DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got fat? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/576385-name-actors-you-lost-some-respect-once-they-got-fat.html)

toddly6666 07-12-10 10:08 AM

Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got fat?

Laurence Fishburne - after watching Predators, it's really sad that he lost that physique he worked hard for in the Matrix flicks.

Marlon Brando - I think it was Don Juan De Marco where he started to transform.

Val Kilmer - He was fine in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but why did he fatten himself up after?

Steaven Seagal - come on, you are a martial arts buddhist. Aren't you supposed to have some sense of control?

Alec Baldwin - I just can't watch him fat. Daniel was supposed to be the fat Baldwin, not Alec!

Any others?

Indy Jones Fan 07-12-10 10:41 AM

Re: Name the actors you lost some respect for once they got fat?

Brendan Fraser. He went from his George Of The Jungle physique to what he is now.

Drexl 07-12-10 10:46 AM

Kirstie Alley, and not because she got fat (I don't respect actors less simply because they gain weight). No, for Alley it was the way she wouldn't shut up about it, with the publicity, the TV show, the commercials, etc.

toddly6666 07-12-10 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10260788)
Shit, dude, people age! And nearly all of time, with age, comes decreased activity, and with decreased activity, comes more pounds.

These are all popular actors in which millions of people around the world pay to see their films - I don't know why they would do that to their fans. People age yes, but the only way to gain massive amounts of weight is to overeat. The actors I listed are freaking fat due to overeating. Not sure about Marlon Brando during his time, but I bet Seagal, Kilmer, Fishburne, Baldwin have a very active life and aren't just sitting at home on their couches. Even if one sits on their ass and eats healthy and not overreating, you'll be regular weight. The actors I listed had to work hard at eating to get to that size!

The actors that lose tons of weight, I gain even more respect for. I can't wait to see a new movie with John Goodman, Jennifer Hudson, Seth Rogan.

I am still waiting for the day when Jonah Hill loses his extra weight, buffs up, and gets cast in an action hero role!

jeffkjoe 07-12-10 11:14 AM

Dan Aykroyd. His Jimmy Carter is literally a stretch for him now.

The only SNL'er who could've been a Python, according to Eric Idle.

William Fuld 07-12-10 11:15 AM

This place gets dumber by the day.

Coral 07-12-10 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10260788)
And if, like Seagal, you don't work out as much (or do fewer 'roids, LOL), you get chunkier.

While Seagal had definitely gained weight, he was never really looked like he was in good shape. He always had a bit of a gut and certainly didn't have any real muscle.

I cant say I've lost respect for them, but I have to admit that Im stunned at how different Alec Baldwin looks with the extra weight and how quickly he gained it. I think it was within a 5 year span he looked like he aged 10-15 years.

toddly6666 07-12-10 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe (Post 10260845)
Dan Aykroyd. His Jimmy Carter is literally a stretch for him now.

The only SNL'er who could've been a Python, according to Eric Idle.

yeah, I was upset when he fattened up.

I also have trouble watching Travolta and Hanks too. They look like they are starting to chunk up gradually.

jeffkjoe 07-12-10 11:33 AM

Hey, when they can start affording personal chefs, that's when it all goes to hell.

ScissorPuppy 07-12-10 11:33 AM

John Goodman lost weight? If so good for him. Last I saw him on TV he was being interviewed on Ellen and he was huge, pouring sweat during a sit down.
Felt really bad for the guy.

toddly6666 07-12-10 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy (Post 10260870)
John Goodman lost weight? If so good for him. Last I saw him on TV he was being interviewed on Ellen and he was huge, pouring sweat during a sit down.
Felt really bad for the guy.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2a9o5qh.jpg

Buttmunker 07-12-10 11:46 AM

Tom Cruise did not get fat, but lost respect for him anyway.

Orson Wells did get fat, and he got even better!

So who's to say?

Giles 07-12-10 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by William Fuld (Post 10260849)

yup

MrSmearkase 07-12-10 11:59 AM

I had read somewhere that Seagal gained weight due to a reaction to medications he was taking for an injury, but I can't seem to find anything about it anymore...

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10260794)
Kirstie Alley, and not because she got fat (I don't respect actors less simply because they gain weight). No, for Alley it was the way she wouldn't shut up about it, with the publicity, the TV show, the commercials, etc.

100% agree, verbatim

Anubis2005X 07-12-10 12:02 PM

I'd say weight gain is more about taking in too many calories than it is eating a lot more food than normally. For example, if you eat tons of candy and such, those calories are gonna rack up fast...

stingermck 07-12-10 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10260906)
I had read somewhere that Seagal gained weight due to a reaction to medications he was taking for an injury, but I can't seem to find anything about it anymore...

Yeah her hurt his knee filming Exit Wounds, and had trouble working out after that. Also why he started using stunt doubles for a while.

Kilmer gained a lot of weight for Alexander, and had trouble loosing it afterwards.

Ash Ketchum 07-12-10 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10260737)

Marlon Brando - I think it was Don Juan De Marco where he started to transform.

Brando was noticeably fat as far back as APOCALYPSE NOW (1979). He was starting to look big in MISSOURI BREAKS (1976).

Robert Mitchum started to gain weight in the mid-70s. I remember seeing AMSTERDAM KILL (1978) at a neighborhood theater and in one shot, his belly is quite obvious and a kid in the audience yelled out, "Damn, he's fat!" And no, he didn't mean, "He's phat!" (Mitchum's "phat" days were around the time of his marijuana bust some 30 years earlier.)

Double_Oh_7 07-12-10 12:34 PM

How does gaining weight affect one's talent? Or is this just a "look how fat he/she got" thread?

d2cheer 07-12-10 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld (Post 10260849)

Thank you.

At least some here anyway.

As to the original posters question None. Are you going to lose respect for your wife is she gets fat?

riotinmyskull 07-12-10 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by william fuld (Post 10260849)
this place gets dumber by the day.

+1

Solid Snake 07-12-10 12:47 PM

wtf...I made the comment on the Predators thread that it looked weird that Fishburne looked bigger but it wasn't his size that made me not like the character. It was the character itself.

Respect? Do you know these people personally? Respect what they do. Not what they look like. Otherwise me and my huge appreciation (and quirky appeal to her "beauty") for Tilda Swinton would not exist. Granted..she's not big...but a good example.

toddly6666 07-12-10 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 10260958)
Are you going to lose respect for your wife is she gets fat?

yes, I would...

and I have lost some respect with my brother who went from buff to obese. I was over 220 pounds and I lost respect for myself, so I just lost over 30 pounds and I feel a lot better. Why would you not lose respect for someone that hurts themselves? Why would I say, "oh, it's okay to be fat especially when it's giving you all these health problems," especially when many of these health problems will go away once you lose weight...Why would I respect someone that doesn't take care of their health? I'm not a "respect a person for the way they are for every type of scenario" person. I certainly can respect a Republican, but when it comes to obeseness and smokers, that's when I am honestly disgusted...if the obesity is unrelated to food (the rare cases), that's another story. But the problem in America's obeseness is poor diet, eating the wrong foods, and eating the wrong food combinations.

I don't understand America's respect of gluttony.

Solid Snake 07-12-10 01:01 PM

See that's different. You know them personally.

You don't know these people, I think. Your belief on that is really weak. You're not going to change them. I highly doubt you'll meet them and tell them what you think of them. What's the point?

toddly6666 07-12-10 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10261016)
See that's different. You know them personally.

You don't know these people, I think. Your belief on that is really weak. You're not going to change them. I highly doubt you'll meet them and tell them what you think of them. What's the point?

The main thing is that I have trouble watching their fat movies, especially being aware that they were in good shape in the past.

Meglos 07-12-10 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10260826)
S'funny you mentioned her. She was always on my "to do" list ( ;) ), and that goes for her now, too, weight be damned (doggy-style is everyones' friend, LOL)...but I'd have to give her a couple boxes of Twinkies or something to keep her from talking while I did the deed.

Sweet Jebus, I thought I was the only one...