Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Super 8 (produced by JJ Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Super 8 (produced by JJ Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Super 8 (produced by JJ Abrams)

For those receiving e-mail alerts of this thread:

SPOILER ALERTS!

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Spoiler:
The whole thing felt really disconnected to me. Sure he was pissed, but then he started eating people which lowered my compassion level a bit. These kids risk their lives to save the alien, but he tries to kill them even though the alien transferred his feelings to Fanning. Could he not glean from Fanning that they were there to help? Finally, he constructs his ship by making anything that's metal fly through the air potentially killing anyone in its path and the cherry is when the ship takes off, the fucking water tower comes crashing down almost killing a bunch of soldiers. This thing was a menace and we're glad to be rid of him or her!
Spoiler:
In fairness, at the time he abducted Alice, all she would have known for sure was that they knew he was in Air Force custody when they saw the train wreck, and that her science teacher knew something about him. The final pieces of the puzzle that create the empathy were discovered after her abduction. She would have known the kids were interested in him, but not known enough about him to feel any persuasive empathy herself.

As for the destruction on his way out, I read it that Joe persuaded him to just leave rather than continue his rampage. That's different from making peace. At that point, he just decided to get the hell out of Dodge and wasn't terribly concerned with collateral damage. His argument would be, "I quit actively trying to kill you all, just be grateful I left."

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Yes. Here's why (surprised you missed this):

Spoiler:
They find out Woodward was in the Air Force over a decade ago as a scientist. His division found an alien who had crash landed on Earth. Woodward concluded that all it wanted was to go home, but Nelec and others kept in captivity and treated it inhumanely. The creature came to hate humans. However, it knew Woodward to be a genuine kind person as it grabbed him and made a physic connection. Woodward says via tape dictation that he will not stop trying to save the creature from captivity (that's why he derailed the train).
Spoiler:
I think the problem for some viewers is that they processed this expository information, but never really saw the impact of it. The alien's facial gestures tell us he's calming down while in contact with Joe and we surmise from the fact he begins leaving that Joe was successful in reaching him. I think what a lot of people wanted and are conditioned to expect would have been a shot of the tanks ceasing to fire, a confused military reacting with apprehension and maybe some kind of montage showing all of Joe's information being received by the alien. Abrams left a lot for the audience to connect on their own with this one.