Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: So...
... I saw it and I loved it.
23.08%
... I saw it and I liked it.
30.77%
... I saw it and I hated it.
0%
... I plan on seeing it one day (DVD/BD/TV).
7.69%
... I have not seen it and would rather watch "Dance With Me" a trillion times.
34.62%
... I'll only see it if twikoff likes it.
3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

"Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: "Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

I just came back from watching it. It is fantastic! I loved every minute of it and it'll be a day one BD purchase for me!

They used the same cameras that were used for Avatar but I felt that the 3D in this movie was far better. In another thread we had discussed how 3D, even when well done, does not make a movie better. This is a movie where the use of 3D was so deeply rooted in the choreography of the dance numbers that it actually does make the movie better. This is how you sell 3D to the masses.

Yes, the plot is trite but it's so threadbare that it doesn't get in the way of all of the wonderful dance sequences.

Was there anything after the end credits? I got to watch the sequence with the guy on the chair during the end credits but the projectionist switched off the movie shortly after that sequence even though the credits were still rolling. Given that one of the ushers was complaining about how they should just let it roll to the end, I was left wondering if there was an extra dance number after the credits.
Old 08-10-10, 10:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I just came back from watching it. It is fantastic! I loved every minute of it and it'll be a day one BD purchase for me!

They used the same cameras that were used for Avatar but I felt that the 3D in this movie was far better. In another thread we had discussed how 3D, even when well done, does not make a movie better. This is a movie where the use of 3D was so deeply rooted in the choreography of the dance numbers that it actually does make the movie better. This is how you sell 3D to the masses.

Yes, the plot is trite but it's so threadbare that it doesn't get in the way of all of the wonderful dance sequences.

Was there anything after the end credits? I got to watch the sequence with the guy on the chair during the end credits but the projectionist switched off the movie shortly after that sequence even though the credits were still rolling. Given that one of the ushers was complaining about how they should just let it roll to the end, I was left wondering if there was an extra dance number after the credits.
I completely agree. I can't imagine NOT seeing this in 3D - it was very integral to the film's structure. I assume the title of the film is just 'Step Up 3' minus the 'D' on the non-3D prints.
Old 08-11-10, 02:11 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Was there anything after the end credits? I got to watch the sequence with the guy on the chair during the end credits...
Nope, that was it.
Old 08-11-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Nope, that was it.
Thanks. It's a relief to know that I didn't miss out on anything.

I'm gonna go see this again tomorrow. I really enjoyed this movie a whole lot.
Old 08-11-10, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York's intense street dancing underground comes alive in eye-popping Digital 3D in the third installment of the "Step Up" franchise as the raw, passion-fueled culture goes global. A tight-knit group of street dancers, including Luke and Natalie, team up with NYU freshman Moose, and find themselves pitted against the world's best breakdancers in a high-stakes showdown that will change their lives forever. (Touchstone Pictures)

Let's face it: By now, nobody goes to a STEP UP movie expecting plot and character development. If you do, I will personally go up to your front door and slap you in the face. The plot is so predictable that the only way you don't know what's coming is that this is the first film you've ever seen. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The sequels in this franchise never take itself too seriously. In fact, you can tell in this film that the clichéd plot was just an excuse to showcase some of the best dance sequences you will ever see in your life. The filmmakers know it's all BS. The audience knows it's all BS. You just go along with the ride.

The first film featured a highly idiotic soap opera that really didn't work for me. The sequel, however, was considerably more energetic and fun in almost every way. Jon Chu returns to the director's chair since STEP UP 2 and steps everything up (see what I did there?) on a whole new level. It has two things going for it: The crazy dance moves and 3D. And because of that, the film is totally worth watching in theaters. It's a visual feast and the songs are foot-popping fun!

Hey, you laugh now, thinking, "Does a movie like this really need to be in 3D?" Let's be honest here: Does ANY movie have to be in 3D? No, but studios make them in 3D anyway. STEP UP 3D utilizes the 3D technology in the best possible way since AVATAR. You read it right. The 3D was AH-MAZE-ING. From the opening studio logos to the end credits, your jaw will remain dropped. THIS is how you make a 3D movie. THIS is what 3D was made for. I can't believe it took a STEP UP movie to show studios out there how 3D should be utilize because this is why 3D was made in the first place. The true potential of this technology is used in the dance sequences. Wow oh wow. No mere words can describe the awesomeness of it all. More on that later. The technology is used in a gimmicky fun sense and to project a depth in many scenes. The 3D is so good that I already spent one huge paragraph writing about it.

The dance sequences are also insanely unreal. There comes a point where characters even defy gravity! How awesome is that?! And although new hip-hop moves are the main focus in the film, there are many other styles of dance that will appeal to every demographic, including a wonderful tango scene and a "Singin' in the Rain"-esquire tribute, paying homage to the classic musicals in the past in all one shot, nonetheless.

The castmembers are efficient enough, although nothing to scream about. Rick Malambri and Sharni Vinson are sweet and believable in their roles. However, Adam G. Sevani and Alyson Stoner take the cake. Sevani returns from the second film and he's just a likable actor. It's hard to hate him. Stoner returns from the first film, in which she was a little kid! Sevani and Stoner have chemistry and their scenes in the film are just really sweet. However, my favorite characters in the film are the twins, Martín and Facundo Lombard. You'll see why once you see the film. There are also some surprise cameos here that I dare won't spoil because it would ruin the fun.

So overall, it all boils down to this: Are you the person who's willing to shell out $10+ to see this film in 3D just for the dance moves? If not, don't see the film. If you're a person who wants to see a plot and some great character development, don't see the film. However, if you just want to have a good time at the movies, STEP UP 3D delivers in every way. It's a highly energetic film that is so persistent in trying to "wow" the audience with fantastic dance moves. On top of that, it's one of the very few films out there that utilizes the 3D technology so well that it should be seen in 3D. STEP UP 3D is a cinematic experience. 8/10
Old 08-12-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would never consider seeing this movie at all if it weren't for 3D. The idea of choreographing with 3D in mind makes it something worth seeing.

I'll be seeing it this weekend.
Old 08-12-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I would never consider seeing this movie at all if it weren't for 3D. The idea of choreographing with 3D in mind makes it something worth seeing.

I'll be seeing it this weekend.
You wont be disappointed. Anyone interested in shooting in 3D should take note how it was done in this film. I can't fathom watching this in 2D.
Old 08-12-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm gonna go see this again tomorrow. I really enjoyed this movie a whole lot.
I'm glad you liked it. This is why I saw it twice, two days in a row. It's an amazing film. So far, everyone that has seen it in this poll has liked it or loved it. I still want to see it for a third time in the theaters. And when it comes out on blu-ray, I hope it even comes with the headache inducing 3D-version for regular blu-ray. I don't plan to get a 3D TV, but this is the first 3D blu-ray that I would buy if I got a 3D TV.

Step Up 3D is a bit like the recent James Bond and Batman flicks. Their previous flicks (Tomorrow Never Dies, World Is Not Enough, Die Another Day, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin) were overkill cheese and just when you think a certain franchise is dead, it gets reinvented in a positive way. Step Up 3D even has more of a challenge because there's been an overkill amount of dance movies post-2001, even a spoof one (DANCE MOVIE).

And I think that STEP UP 3D is the best use of 3D as well, even in a better way than AVATAR. Either way, the best 3D movies I've seen since this craze is just AVATAR and STEP UP 3D.

Once again, the acting in this movie is no different from any other teen movie. I don't know why someone always has to mention that. It's like saying how great INCEPTION is but it's not emotional enough or it doesn't have good romance in it.

If you like dancing or dance movies, you should enjoy this. If not, then you won't like it.

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-12-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
And I think that STEP UP 3D is the best use of 3D as well, even in a better way than AVATAR. Either way, the best 3D movies I've seen since this craze is just AVATAR and STEP UP 3D.
You didn't see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D, did you? That's another movie that should be on the list.
Old 08-12-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.

I thought Step Up was garbage.

I thought Step Up 2 the Streets was alright but only notable for the climatic rain dance battle at the end.

I thought Step Up 3D was an outright blast and I only went based off the comments in this thread and the raving review of a close friend.

Out of all the films that have come out in the past half decade, if not longer, to utilize the 3D technology: Step Up 3D ranks as the one who used it the best. I'd say Chu and company outdid Cameron on his own Fusion Camera system (and word on the street is the Jackass gang have up'd him as well). Even outside of the amazing dance montages and sequences, the 3D during the plot-driven scenes is something to look at. This film is that gorgeous.

I, like Giles, also saw it in a 7.1 based theater and that was very impressive as well.

The plot, it is what it is. I would argue that it was better than the past two outings because it was more simplistic and Chu could focus more on the dance sequences, which is really why we're there to begin with. I don't know if I liked the way they tied the film to the first outing, however I did like the way they brought back some of the cast from Step Up 2 back for the film's final dance battle.

I praised my love for this on Twitter last night to get a lot of "sarcastic" remarks, but fuck the haters. In a year full of terrible films being released every weekend, I'm happy that Step Up 3D ranks as one of the most entertaining of the year.
Old 08-12-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by moviewizguy
You didn't see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D, did you? That's another movie that should be on the list.
For the movie or the 3D? As good as the story might be, I just can't stand the look of it. Of all these CGI Pixar-type films, I've probably only appreciated The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Wall-E. I didn't like Toy Story or Up that much. And I guess Coraline and Fantastic Mr. Fox (both amazing) are in a different category.

I love animated films, but I really can't stand the look of these Pixar-looking animated films even in 2D. Furthermore, as much as the 3D in animated films are amazing, I'm not impressed because I like seeing live-action more in 3D. I think it's more of a challenge to do a successful live-action 3D movie nowadays than an animated one. These CGI-animated films and their animation style are already three-dimensional looking in 2D.

And I would prefer to support live-action PG-13 to R-rated regular films in 3D anyway. I'm still waiting for that war movie/genocide-type film in 3D!
Old 08-12-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moviewizguy
I saw that in 3D, and honestly, the 3D wasn't impressive at all. Very similar to the PIXAR films that use 3D in a very minimal way which causes you to question yourself on why you paid extra for the 3D in the first place.
Old 08-12-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Wow.

I thought Step Up was garbage.

I thought Step Up 2 the Streets was alright but only notable for the climatic rain dance battle at the end.

I thought Step Up 3D was an outright blast and I only went based off the comments in this thread and the raving review of a close friend. In a year full of terrible films being released every weekend, I'm happy that Step Up 3D ranks as one of the most entertaining of the year.
No one believes me when I rank this film right up there with INCEPTION!

I rented Step It Up 2 after I saw this one and the sequel was just boring. Even the dance scenes in that film were just dull. I'm curious to see the first one just for Alyson Stoner, but I don't think I can do it because Channing Tatum is in it.

Are there any other movies in which the second sequel kills the previous two films?

I personally love Return of the Jedi and I appreciate Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, but all I can think of is STEP UP 3D absolutely killing the previous films.
Old 08-12-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will this movie work outside of the 3-D movie experience? I am not paying $12 to see it, but plan on renting it once it is released to Redbox.
Old 08-12-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I rented Step It Up 2 after I saw this one and the sequel was just boring. Even the dance scenes in that film were just dull. I'm curious to see the first one just for Alyson Stoner, but I don't think I can do it because Channing Tatum is in it.
Yeah, Step Up 2 The Streets was a total bore. All I remember was the cute girl who developed a crush on Moose after a tango. Don't get your hopes up with Alyson Stoner in Step Up. If I recall she was in a "cute little kid" role and danced maybe once or twice if at all.
Old 08-12-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
Will this movie work outside of the 3-D movie experience? I am not paying $12 to see it, but plan on renting it once it is released to Redbox.
Honestly? No.

This was a film made for 3D and you can tell that by watching the brief clip someone posted above from the Robot dance sequence.

Pay the $12 to see it in 3D and try to find a theater that's capable of 7.1 to boot.

Are there any other movies in which the second sequel kills the previous two films?
Toy Story 3's outing was better than the two that proceeded it, but the Toy Story trilogy is probably the most consistent (and strongest) trilogy ever released up to this point.

The Bourne Ultimatum was better than Identity and Supremacy, but I'd argue that the Greengrass-directed sequels run circles around Liman's initial outing.

I also think Die Hard with a Vengeance, The Matrix Revolutions, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, and Rocky III (to name a few) are second sequels that are stronger than the previous sequel, but don't come to the same level as the first.

In theory, Step Up 3D had nowhere to go but up as the franchise was already in the basement. However, that could've been proven wrong under specific circumstances.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 08-12-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I would prefer to support live-action PG-13 to R-rated regular films in 3D anyway. I'm still waiting for that war movie/genocide-type film in 3D!
Truth be told, I hope John Hyams gets the DP of Step Up 3D to collaborate with him if he is indeed going to make the next Universal SOldier movie in 3D. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Ken Seng even made the talking scenes look visually appealing in 3D.
Old 08-12-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
well, the dance choreography is amazing in this film, so it will certainly be entertaining, but better in 3D!
Old 08-12-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome video with Adam Sevani (Moose) and Alyson Stoner (Camille), co-stars of Step Up 3D:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AcJk08PiW48?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AcJk08PiW48?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-12-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome video with Adam Sevani (Moose) and Alyson Stoner (Camille), co-stars of Step Up 3D:
that was great! I really hope that Sevani and Stoner will get future movie work, or even better become a movie couple in more great dance films. They are a much more likable teen couple than the Twilight couple or the High School Musical movie couple...
Old 08-12-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that was great! I really hope that Sevani and Stoner will get future movie work, or even better become a movie couple in more great dance films. They are a much more likable teen couple than the Twilight couple or the High School Musical movie couple...
Yeah, they were very cute together. I was totally geeking out when they were together cos he was what I imagine a live action Phineas Flynn would look like and, well, Alyson Stoner is Isabella Garcia Shapiro.

Oh and here's everyones favorite robot, Madd Chadd:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH1SobG3biw?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH1SobG3biw?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>
Old 08-12-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rented Step It Up 2 after I saw this one and the sequel was just boring. Even the dance scenes in that film were just dull.
I've been a sucker for dance movies since Breakin' and trust me, no one is going into one of these for any kind of story.

I agree, Step Up 2 was horrible because the dance sequences were crap, IMO. The last number in the rain was pretty bad too.

I guess I'll take my daughter to see this next week.
Old 08-12-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jon Chu should use the cast and crew for Step Up 3D to remake/update this movie:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/INC2IdA-lJQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/INC2IdA-lJQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jd3ncfHh08?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jd3ncfHh08?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>
Old 08-13-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to see Step Up 3D again yesterday and it held up well for me. It's just such a fun movie. If 3D movies were more like this, I'll be all over getting a new 3DTV. I hope this movie does well because I'm actually hoping for another sequel.
Old 08-13-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to see Step Up 3D again yesterday and it held up well for me. It's just such a fun movie. If 3D movies were more like this, I'll be all over getting a new 3DTV. I hope this movie does well because I'm actually hoping for another sequel.
Cool, I'm thinking about seeing it for a third time.

Can you find a clip of that Asian girl (the one that looks like she's out of Doomsday) that does the hand dance for the Samurai team? I don't even know her name. But she was awesome as well..

I have now tried watching a Samsung and a Panasonic 3D tv in electronic stores. I made sure to watch at least 15 minutes to get a good impression. When I was done, my vision felt screwy and I felt a bit nausious....so I'm still not crazy about these 3DTVs...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.