Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Easy A (2010)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Easy A (2010)

Emma Stone simply owns this film from the first reel. Taking liberties with "The Scarlet Letter" roots, the film tells the story of Olive Penderghast dealing with high school level rumor and innuendo of sexual promiscuity, and deciding to fully own such notoriety, even at the expense of friendship and reputation and self-esteem, but events go twisty and Olive finds herself in some larger scale drama stemming from lies and the cover-up of lies, but with the help of her quirky parents, Olive regains her footing, but at what costs? The script is very funny, the adult characters have a lot of fun playing with the script, and it works. It's not bust-out raunchy funny for the most part, but the movie makes you care about Olive and her situation, the pacing is pretty solid, and the casting is pretty much on-point.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 09-22-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this today. I liked it quite a bit. The cast was solid, with Emma Stone being top-notch. I enjoyed it a more than I was expecting to.
Old 09-25-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I saw it yesterday, not bad, but it's a rental. But I'm talking Netflix Instant, don't waste your disc time on it.
Old 09-25-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm just a large fan of Will Gluck's, who created the highly underrated television show The Loop, but I really enjoyed this movie. I'm honestly curious to know how much of the script was rewritten by Gluck (the dialogue feels similar to his previous efforts).

It is what it is: a ninety minute teen comedy that also has an agenda against Christians. I'm a sucker for good teen comedies and I also have an agenda against Christians. It was the ultimate win-win for me!

In the weak year of films that have been released so far, Easy A feels like a standout. Any other year? This probably would've been classified as a guilty pleasure.
Old 09-25-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Enjoyable. I admit to seeing it only because Emma Stone is a dream girl.

I liked it as much as I could like a teen comedy these days (oof, I'm getting old).
Old 10-02-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it tonight at a packed(!) house and the film played well. I thought it had clever dialogue but it wasn't unnaturally clever (a la Juno, which I loved). At parts hilarious. Mean Girls is the movie I would most compare it to. Recommended.
Old 12-18-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Really enjoyed this film. The parents of the main character were really not parents, but other than that, i liked it. Good music too. Emma Stone steals the movie. It was a bit Veronica Mars, without the mysteries. Fortunately, it didnt have a cavalier attitude towards serious issues like Juno. Amanda Bynes was wasted in a supporting role.
Old 12-18-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Really enjoyed this film. The parents of the main character were really not parents, but other than that, i liked it. Good music too. Emma Stone steals the movie. It was a bit Veronica Mars, without the mysteries. Fortunately, it didnt have a cavalier attitude towards serious issues like Juno. Amanda Bynes was wasted in a supporting role.
You mean Juno's anti-abortion stance? Yeah, fuck that. I'm happy Easy A made Christians an easy target and went with it.
Old 12-18-10, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
You mean Juno's anti-abortion stance? Yeah, fuck that. I'm happy Easy A made Christians an easy target and went with it.
That makes two of us!
Old 12-18-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Emma Stone is a hottie, even if she looks slightly extra-chromosomal, but the movie is a mess. She's great in it, but Easy A is simply struggling too hard to be all things. It wants to be satirical and verges into glib farce territory, but almost all of the dramatic moments fall entirely flat. By the end, the film is sloppy, struggling for a meaning but doesn't reach one. Didn't particularly care for it; it's not more than the sum of its parts, although I enjoyed a few individual parts quite a bit. I would like to diddle with Amanda Bynes's doodle hole.
Old 12-18-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I also didn't care for it all that much, it had its moments but it never seems at ease with itself, tried entirely too hard.

It isn't a bad movie, but it could have been much better. I enjoyed the moments with her family more than anything else in the movie, save for the quick back and forth of "Do you guys sell bibles?" "Bibles? Yeah they're in the best sellers section, next to Twilight."
Old 12-18-10, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I would like to diddle with Amanda Bynes's doodle hole.
That makes two of us!
Old 12-18-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Watched it on blu last night.
It was funny enough and worth a rental.
Stone was great and wore plenty of very skin tight outfits. and she was funny.

I didn't even realize that was bynes until the movie was almost over.

Tucci steals the show he's just a riot here and I would watch a whole movie of that guy.
Old 12-18-10, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Not anti-abortion but treating offspring like it was a used bike to be given away. The parents not being parents but acting like friends. And of course the idiotic premise that a supposedly smart girl would have sex without protection just because she felt bored.
Old 12-18-10, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I "Do you guys sell bibles?" "Bibles? Yeah they're in the best sellers section, next to Twilight."
I also liked the Huckleberry finn bit; and the clip at the end with Huck touching the black handle
Old 12-18-10, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this movie in theaters and loved it. Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci had great chemistry as the wacky couple and Emma Stone was very good. If I had to pick between her performance as Olive vs. Lindsay Lohan's performance of Kady in Mean Girls. I would go with Stone's performance.
Old 12-21-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Got it tonight via Netflix. A very funny and smartly written film. Definitely worth a rental at the very least. As everyone mentioned before, the cast is great. Especially Clarkson, Tucci and Kudrow. And, of course, Stone.
Old 12-22-10, 04:19 PM

I thought it was a very good teen comedy. Emma stone certainly carried this film, and its more akin to mean girls than Juno. I mainly enjoyed it because it stuck to the plot and focused on her character rather than introduce unnecessary sub plots. There are a myriad of cliched characters and situations, but you can tell it's done on purpose and invokes nostalgia for teen movies of the past.

Emma is adorable in the movie, and although I thought it teetered on chick flick material at times, it was certainly worth watching. I probably wont buy this on blu ray but im sure i'll watch it again some time down the road.
Old 01-07-11, 01:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally saw this tonight. I loved it! Just felt like everyone was having a ton of fun. Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson were particularly fantastic.
Old 01-07-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think i'm in love with Emma Stone. That's probably why I enjoyed the movie as much as I did.
Old 01-07-11, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I also just saw this recently On demand from Directv. Loved it. Probably one of the best teen comedies of late. Emma Stone was awesome and I also enjoyed Aly Michalka and Amanda Bynes. Good dialogue and banter with the teen characters and I thought the adult characters were solid as well.

One of the best scenes in the movie was when Olive was having fake sex with the dorky son from Cougar Town.

Also noticed that she took off a thong during that scene.
Old 01-07-11, 04:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, Emma Stone's got that ineffable something that really worked to the film's benefit.
Old 01-07-11, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's pretty hard for a chick to make me laugh, especially a younger girl like Emma Stone but there's something extremely likeable about her personality and it shows up on screen. the fact that she's hot is just a bonus. i enjoyed the film for what it was and it is certainly one of the better teen flicks in the past decade.
Old 01-07-11, 05:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yeah, Emma Stone's got that ineffable something that really worked to the film's benefit.
I dunno, I think she looks plenty effable, myself.

Old 01-07-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoyed it a lot as well, probably pick it up at some point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.