Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Can someone direct me to where there is a discussion of Inception?
You need to look in the Other forum.
Old 01-21-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just finished watching it and it was OK

i may not like gone with the wind or star wars that much, but they have a lot of re watch value. this one you may want to watch one or two more times to catch a few things, but otherwise the only surprise was that the team member who they lost on the mission at the start of the movie didn't pop up in Fisher's dreams as the guy who trained him
Old 01-21-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

That was a surprise?
Old 01-21-11, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That was a surprise?
At the showing I saw, the entire audience gasped in astonishment and shock.
Old 01-21-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shocked Cobb killed his wife in his dreams and decided to live out in his dreams only with his kids and father in law. No younger model as a replacement
Old 01-21-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-30-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And now back to Inception:

Finally caught up with this last night. I pretty much agree with Suprmallet on this one. Great visuals, complex story, no heart. I don't think Nolan's ever been able to muster up even some misty-eyedness from me, and it's really not that hard to do. With two great actors like Cotillard and DiCaprio, there should have been at least one truly emotional scene to make me care about how either one ends up. But alas.

In any event, the ending is so clear cut, I cannot see how anyone can possibly misinterpret it (it's probably been covered in the thread already, but I've only read through half of it).
Spoiler:
The ending is obviously a dream. Saito sent Cobb further into limbo. Here's why...every time we see Cobb recalling the last moment of seeing his kids, they're in a certain position, wearing certain clothes. And at the very end of the movie, we see him finally reunited with his kids and they are in the EXACT same position, wearing the EXACT same clothes. Unless Nolan is suddenly introducing a supernatural ESP aspect into the movie that has never been alluded to before, there is no rational explanation for how this can be other than the fact that it is all in Cobb's mind. None. Or am I missing something?
Old 01-30-11, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid

Finally caught up with this last night. I pretty much agree with Suprmallet on this one. Great visuals, complex story, no heart. I don't think Nolan's ever been able to muster up even some misty-eyedness from me, and it's really not that hard to do. With two great actors like Cotillard and DiCaprio, there should have been at least one truly emotional scene to make me care about how either one ends up. But alas.

In any event, the ending is so clear cut, I cannot see how anyone can possibly misinterpret it (it's probably been covered in the thread already, but I've only read through half of it).
Spoiler:
The ending is obviously a dream. Saito sent Cobb further into limbo. Here's why...every time we see Cobb recalling the last moment of seeing his kids, they're in a certain position, wearing certain clothes. And at the very end of the movie, we see him finally reunited with his kids and they are in the EXACT same position, wearing the EXACT same clothes. Unless Nolan is suddenly introducing a supernatural ESP aspect into the movie that has never been alluded to before, there is no rational explanation for how this can be other than the fact that it is all in Cobb's mind. None. Or am I missing something?
I am going to disagree with this and your spoiler too. You are overthinking wayyy too much. No wonder you and your pal Suprmallet didn't enjoy it. Good Lord people it is a freaking movie that doesn't require THIS much thinking. Just enjoy the movie for what it is and what was seen on screen.
Old 01-30-11, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
All right! My kind'a guy. Welcome to the board, Strevlac! (Which is Calverts backwards.)
I'm going to assume this is not sarcasm (even though it probably is) and say thanks! Glad to be here. And to the spottedfeather dude, I'm glad there is at least one person out there other than me who "gets it".

I still can't believe Roger Ebert gave this shit 4 stars. Everyone rags on him for giving Ghosts of Mars 3 stars, but I get that. It's a b movie, knows it's a b movie, and in those terms I guess 3 stars is about right. But Inception? 4 stars? No.

Last edited by Strevlac; 01-30-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 05:39 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by bootsy
I am going to disagree with this and your spoiler too. You are overthinking wayyy too much. No wonder you and your pal Suprmallet didn't enjoy it. Good Lord people it is a freaking movie that doesn't require THIS much thinking. Just enjoy the movie for what it is and what was seen on screen.
Agreed, it's not that complicated a film and while I enjoyed it it's seems to me pretty straight forward with a lame attempted twist at the end.
Old 01-30-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I'm going to assume this is not sarcasm (even though it's probably not) and say thanks! Glad to be here. And to the spottedfeather dude, I'm glad there is at least one person out there other than me who "gets it".

I still can't believe Roger Ebert gave this shit 4 stars. Everyone rags on him for giving Ghosts of Mars 3 stars, but I get that. It's a b movie, knows it's a b movie, and in those terms I guess 3 stars is about right. But Inception? 4 stars? No.
He generally rates on how entertained he was. And Inception fits that bill just fine.

Spoiler:
Yeah there is one thing you're missing on that
Spoiler:
during every dream sequence, including after he "lets his wife go." (since the beginning of the movie occurs just before the end), Cobb has his wedding ring on, in the reality sequences he doesn't. The closing sequence has no ring. Sort of confirms it's reality. Plus the top buckles a little, the credits just kick in seeming just prior to it falling.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-30-11 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah there is one thing you're missing on that
Spoiler:
during every dream sequence, including after he "lets his wife go." (since the beginning of the movie occurs just before the end), Cobb has his wedding ring on, in the reality sequences he doesn't. The closing sequence has no ring. Sort of confirms it's reality. Plus the top buckles a little, the credits just kick in seeming just prior to it falling.
Spoiler:
That still doesn't explain how his kids are in the same position, with the same hair length, in the same clothes, etc. It's just not possible for that to happen in reality.
Old 01-30-11, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh for the love of christ people. The man got what he'd always dream of getting back...his kids. He got them..he made his dream into a reality via Saito's agreement. It's real. The top shakes a bit cut to black...we all know it's real. BUT...we want to see it fall..that's the entertainment/twist aspect..of the ending.

It's a fucking straight as shit movie w/ some cool shit going on..seriously...it's not fucking 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 01-30-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
oh for the love of christ people. The man got what he'd always dream of getting back...his kids. He got them..he made his dream into a reality via Saito's agreement. It's real. The top shakes a bit cut to black...we all know it's real. BUT...we want to see it fall..that's the entertainment/twist aspect..of the ending.

It's a fucking straight as shit movie w/ some cool shit going on..seriously...it's not fucking 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Agreed. It's very straight-forward.
Old 01-30-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

A differing opinion on the ending is not a misinterpretation. Nolan deliberately left the final shot open-ended to leave room for both interpretations.

Spoiler:
A counter to your argument:
Spoiler:
First off, the film used two different sets of actors for the kids, to portray them at different ages: the age Cobb remembers them at, and the age they are when he returns home at the end. The kids look similar, and we don't see the younger versions that well, but they are meant to have aged. This article has a pic of the two actresses that played the girl:
http://www.overthinkingit.com/2010/0...on-filmmaking/

In regards to the clothes, the costume designer has said in an interview that while they look similar, the clothes the kids wear in the final scene are in fact different:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-M...ved-19931.html
Old 01-30-11, 07:27 PM
Banned

Solid Snake letting out the venom. Nice.
Old 01-30-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I not only thought the end was a dream, but that the whole thing was already in his dreams, and that his team was there to play the inception on him(which explains ellen pages character/motivation), so all of the heist was just an elaborate maze... if you think about it, they kind of just make up the rules as they go along which is very dream-like. I get lost in action-style plots all the time in my dreams that go pretty deep
Old 01-30-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's just ridiculous. It's obviously an ambiguous ending, otherwise he would have shown the top tumble. It's taking the easy way out to just declare that it ends in the way that makes you feel better.
Old 01-30-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best post of 2011!

This is an awesome A+ movie but it has the same amount of interpretation as someone analyzing an episode of Phineas & Ferb.
Old 01-30-11, 09:35 PM
Banned

That's just ridiculous. It's obviously an ambiguous ending, otherwise he would have shown the top tumble. It's taking the easy way out to just declare that it ends in the way that makes you feel better.
What's more compelling? A top toppling over or not toppling over....OR seeing that same top kind of wobble SLIGHTLY but slightly enough to get your attention and then cut to black! Which leads you and millions of moviegoers GROANING out of enjoyment (or whatever you felt at time) cuz you wanted to see if it was or not?

EVEN THOUGH...when you spun that bitch in the dream world..it never ever wobbled...it strongly stationed in it's spin. That bitch wobbled...which garnered EVERYONE'S attention and almost gave you the answer to that visual but then it goes to black.

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Best post of 2011!

This is an awesome A+ movie but it has the same amount of interpretation as someone analyzing an episode of Phineas & Ferb.
I'm serious...no offense to Nolan, cuz I love his work..but....NONE of his films (well maybe Following...I own it and got bored by it VERY quickly..but I was tired...so maybe that's why) has this great level of depth that keeps you thinking. All his films from Insomnia onward...are easy to follow w/ cool stories that are directed by a rapidly growing filmmaker but the answer is always given to you in a good fashion. Inception would be the same fucking way...but he cuts it to black..WHY?! Cuz that's a lot more interesting than giving you the answer...EVEN THOUGH...the film has NEVER EVER hinted at anything else but it's straight forward nature up until that last 20 secs or so.

All this...in Mombasa the walls are closing in, and all this weird bs crap..is false. The film isn't hiding anything from you. You want it to hide soemthing from you maybe cuz it's a film that talks about dreams and dreams are things where shit can be a bit off. So in our minds...things that MAY look off in a real world sense...only allows you to fool yourself.

EX:Hell I've been in Mexico where for some fucking reason..there's a small ass gap that just gets smaller between buildings. It's not that weird...it's uncommon sure but not to the point where it can't exist. Cobb is running for his life. He's not exactly thinking in a most logical manner...he's running for his life ie FEAR...if Cobb had just put his body in a different position..he'd get out a lot more easier..he doesn't. It adds tension thinking that he's stuck and is going to get fucked up.
Old 01-30-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

well maybe Following...I own it and got bored by it VERY quickly
I had this issue when I was watched it; the dialogue is so stilted that it's hard to stay interested beyond the storytelling technique.

I do think that The Prestige is probably his most "complex" film in that
Spoiler:
You don't know if Angier is being transported or if he's being duplicated.
Old 01-30-11, 09:51 PM
Banned

I think so as well...his most "complex" film is The Prestige. You don't know what's exactly real or not in terms of who is actually to do the "magic." Also it's somewhat of a twisted ethical/moral questioning of how far do you go to really do what you do? Also how the film presents the characters the whole time you're w/ Angier in a more positive light and always thinking of Borden in a negative fashion...but by the end..you see what actually is. I know at the ending I was surprised that Angier actually did what he did.
Old 01-31-11, 12:29 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Watched this for the second time last night. First time was in the theater and second time was last nigh on Blu. The film is not really that great on repeat viewing. It does not reveal any new relevance or detail upon repeat viewing.

I was still baffled by the scenes in the snow. The missed opportunity of these scenes is the film's biggest disapointment. What the fuck happened? When I saw the film the first time I thought I'd missed something, but upon reviewing last night I realize that it is just a clusterfuck. The snow sequences looked awesome, like something out of a Bond film, but the action is so fragmented (at a time when the audience is already out on a high wire in regard to the plot) that it all falls to pieces.Saito and Fischer are climbing a mountain, suddenly it's an hour later, then they have to repel down very quickly, they're effectivly back where they started. Then someone remembers a secret air duct enterance and 30 seconds later they are entering the air duct. WTF? It's just rapid montage of Humvees, guys on skis, and dialogue that makes little sense.
Old 01-31-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah that early bit in the snow was a waste, worst part of the movie for me.
Old 01-31-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Saito and Fischer are climbing a mountain, suddenly it's an hour later, then they have to repel down very quickly, they're effectivly back where they started. Then someone remembers a secret air duct enterance and 30 seconds later they are entering the air duct. WTF?
I don't think Saito and Fischer were ever climbing the mountain, but repelling down when they cut the rope near the end of their descent to get ahead of the avalanche somewhat.

Also, the air ducts were a shortcut built into the design for emergency use only. Using it saves time getting in, but compromises the integrity of the maze (projections follow Saito and Fischer through the ducts).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.