Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got fat?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got fat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got fat?

Calista Flockhart
Old 07-13-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Kirstie Alley, and not because she got fat (I don't respect actors less simply because they gain weight). No, for Alley it was the way she wouldn't shut up about it, with the publicity, the TV show, the commercials, etc.

Old 07-13-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Oh, I don't think it's too confusing.
Old 07-13-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixie Song
On a side note, fat people are just such easy targets. You can't immediately tell if someone might be hooked on drugs or grambling, a bad parent or binge drinker, or have massive debt from compulsive shopping. Overeating is one of those vices you can't really hide from other people. I'm sure most of us have flaws and vices we wouldn't want others to know about.
Excellent point, qft.
Old 07-13-10, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Spam, bro..

click on their name and see what links they've provided.
Old 07-13-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I'll wait 20 years, but that'll happen, too. (the weight gain, not my boffing Jolie)
Not with THAT attitude...
Old 07-13-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Every single person the OP listed was an older male.
Baldwin, Kilmer, and Brando were all studly leading men, that's why it was shocking how much they gained.

Look at Eastwood, Redford, Gere, Newman (until his death), Charlie Sheen, Stallone, Arnold, Bruce Willis, Kurt Russell - all old and still looking good. It's only Willis and sometimes Gere who still get some good action movie roles.

If Clint Eastwood blew up into a human ball, I bet many people would be seriously disturbed because his good looks are just as iconic as his acting and his presence.

It's also believable for Eastwood to still be in action movies (because he's in good shape) rather than seeing Alec Baldwin in a new action movie (which he hasn't been in). Could anyone imagine fat Alec Baldwin in Hunt for Red October or roof hopping in Heaven's Prisoners?

Think about Seagal's fat action movies (his straight to video career basically). When he kicks ass now, it's funny. When he kicked ass when he was younger, it was awesome.

The only respectable fat action hero I can think of is Sammo Hung, but he was always fat. It's more shocking when a well-known thin star gains weight.

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-13-10 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 09:09 AM
Banned

When Seagal kicked ass it was always funny. they just can't film a good fight scene using Seagal. Again...I'm sure he can kick my ass but they're not amazing fight scenes. Also...Sammo Hung is amazing. The things he did in the 80s no big guy should be able to do that but damn him and his hard training as one of 7 Little Forturnes. (Yuen Baio is soooooo underrated)

I can't remember of any good action role for Gere. And No offense but Russell and Arnold have let themselves go at times. last time I saw Arnold without a shirt..he had a belly. Ditto for Russell (I'm still pissed that he didn't take a role in The Expendables C'MON MAN!!!). Though he got fit as fuck for Deathproof....man...I loved him in that.
Old 07-13-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
When Seagal kicked ass it was always funny. they just can't film a good fight scene using Seagal.
Does he still run (like a woman) in his newer movies? It just seems like the bad guys walk up to him and he slaps the shit out of them (which is awesome).

I'm so excited for Seagal's fight scene in Machete - it's gonna be awesome!
Old 07-13-10, 09:28 AM
Banned

I've yet to see his "modern" stuff, except for one scene where he walks through a crowd in a bar..it was some interesting editing there...lol

I AM excited to see him in Machete though. i just...love Machete.
Old 07-13-10, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by toddly6666
yes, I would...

and I have lost some respect with my brother who went from buff to obese. I was over 220 pounds and I lost respect for myself, so I just lost over 30 pounds and I feel a lot better. Why would you not lose respect for someone that hurts themselves? ...Why would I respect someone that doesn't take care of their health?
How consistent are you? Following your logic, you must also have no respect for anyone who smokes. No respect for anyone who drinks. No respect for anyone who participates in dangerous activities of any kind - All sports, driving a car, Being in the military, being a policeman, being a fireman, working in the construction field, etc.

I'm not a "respect a person for the way they are for every type of scenario" person.
So the concept of unconditional love.... Not so much? Guess you're not a christian.

I don't understand America's respect of gluttony.
And what's with everyone having a cel phone?
Old 07-13-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumbest fucking thread in the history of this forum. And that's saying something.
Old 07-13-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixie Song
Both of my older siblings were the type of guys who could eat everything and anything without gaining a pound. Now that they're both in their 40's, they're finding it a lot harder to keep the weight off. They had terrible eating and exercise habits in the past, yet they were very trim. Why give them credit for maintaining those physiques when they weren't really doing anything to achieve them?
It sounds like you're describing what I was saying, with a little softer edge to it. Certainly it would be difficult to change if good habits weren't formed earlier in life... I understand that. Yes, maybe some are naturally given a higher metabolism, but I don't believe it magicallly changes the equation of cals in vs cals out.

I work in software/games, so I see a lot of unhealthy folks and eating habits throughout the day. I walk past a snackbar a dozen times a day with literally nothing on it that's healthy. My carpool buddy has ballooned over the last five yrs... he watches hrs of tv with his wife every night, eats out all the time, and gets little sleep due to starting his freelance work at 11 or 12 at night. Is that the natural part of getting older or just making bad choices?
Old 07-13-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Dumbest fucking thread in the history of this forum. And that's saying something.
Old 07-13-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
How consistent are you? Following your logic, you must also have no respect for anyone who smokes. No respect for anyone who drinks. No respect for anyone who participates in dangerous activities of any kind - All sports, driving a car, Being in the military, being a policeman, being a fireman, working in the construction field, etc.

So the concept of unconditional love.... Not so much? Guess you're not a christian.

And what's with everyone having a cel phone?
My logic and my personal opinion about what I think about smokers and obesity is off-topic. And no i'm not christian. I already explained why i'm against obesity. Want me to explain it again? Family member gets fat, has kids, gets health problems relating to overreating, doctor tells fattie lose weight or else die young, kids will not see parent grow old if no change is made. Choosing to stuff one's fat face and hurting body is fucked up when it affects others, such as family/friends. Yeah, i'm gonna stand around and do nothing and let someone close to me die because "let's love people who they are even when they finish off a bucket of ice cream and a whole salami. Let's accept that. Let's ignore advise on ways to feel better and cure oneself! Let's just keep on watching how fat one can get till the shit hits the fan! How entertaining! How cute! How loving! So christain! So humantarian! So nonjudgmental!" This is not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is "who do you have trouble watching now that this actor got fat?"

CreamyGoodness, would you rather watch beautiful people fuck or would you rather watch obese (as in seriously fat, not chubby or shapely) people fuck? And don't give me the dishonest answer of "I don't need to watch anyone fuck." Just answer the very simple question for what it is and you don't have to explain more details...The thread may be moronic, but this is the internet - nothing new! Every other thread has someone saying "stupidest thread ever".

And i'm still waiting for honest answers from William Fuld, rotinmyskull, deadman31, and Double Oh 7. The act of silence on this question means hypocrisy on their parts.

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-13-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 766 Likes on 396 Posts

You know, it's really easy to diss fat people. It's just like straight people dissing gays. You really don't know what you're talking about, but there you are, YOU never got fat or wanted to hook up with your own sex, so those other people must just have no WILLPOWER! If it makes you feel better about yourself to judge other people, that makes you no different than 98 percent of the human race. Just don't get all defensive when shenanigans are called. And get back to us in 40 years, when it's highly unlikely that you will have abs of steel and whipcord limbs.
Old 07-13-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
This and I feel just as dumb for coming in here too.
Old 07-13-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
This and I feel just as dumb for coming in here too.
I know I am dumber for answering in here.
Old 07-13-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I know I am dumber for answering in here.
Oh yeah, that too. We both better get out before our IQ drops so much we forget how to type.
Old 07-13-10, 01:35 PM
Banned

It's the internet you don't need to know how to type correctly....
Old 07-13-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana
You know, it's really easy to diss fat people. It's just like straight people dissing gays.
no it's not. Dissing gays is the same as dissing blacks, jews, women, handicapped, etc...

Fatness is the same level as plastic surgery.
Skinny is the same level as plastic surgery.

For example,
"Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got plastic surgery"?
"Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got really skinny"?

No one would get upset with those threads.
Old 07-13-10, 01:56 PM
Banned

...damn Lemmy.

Like I said...respect the work they do, not what they look like.
Old 07-13-10, 02:09 PM
Banned

Sooooo....is she....into 23 yr. old Mexican Film Majors who are friends w/ Mexican Directors and Kevin Smith?

JK...JK....good job, Lemmy.

Seriously: My mind can't wrap around the OP's logic about it. No offense but I was pretty big before I stared working out, hell if you guys remember when I met Guillermo Arriaga I posted a pic of me. JESUS...I didn't think I was big but damn. 240lbs. Fuck! Anyway aside from the weight, I was in tip top shape. Doctors never have found any health issues w/ me besides that I was a big guy. I'm at 190ish now. So yay me.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-13-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 677 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Oh, and if any of you have wondered about my daughter (I've mentioned her here many times), I tried to correct the mistakes that I felt my parents (and the rest of the world) made with me, and she is a star pupil, a highly-regarded athlete, and a social butterfly. I think I got it right.

Oh...and she's quite slim.

Wow. She's cute, Lemmy. If anyone tells her any different, kick them in the nuts and force feed them a barrel of lard.
Old 07-13-10, 02:20 PM
Banned

Don't tell her you posted her pic online though. Might..weird her out. It'd weird me out. lol.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.