Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

'Inception' is an example of film making excellence in every regard.

I only wish we had more truly great films like this that did well financially.
Old 01-04-11, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christopher Nolan has absolutely nothing original or relevant to say about anything. At all. He simply makes high-concept action movies cloaked in chic-noir nihilism. Throw in lots of slow mo and random steady cam shots, assemble in editing room (or cuisinart). Voila, no imagination necessary. The "graphic novel" crowd will think it's a masterpiece anyway. Hey, when your idea of great American literature is Spiderman and X-Men comics I can see why Nolan's half-baked, empty, shoddily executed contraptions would seem like a step up.

He thanks you
Old 01-04-11, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wait...no offense...but...I think he's a great director...but when the hell did people say he was a director w/ a message? He makes films that are great w/ a story to tell. He likes drama...he makes films w/ a drama situation
Old 01-04-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 702 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Christopher Nolan has absolutely nothing original or relevant to say about anything. At all. He simply makes high-concept action movies cloaked in chic-noir nihilism. Throw in lots of slow mo and random steady cam shots, assemble in editing room (or cuisinart). Voila, no imagination necessary. The "graphic novel" crowd will think it's a masterpiece anyway. Hey, when your idea of great American literature is Spiderman and X-Men comics I can see why Nolan's half-baked, empty, shoddily executed contraptions would seem like a step up.

He thanks you
Dude. It's just a movie. Calm down.
Old 01-04-11, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
He likes drama...he makes films w/ a drama situation
So do lots of filmmakers. Why in the hell should Inception have 95% on rotten tomatoes, almost $300 million at the domestic box-office, and near unanimous hyperbolistic praise on message boards throughout the internet? What is it about this arrogant, thoroughly mediocre director that draws such adoration? It's completely baffling. The man has not made a single great film, and barely any good ones. Have audience expectations and/or appreciation of quailty cinema fallen so low that we will except any garbage that even pretends to be ambitious as some kind of masterpiece?

I know there is not much out there in terms of real quality, but people should demand better. This is sad.
Old 01-04-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So do lots of filmmakers. Why in the hell should Inception have 95% on rotten tomatoes, almost $300 million at the domestic box-office, and near unanimous hyperbolistic praise on message boards throughout the internet? What is it about this arrogant, thoroughly mediocre director that draws such adoration? It's completely baffling. The man has not made a single great film, and barely any good ones. Have audience expectations and/or appreciation of quailty cinema fallen so low that we will except any garbage that even pretends to be ambitious as some kind of masterpiece?

I know there is not much out there in terms of real quality, but people should demand better. This is sad.
It sounds like you've answered your own question. Everyone is a complete fucking idiot, except you.
Old 01-04-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris Nolan is arrogant?
Old 01-04-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Let's all check back in 40 years to see if Inception was actually a good movie. Except for you old farts (you know who you are). Because you'll probably be dead.
Old 01-04-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strevlac is a contrarian who only posts to denounce Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson or Wes Anderson, or to praise Armond White. Just ignore his posts, don't give him the attention, and he'll leave you alone.
Old 01-04-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 451 Posts

Christopher Nolan has absolutely nothing original or relevant to say about anything. At all. He simply makes high-concept action movies cloaked in chic-noir nihilism.
Of the 7 feature films he's directed, only 3 could be classified as action movies, and I'm not sure any of them could be considered nihilist.

Hey, when your idea of great American literature is Spiderman and X-Men comics I can see why Nolan's half-baked, empty, shoddily executed contraptions would seem like a step up.
My idea of great American literature is Infinite Jest and A Confederacy of Dunces, and I've liked almost all his films.

Why in the hell should Inception have 95% on rotten tomatoes, almost $300 million at the domestic box-office, and near unanimous hyperbolistic praise on message boards throughout the internet?
It's simple. It scored a 95% because that's the percentage of critics on rottentomatoes.com that liked it. It made $300 million because a lot of people went to see it (note that the box office tally doesn't indicate that any of them actually liked it or not, just that they saw it).

You seem to have trouble wrapping your head around the idea that other people may have opinions that differ from you, and that they may be in the majority. They're not wrong to like something you don't, anymore than you're wrong to dislike something almost everyone else enjoys. It's just a matter of opinion.
Old 01-04-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though obvious troll is obvious, saying Nolan is arrogant invalidates any point you were trying to make
Old 01-04-11, 10:47 PM
Banned

there's shit tons of quality out there. Here in the US alone we have the great mash of films that are mainstream and otherwise not mainstream. Add in foreign films and you got shit ton quality out there.

In no way do I believe Nolan is arrogant. He seems like a very humble and mellow guy w/ no ego that likes to make damn good flicks and is also growing a lot in the technical filmmaking side. In fact...from what it looks like I"m amazed WB hasn't pushed him around cuz he looks like a guy that you could push around and do what they say. If anything...his actual filmmaking isn't mediocre. Story is always able to be disputed..but the man knows how to film something or do something very technical within the frame.

I'll admit...i got bored w/ Following...I was tired so maybe that made it not a good film to watch...at some point I'll bust the DVD and watch it again.

But since Memento seems like the guy's done stuff that has been good. I've said it many times again but his growth as a filmmaker reminds me of how Kubrick just got better and better. In no way am I saying he's as good as Kubrick...I'd say none of our current filmmakers are at the moment...but his growth in his film is getting better.

break it down for me...what are you critiques on each of his films?
Old 01-04-11, 11:44 PM
Banned

From everything I've heard about Nolan, I've certainly never gotten the idea that he was arrogant. I'm not sure what Strevlac is basing that on, but it's a pretty vitrolic statement to make about a person I'm sure he doesn't even know.
Old 01-05-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Strevlac is an obvious troll. I think we can move on.
Old 01-06-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 637 Likes on 491 Posts

Throw in lots of slow mo and random steady cam shots, assemble in editing room (or cuisinart).
Um, I think you're confusing Chris Nolan with Zack Snyder. The latter is the director with a slo-mo fetish.
Old 01-06-11, 09:52 PM
Banned

maybe it's cuz Nolan was doing that whole Superman thing that Snyder is directing now..so maybe...he got confused?
Old 01-19-11, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally saw this and was a bit underwhelmed. I love heady sci-fi flicks (Primer is one of my all-time favorite movies). I was taken out of the movie by some hokey situations and a hundred bad guys who needed to go back to a shooting range for target practice. No doubt there was quite a bit of impressive CGI, but it wasn't enough to overcome some of the clunk. I like Nolan and can see why some would enjoy the movie, though.
Old 01-19-11, 06:18 AM
Banned

I know it can't be just me, but Nolan seems to refuse to make a good movie. Inception...really ? Boring, totally predictable, extraordinarily pretentious, and way overhyped. We've seen this almost exact same story many times before...and done much better each and every time. I can't believe that Nolan still has a career. You'd think he was Michael Bay by the amount of suck he produces. Maybe if Inception had a real leading man in it, it would've been more believable. Ellen and Rosie are far more manly. The effects were just awful. It almost made Scott Pilgrim worth watching.
Old 01-19-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 917 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I know it can't be just me, but Nolan seems to refuse to make a good movie. Inception...really ? Boring, totally predictable, extraordinarily pretentious, and way overhyped. We've seen this almost exact same story many times before...and done much better each and every time. I can't believe that Nolan still has a career. You'd think he was Michael Bay by the amount of suck he produces. Maybe if Inception had a real leading man in it, it would've been more believable. Ellen and Rosie are far more manly. The effects were just awful. It almost made Scott Pilgrim worth watching.
Strevlac, see mods about multiple accounts.

Old 01-19-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Old 01-19-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He thanks you
i've some of the supposed great american literature. not that much different than spiderman or x-men which is just a more modern version of the old greek myths
Old 01-19-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 702 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i've [read] some of the supposed great american literature. not that much different than spiderman or x-men which is just a more modern version of the old greek myths
No.
Old 01-19-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Let's all check back in 40 years to see if Inception was actually a good movie. Except for you old farts (you know who you are). Because you'll probably be dead.
Yep. Lucky me.

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Strevlac is a contrarian who only posts to denounce Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson or Wes Anderson, or to praise Armond White.
All right! My kind'a guy. Welcome to the board, Strevlac! (Which is Calverts backwards.)
Old 01-19-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
No.
take something like death of a salesman, what is so great about it compared to some of the good plays/movies coming out now? or To Kill a Mockingbird? or Gone With the Wind

the one constant about art and media is that there is always 90% or so crap and a small part that is good and will be seen for years to come. A lot of very good movies that are better than the so called classics.

i could never get into the so called classic movies with the old stars like Hepburn. I think all of them are overacted.
Old 01-19-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're making it worse.

Just stop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.