Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixar style animated films for the Superheroe genre?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pixar style animated films for the Superheroe genre?

Old 07-27-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Pixar or CGI style animated films for the Superheroe genre?

With the recently released Batman:Under the Red Hood; I've been wondering on how animated theatrical films for Superman/Xmen/Avengers etc would do, with more sophisticated CGI/animation.
Thoughts?

EDIT: I think I was not clear enough. Yes, Batman: Under the Red Hood would not survive theatrically; but what about a bigger budget, (much) better animated version of Batman: Under the Red Hood ?

Eg., see this movie clip posted by Hokeyboy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43GIgDHOTFY
New URL: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...niverse/702050

Last edited by wearetheborg; 07-29-10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Re: Pixar style animated films for the Superheroe genre?

Put it this way: an animated Star Wars movie barely broke $30 million. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm also stiffed in 1992, and it was actually *GOOD*.

I think big-budget original properties are the way to go. INCREDIBLES, main example. The upcoming MEGAMIND will also probably make a mint.
Old 07-27-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then again, if it came out anywhere as remotely cool as this DCU Online trailer? I'm ALL in!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/43GIgDHOTFY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/43GIgDHOTFY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-27-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
With the recently released Batman:Under the Red Hood; I've been wondering on how animated theatrical films for Superman/Xmen/Avengers etc would do, with more sophisticated animation.
Thoughts?
I think that any kind of Superhero movie done by Pixar would do very well commercialy (and probably critically). After the Incredibles, I thought it would be interesting to see what they could do with the Fantastic Four.

I figure it's possible too, now that Disney owns both Pixar & Marvel.
Old 07-27-10, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Eh, I'm not sure I'd like to see Pixar get mixed up in anything that isn't an original property or idea. Seems like there would be too many cooks in the kitchen or interference from the other parties.

Pretty much this is based on the fact they are doing PHENOMENAL work right now and it's all very interesting and varied. When/If they start to get stale, I may change my tune.

Not saying they couldn't do it, just they shouldn't. IMHO, of course.
Old 07-27-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
^ Eh, I'm not sure I'd like to see Pixar get mixed up in anything that isn't an original property or idea. Seems like there would be too many cooks in the kitchen or interference from the other parties.

Pretty much this is based on the fact they are doing PHENOMENAL work right now and it's all very interesting and varied. When/If they start to get stale, I may change my tune.

+1
Old 07-27-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I do agree to an extent. The thing is, I thought with the fact that all they have on their plate currently is sequels, it could be a nice change of pace.

Granted, if the upcoming sequels maintain the quality of Toy Story 3, I agree they should focus more on what they have going now.
Old 07-27-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Check out HIGHLANDER: SEARCH FOR VENGEANCE and BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHT. I wish they'd been released theatrically. But then, I felt that THE INCREDIBLES should have been done in WATCHMEN-style comic book-resembling 2-D animation. The opening segment of INCREDIBLES was the only part I liked.
Old 07-27-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Then again, if it came out anywhere as remotely cool as this DCU Online trailer? I'm ALL in!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/43GIgDHOTFY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/43GIgDHOTFY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
I couldn't help but to stare at Wonder Woman's ass. They made her with a nice 'fatty' I was Superman I be railing that 24/7
Old 07-27-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I've never been a fan of the DC animation style they've been using for the last decade+. Something like this, on the other hand, would be freakin' awesome!
Old 07-27-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They would most definitely result in box office failures. There's a stigma, at least shared by people I know, that if they are going to pay to see a film in the cinema, on the big screen, they don't want to watch a cartoon. Animated adaptations of Superhero films are essentially only purchased by fans of the comics and/or kids. The films usually find some kind of success on Blu Ray/DVD, but I seriously doubt a movie like Batman: Under the Red Hood would survive theatrically.
Old 07-27-10, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
The films usually find some kind of success on Blu Ray/DVD, but I seriously doubt a movie like Batman: Under the Red Hood would survive theatrically.
I think I was not clear enough. Yes, Batman: Under the Red Hood would not survive theatrically; but what about a bigger budget, (much) better animated version of Batman: Under the Red Hood ?
Old 07-27-10, 06:56 PM

Dam!!
That would be one fine movie!!
I think it should be doable with current animation technology.
Old 07-27-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was actually pretty awesome.
Old 07-27-10, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If say...Pixar did an obscure Marvel group or character like..Power Pack....it'd get money cuz it's unknown.
Old 07-28-10, 04:55 AM

Spike voices badass Luthor pretty darn well!
Old 07-28-10, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with this completely. Pixar stands out for going against the grain with their unique and original stories, I would hate to seem them stuck with that type of source material. Not to mention, they already gave us their interpretation of the superhero genre with The Incredibles.
Old 07-28-10, 08:25 AM

OK, maybe not Pixar style, how about "Avatar" style?
Old 07-28-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the closest we will get to a CGI Marvel movie would be Tinkerbell style (ie Disney DTV CGI) With Disney owning Marvel it's only a matter of time
Old 07-28-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Batman Under the Red Hood was fantastic. Best feature that DC animation has ever produced.
Old 07-28-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I could see a 3D Animated super hero film being very successful. 3D animated films are still all the rage.
Old 07-28-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Batman Under the Red Hood was fantastic. Best feature that DC animation has ever produced.
Are you aware of this threads subject?
Old 07-28-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'm back and forth on whether or not this or Wonder Woman is their best release, but both are top notch.
Old 07-28-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome. I wish I had a PS3 to play it.
Old 07-28-10, 12:20 PM

Yesterday it had ~400 views. Today it has 18,000+ views

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.