Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why 3-D is already dying

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why 3-D is already dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 06:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Why 3-D is already dying

We worry that movie exhibitors’ view of consumer demand for 3D is disconnected from reality.
Too bad movie studios don't seem to understand this.

http://www.thewrap.com/node/18658
Old 08-02-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a company overseas has got a non-glasses 3D TV set going. Once that technology catches on I expect more 3D.
Old 08-02-10, 10:09 PM

^I think if 3D technology that didn't require special glasses was the standard, the 3D format would be a lot more popular. Also, if the price came down that would help as well.
Old 08-03-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The biggest problem with 3D for me is that we're still some years from being able to fully enjoy them at home too.
Old 08-03-10, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then of course theres the whole 'the pictures too dark' problem. That and the extra price has kept me away from 3D.

And really, is 3D that big a selling point? Are there people out there who go to a movie just because its in 3D?
Old 08-03-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It's tempting to be completely cynical and concur with this, but positive word of mouth is still key to a movie's performance.
Inception says hello.
Old 08-03-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I avoid 3D movies/television for one simple reason - the special glasses. Those suckers can turn a flat 2D image into a robust 3D reality. But what they don't tell you is that when your turn your head and glance around your already-3D living room, or look at the other people in that already-3D movie theatre you will see into the 4th Dimension! I've read Flatland, I have no interest in seeing the inside of people's digestive tracts.

And worse yet, do you know what happens if you look directly into the eyes of someone else who is ALSO wearing those special glasses? You'll see this:
Spoiler:

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-03-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Although I like 3D, it's time for it to die. This is why.
Old 08-03-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

3D is going to die because of its miss use on movies that werent filmed in 3d and gimmicky effects. If used correctly like James Cameron did on Avatar 3D becomes a plus. The main problem with 3d is you still need to wear those glasses. The other problem is the glasses are too small. They are made too look like Sunglasses and stylish so I always find them too small, the viewing angle. You tend to have to look up at the screen you the whole screen fits in your glasses viewing area and you tend to have to always fix the glasses from sliding down your nose.
Old 08-03-10, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a big head, at least I think so, but...all your personal issues on the glasses..I've never had. And I wear them on top of my own glasses. No issue. I dunno about stylish. Depends on where you go I guess. At most they look like those nerd glasses..you know what I mean. Thick plastic and big(ish)
Old 08-03-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I avoid 3D movies/television for one simple reason - the special glasses. Those suckers can turn a flat 2D image into a robust 3D reality. But what they don't tell you is that when your turn your head and glance around your already-3D living room, or look at the other people in that already-3D movie theatre you will see into the 4th Dimension! I've read Flatland, I have no interest in seeing the inside of people's digestive tracts.

And worse yet, do you know what happens if you look directly into the eyes of someone else who is ALSO wearing those special glasses? You'll see this:
Spoiler:

Very good. As a big fan of Marilyn McCoo (was she gorgeous on "Solid Gold" or what?), I wouldn't mind seeing her in 3-D. However, I don't know what portion of the readers here are going to get the joke.
Old 08-03-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even Avatar's 3D wasn't that great. I mean if that's the best it could do then get rid of it.
Old 08-03-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Marilyn McCoo aside (yeah, she brought teh hawt a couple of decades ago), it seems like moviemakers just slap "3D" on the title and throw some gratuitous crap at the audience that does nothing to advance the plot but is designed solely to take advantage of the "wow" factor. My 9 y/o loves it, but that's about it.

John Candy as Dr. Tongue in Evil 3D House of Pancakes

Full Video:

As someone else's .sig so aptly puts it - if you can't make a movie good, make it 3D.
Old 08-03-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
And really, is 3D that big a selling point? Are there people out there who go to a movie just because its in 3D?
No one I know goes to a movie "just because it's in 3D". But quite a few will choose the 3d presentation of a movie they already want to see, over the 2D presentation, myself included.
Old 08-03-10, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Even Avatar's 3D wasn't that great. I mean if that's the best it could do then get rid of it.
Totally agree with you. If Avatar is the measuring stick for the future of 3D cinema, I just don't believe that 3D's future is that bright. While filmmakers like to say that digital 3D is new and different, it is essentially the same thing that failed in the 1950's and the 1980's. The only difference is that it is now digital, and filmmakers simply reinvented the wheel with the current 3D technology, without making anything new, which is what cinemas really need to survive.
Old 08-03-10, 03:56 PM
Banned

Another mark against 3-D ALAFAIC is that if 3-d became the "standard for movies, then an entire gnere would be killed off, namely the two people sitting around talking and not doing anything exciting genre, such as My Dinner With Andre, and all that wiould be left would be sci fi and action shit and slapstick comedy.
Old 08-03-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadFapper
Another mark against 3-D ALAFAIC is that if 3-d became the "standard for movies, then an entire gnere would be killed off, namely the two people sitting around talking and not doing anything exciting genre, such as My Dinner With Andre, and all that wiould be left would be sci fi and action shit and slapstick comedy.
My cynical response to this is: "Hasn't this already happened?"

My more hopeful response is: "As long as it's still cheaper to make in 2D, there'll be studios willing to take a gamble that they can turn a profit with that kind of movie."
Old 08-03-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz

Spoiler:
Up up and away...

Marilyn was such a piece...
Old 08-03-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Hollywood only thinks in $$$ --
Avatar made more money than anything in the universe
+
and it was in 3D
=
All movies should be in 3D.

Once a handful of big 3D movies bomb suddenly the opposite will be true.
Except the cost of going 3D over 2D is minimal.
Old 08-03-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read this article today -
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

However, what I got from it (and this wasn't the writer's point) was that these filmmakers' statements basically amounted to: "Waa-waa-waaa! I don't like it. 3D is so much harder to do."

Since the same thing could be said about sound, color, and every advance in film making - up to and including CGI - these big name filmmakers sound like a bunch of cry babies who ought to grow up and learn something.

I think it'a bit early to say 3D is dying. Let's revisit this in a year or so.
Old 08-03-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 482 Likes on 353 Posts

I have yet to watch a movie in the new 3D system. Why? Cost & comfort. I don't think it's worth the price they charge, and I hate the stupid 3D glasses (plus I wear regular glasses to sharpen my vision when I go see movies or football games, etc, and wearing the 3D glasses over my regular glasses would be a royal pain in the ass - not to mention damaging to my regular glasses as they could get scratched, and that ain't cheap).

I just don't have any interest in 3D at this point, and I do think it's just a gimmick to try and raise prices to generate more money
Old 08-03-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
I just read this article today -
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

However, what I got from it (and this wasn't the writer's point) was that these filmmakers' statements basically amounted to: "Waa-waa-waaa! I don't like it. 3D is so much harder to do."

Since the same thing could be said about sound, color, and every advance in film making - up to and including CGI - these big name filmmakers sound like a bunch of cry babies who ought to grow up and learn something.

I think it'a bit early to say 3D is dying. Let's revisit this in a year or so.
3D, like CGI, doesn't enhance storytelling in anyway.
Old 08-03-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
3D, like CGI, doesn't enhance storytelling in anyway.
I'll agree that neither is a substitute for storytelling, but I patently disagree that CGI hasn't enhanced storytelling. The whole reason that comic books have been mined for movies in the last decade is that CGI has finally enabled those stories to be told in a convincing manner. Take away the CGI, and the same story becomes laughable instead of exciting.
Old 08-03-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'll agree that neither is a substitute for storytelling, but I patently disagree that CGI hasn't enhanced storytelling. The whole reason that comic books have been mined for movies in the last decade is that CGI has finally enabled those stories to be told in a convincing manner. Take away the CGI, and the same story becomes laughable instead of exciting.
Exactly. Adding sound, color and everything else to movies only made them better. 3-D just makes them darker, out of focus and harder to see.
Old 08-04-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
Exactly. Adding sound, color and everything else to movies only made them better. 3-D just makes them darker, out of focus and harder to see.
Color is debatable. I don't think Casablanca would have been a better film had it been shot in color, but of course Lawrence of Arabia would have been blunted had it been presented in black and white. But by and large, I think storytellers have always found a way to make use of technology that suits their work.

Consider, for a moment, IMAX. We saw some segments of The Dark Knight shot that way. I know fans wish they'd used it more, but I though its sparing application was part of why it was so effective. I don't think we needed to see, for instance, the dinner scene where Bruce Wayne vets Harvey Dent. That technology doesn't suit every story, or even every part of the stories it does suit.

As the economics of scale permits more use of IMAX, I'm sure someone will feel the need to shoot whole movies that way; the cinematographer for the next Batman movie has apparently expressed an interest in doing just that. I think it would detract from the artistic value of using the technology, but I'm not the artist. Maybe someone will have a story to tell that calls for that scale. I certainly wouldn't have minded if David Lean had been able to shoot Lawrence that way...but I don't think it would have improved Casablanca.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.