Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Day, Another Remake - The Next Three Days (2010, Haggis) w/ Crowe, Banks

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Another Day, Another Remake - The Next Three Days (2010, Haggis) w/ Crowe, Banks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Remake of the 2008 French film Anything for Her (Vincent Lindon, Diane Kruger) starring Russell Crowe, Liam Neeson and Elizabeth Banks. Directed and (I'm assuming) adapted by Paul Haggis.

Looks entertaining, good to see Banks in a semi-"big" role.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lti0vfCPZns?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lti0vfCPZns?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Here is the trailer for the French original:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4q4b_cNdBXc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4q4b_cNdBXc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Seems like they changed a lot... oh wait
Old 09-02-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Another Day, Another Remake - The Next Three Days (2010, Haggis) w/ Crowe, Banks

Looks cool.
Old 11-25-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Another Day, Another Remake - The Next Three Days (2010, Haggis) w/ Crowe, Banks

Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks star in this "prison break-out" thriller written and directed by Paul Haggis. John (Crowe) and Lara (Banks) are married, with a son. Lara is arrested for the murder of her manager, and John's world is turned upside down. After repeated legal proceedings, John has run out of options to prove Lara's innocence. Desperation sets in for John, and he plans to break Lara out from prison.

The film goes to great pains to show us how the internet is rather helpful in plotting prison break-outs, but does John have the nerve and fortitude to go through with it. The script is peppered with near misses, and plenty of obstacles for John to overcome. Crowe does a good job acting, even without dialogue, his facial expressions tell a lot about what his character is going through and wrestling with, as he goes down a path that has but a slim chance of succeeding.

The direction is competent, nothing groundbreaking, but for its running time, it's actually paced pretty well.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 02-19-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just caught this in the dollar theater. Thought it was pretty intense and gripping throughout, although the third act goes on a little too long. Interested to see the original.
Old 02-19-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm. The trailer made this look like a dreadful enterprise. But since droidguy1119 liked it, I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm more curious about the original film though.
Old 02-20-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Just caught this in the dollar theater. Thought it was pretty intense and gripping throughout, although the third act goes on a little too long. Interested to see the original.
I've seen the original and it's very good. It's pretty lean too at 96 minutes compared to the remake which is over 2 hours long. Good mix of drama and suspense.
Old 02-20-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a scene where Crowe is doing intensive internet research? Paul Haggis based it off of the research he was doing on scientology, before he finally got out.
Haggis began his investigation into the church. His inquiry, much of it conducted online, mirrored the actions of the lead character he was writing for “The Next Three Days”; the character, played by Russell Crowe, goes on the Internet to find a way to break his wife out of jail.
Old 02-20-11, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Hmm. The trailer made this look like a dreadful enterprise. But since droidguy1119 liked it, I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm more curious about the original film though.
The trailers are poor marketing, I think. Like the title of the French original suggests, this is a movie about devotion and perhaps obsession. The ads play it as an action thriller, highlighting the movie's most over-the-top looking shots, but I was more emotionally engaged by the performances, particularly Crowe, who really sells his struggle to get through the day without his wife. I don't think I've liked him in a movie this much since The Insider (but then, I never liked Gladiator all that much, so maybe that's just me).
Old 02-21-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Seriously underrated movie. Can't remember rooting so hard for a character.

Wonder how long until Haggis makes a movie about Scientology.
Old 03-03-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this movie sucked. I think the ending would have been better by
Spoiler:
leaving out the scene where it shows that she was innocent to begin with and leaving only the scene where the cop goes to find the button.

Haggis seems to think the audience needs everything spelled out to us.
Old 03-03-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Seriously underrated movie. Can't remember rooting so hard for a character.
Same here I thought it was gripping and my heart was actually racing during the last third. Elizabeth Banks almost ruined it though she should never have been cast as the wife.
Old 03-03-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I thought this movie sucked. I think the ending would have been better by
Spoiler:
leaving out the scene where it shows that she was innocent to begin with and leaving only the scene where the cop goes to find the button.

Haggis seems to think the audience needs everything spelled out to us.
That scene was still hypothetical, it was the detectives thoughts on the situation. Keep on believing what you want hah.

Movie was good until the final 3rd which was a little too over the top. Still enjoyable. I had no problem with Banks.
Old 03-12-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Just finished my Netflix rental. Really want the last two hours of my life back. 96 minutes would have been more than enough if that was what the original was like. This was too bloated. I had no problem with Banks, but she needs to stick with comedy.

In terms of the end:

Spoiler:
Are we too believe that she's innocent despite the fact that she confessed to it? The button was in the grate, but there is a chance that she might have lost it in the struggle with the woman that got killed.
Old 03-12-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just finished my Netflix rental. Really want the last two hours of my life back. 96 minutes would have been more than enough if that was what the original was like. This was too bloated. I had no problem with Banks, but she needs to stick with comedy.

In terms of the end:

Spoiler:
Are we too believe that she's innocent despite the fact that she confessed to it? The button was in the grate, but there is a chance that she might have lost it in the struggle with the woman that got killed.
Spoiler:
She never admitted to it, she was trying to get her husband to leave/forget her.
Old 03-12-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That scene was still hypothetical, it was the detectives thoughts on the situation. Keep on believing what you want hah.
I would agree if...

Spoiler:
they didn't actually show that the button was still there three years later (covered in mud on the ledge before falling into the water). Haggis showed it to tell the audience she was indeed innocent. No hypothesizing there.

Still, I really liked the movie, flaws in logic and all.
Old 03-13-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I would agree if...

Spoiler:
they didn't actually show that the button was still there three years later (covered in mud on the ledge before falling into the water). Haggis showed it to tell the audience she was indeed innocent. No hypothesizing there.

Still, I really liked the movie, flaws in logic and all.

Yeah, that kind of ruined what could have at least been an interesting twist to the whole situation.

Spoiler:
I can't help but wonder if the button was a last minute addition to try and win favor with the audience. I don't see why they would have had her confess to the killing earlier only to nullify it later. It's like they didn't want to have an ending consisting of a killer escaping and living with her family despite her wrong doing.
Old 03-13-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, that kind of ruined what could have at least been an interesting twist to the whole situation.

Spoiler:
I can't help but wonder if the button was a last minute addition to try and win favor with the audience. I don't see why they would have had her confess to the killing earlier only to nullify it later. It's like they didn't want to have an ending consisting of a killer escaping and living with her family despite her wrong doing.
Spoiler:
I agree, It seems like it a late addition insert shot due to, perhaps, test screenings.

As for her confession, I don't have a problem with that as I think that was her frustration and anger, accepting she's going to be in prison for life. Everyone else thinks she's guilty so she might as well be. Not to mention, her own son won't even look at her which tears her up. All that hostility just built up in that one scene.
Old 03-13-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Spoiler:
I agree, It seems like it a late addition insert shot due to, perhaps, test screenings.

As for her confession, I don't have a problem with that as I think that was her frustration and anger, accepting she's going to be in prison for life. Everyone else thinks she's guilty so she might as well be. Not to mention, her own son won't even look at her which tears her up. All that hostility just built up in that one scene.

Spoiler:
I wonder if in the original they have such a scene or if it's left ambiguous? Not having that bit would have given this movie a bit more of an edge and kept in line with the rest of what was going on with Crowe's character. He gets himself in over his head with a lot of situations, and if it's about obsession, freeing a wife regardless of her guilt would be fitting.
Old 11-28-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I assumed that when she "confessed" to her husband, that she just wanted to help him move on. It doesn't bother me that she turned out to be innocent, but I think it would have been a better ending to leave it ambiguous
Old 10-20-12, 11:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In terms of the end:

Spoiler:
there was so much about this movie was that so implausible that I couldn't enjoy it - it felt like it was trying to integrate scenes and tone from 'The Fugitive'. The pacing was also terrible - the first hour was sloooow. Call me dense but I didn't realize that this was a Paul Haggis movie (missed the opening credits), but goddamn, did he not replicate a line from 'Crash' into this movie - "looks like it's going to snow" is "looks like it's going to rain" - my eyes rolled in my head. The whole movie had that whole Denzel Washington movie 'John Q.' vibe where good people think they are improving a situation, ultimately making it worse off.
Old 10-21-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I did not know it was a remake. I love French films, but had never seen the original. I thought Next Three Days was awful, though.
Old 10-21-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2

Movie was good until the final 3rd which was a little too over the top. Still enjoyable. I had no problem with Banks.
I'd say its not hypothetical at all. Seems quite literal.

But uh..."keep on believing what you want hah."
Old 10-21-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish I remembered what my comment was about.

I barely remember this movie or anything that happened in it. I read my comment earlier today and couldn't figure out how it made any sense at all.