level of the effects in a Hollywood action movie (mainly in the climax), while other scenes look like CGI from the early 2000s. For example, there are some baby scenes in this film - one scene has a real baby, another scene has a CGI baby, and in another scene, the baby is totally cartoon (well, it’s not a big deal since this one is from the 3D image of a baby in the womb of a pregnant woman, but it’s still unintentionally funny). Also, there are exoskeleton robot scenes of impressively built robots, great CGI robots, to early 2000s CGI robots, to a dude wearing a tin man suit. Some people may not like that. I personally love that combination – I see these faults as a charming characteristic of the film and a reminder of the way action movies used to be made, instead of being so perfectly clean and sterile, as well as being CGI overkill as in most action movies today.

I’ve seen my share of the few sci-fi/fantasy films that India has released, such as Mr. India, Anniyan, Krrish, Drona, Love Story 2050, Rudraksh, Kanthaswamy, Aladin, and Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic. Although some of them were good for India standards, the majority of them are not so good for the rest of the world standards when it comes to a well-written sci-fi/fantasy film. But I was totally surprised by the screenplay for this film. Even though the Robot is a mainstream bright colorful Masala film (an Indian film that mixes genres in one film, such as action, comedy, drama, romance, melodrama, and music), this movie is crammed with everything that you would want to see in a movie about a robot that gets artificial intelligence. The best characteristics of Wall-E, Terminator 1 & 2, Westworld, Blade Runner, A.I., Isaac Assimov & I Robot, Osamu Tezuka & Astro Boy, and RoboCop are in this film. The screenplay sticks to the basics of how to write an intense, interesting mainstream action movie. Keep the action moving and have no filler whatsoever. The first hour of this film feels like 10 minutes gone by. I do understand why the whole movie feels like that, because the screenplay has established conflict in every scene - conflict that leads from conflict to conflict to conflict – straight from the opening scene of the movie and all the way to the end credits. That’s how you write a movie. That’s basic quality screenwriting. If no conflict is established, you don’t care for the characters, the movie gets boring and feels long, and you just want the movie to end. The Robot is a beautifully written mainstream action sci-fi film. Remember that I just said beautifully written “mainstream” action sci-fi film. Those expecting something deep, dark, and analytical may be disappointed. What’s surprising about this film is that this film ain’t some PG-rated Bicentennial Man film – The Robot is as R-rated as it gets. There is violence in this film - bloody violence in this film - murdering of innocents galore, heads shots, heads chopped off, heads mashed, weapons galore, people trampled on, people hit by cars, massive collateral damage, hints of gang rape, hints of regular rape, and so on.

And by the way, one of the best looking actresses in the world, Aishwarya Rai, is in this film. Even if the main robot character in this film didn’t have artificial intelligence, I’m sure it would still fall in love with her. She has that power.

The Robot may not be the best science fiction movie ever made, but it’s pretty safe to say that The Robot is the best science fiction musical movie ever made.

Since the blu-ray is delayed due to Indian companies fighting for the rights, the only English-subtitled, original audio (Tamil) home video is the Ayngaran DVD. This DVD comes with two discs – one disc is the movie with DTS audio and the other disc is the movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. So if you buy this DVD, you can sell one of the discs if you like. The DVD is perfectly fine and is at the same standard of a typical Indian DVD (meaning, not as good as a Hollywood DVD). The DTS audio is excellent and the anamorphic video is perfectly fine on my 37 inch HDTV. There are many people complaining that it doesn’t look as good as a usual DVD from Ayngaran, but the image is just fine until we get a blu-ray of this film. The only people complaining about the DVD video quality are blu-ray folk, so I think they are forgetting a couple things:

1. Once you go Blu, it is hard to watch a DVD again, even a new Hollywood DVD. Even I have become a blu-ray snob, but The Robot is so entertaining, I’m not watching “the DVD”, I’m watching “the movie.”
2. Indian DVDs are not known for their video quality.

If you want to see a bad video quality of a huge Indian movie, watch the Eros DVD of Devdas – now that is a bad DVD (pixilation and banding). The video has some scratches and hairs but it’s not that distracting. The only negative about the DVD is that the Ayngaran logo pops up every other second and it's not even in the bottom right corner - it pops up practically in the middle right corner! It’s not a big deal because that’s common with Indian DVDs and once again, this DVD is a perfectly acceptable DVD to watch on a home theater until the blu-ray gets released. Maybe it’s harder to watch on a 50+ screen but I can’t comment on that. The English subtitles are typically Indian-English as well, mostly grammatically correct but with some strange translations. I would also like to add that I have no understanding of that DVD cover design. There is no point in the movie where the main character where's a helmet.

Movie: 10
DVD Video: 7.5
DVD Audio: 9
English subtitles: 8
Extras: 0

The DVD can be bought here: http://www.bhavanidvd.com/product_in...b7f2149bcde064

Last edited by toddly6666; 02-01-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

....oh shut it, Rocshemp....you and your Bollywood love....
When even Ali Larter is in Bollywood. What's not to love?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tgx0vPHtLzM?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Oh and it's a good movie.
Old 02-01-11, 02:24 PM
Banned

wow...what's the backstory on Larter being in that?

Also...I'm assuming that guy isn't really singing that song, right?
Old 02-01-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow...what's the backstory on Larter being in that?

Also...I'm assuming that guy isn't really singing that song, right?
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4sNRVUicdJA?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

She starred in the movie as a down on her luck American actress who takes a job starring in a Bollywood movie that's been in production for something like two years. They poke fun at Bollywood chliches (like when Ali Larter mentions that their movies are like 5 hours long, with lots of singing and dancing, and how no one ever kisses on screen) but embraces them as well (except the 5 hour runtime ) and even features some amusing cutaway gags and wipes whenever she's about to kiss her costar. They even mock the lip synching issues in their movies that irk you so much when the director tells ALi Larter to not worry if she forgets her lines because she can mouth whatever she wants and they'll just dub it over later.

I dunno why she made the movie but I caught it the other day during a free preview of one of the Encore channels and had a fun time with it.

I very much doubt the guy was actually singing. Ali Larter also "sings" but she's also clearly dubbed over.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TquLpziqMxE?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CJFigEVjMPc?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-01-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Some action scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBnl_krN_U
Old 08-11-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Two years and I'm still waiting for the Tamil version on BD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.