Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Super 8 (produced by JJ Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Super 8 (produced by JJ Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Super 8 (produced by JJ Abrams)

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I'm surprised a lot of people won't want to go with friends or a date. It's a monster movie that takes place in a small town. Much the same as Poltergeist.
maybe they don't feel like it...anymore? It's not the 80s anymore..so..maybe that's not hot nowadays? *shrug*

No seriously...uhm...it looks cool to me when I saw the trailers.
Old 06-10-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it in Imax with the wife tonight for $14.00 for both of us thanks to Living Social's Fandango deal. It's still going on for a few more hours if you didn't get in on it yet.

We both were about 14 years old at the time when this movie was set and we both loved the nostalgia and feel of the movie. We thought (aside from lens flares) that it was very much like those movies we enjoyed way back then so much.

The film at during the end credits was an enjoyable bonus as well. I used to "co-star" in our neighborhood Super 8 vampire/monster movies when I was about 10. Watching that brought back even more memories. I wish we had "production values" though. Everything was pretty much set within a 3-block radius of our house.
Old 06-11-11, 02:04 AM

JJ Abrams finally convinced me that hes a good, nay, great filmmaker

Incredible movie. Stuffed with all the things that made the movies you remember as a kid great.

Ideally this movie would spark a revival of true hollywood blockbusters, and move us past the turgid junk of chris nolan, and the banality of 99% of superhero movies.
Old 06-11-11, 02:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Say what you will about Nolan, but he has his own identity as a filmmaker. And while I didn't like Inception or Super 8, I'll take the one that tried to be original.
Old 06-11-11, 02:25 AM

Hes a charlatan at best.
Old 06-11-11, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you mean reviving shitty movies like E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind... then god no... I hope that never happens!
Old 06-11-11, 03:35 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Labor
Hes a charlatan at best.
Right, well, have fun in la la land!
Old 06-11-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Say what you will about Nolan, but he has his own identity as a filmmaker. And while I didn't like Inception or Super 8, I'll take the one that tried to be original.
Inception was overblown and overlong. Super 8 is perfectly paced and 'wows' us with characterization rather than fancy effects. I'll take the one that entertains the most, thank you very much.
Old 06-11-11, 11:23 AM
Banned by request

Super 8 was overblown, too, but in a different way. Both are failures, but at least Inception is Nolan's own failure, so credit to him.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-12-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, I'd rather watch this 10 more times than that shit-fest Inception again once which was incredibly UN-original and TOTALLY lacked imagination.
Old 06-12-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ehh, why are we comparing Abrams to Nolan? They're both great filmmakers, imho...
Old 06-12-11, 05:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow, I'd rather watch this 10 more times than that shit-fest Inception again once which was incredibly UN-original and TOTALLY lacked imagination.
Seriously? Inception had plenty of imagination. Not much logic, or characterization, but imagination sure. Super 8 didn't even have that, as it was taken whole cloth from Spielberg movies that weren't good to begin with.

I love Nolan and I love Abrams, but both of their most recent movies are failures. They're failures for different reasons, but between the two I'll take Inception. That doesn't mean Inception is good, mind you.
Old 06-12-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There were some things that bugged me and brought down the movie a bit but I was able to get passed them without giving myself a headache thinking about them. The cast of kids is really good and likeable which was crucial. I was entertained by it and am satisfied with how it turned out.
Old 06-12-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You guys are nuts sometimes. Inception was amazing, Super 8 was fantastic. They were both extremely well made and entertaining to watch. To even put the word "failure" in the same sentence with either movie is insane. Are there better movies? Of course, but Inception was in my top 3 from last year and it's likely that Super 8 will be one of the top for this year as well.
Old 06-12-11, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
You guys are nuts sometimes. Inception was amazing, Super 8 was fantastic. They were both extremely well made and entertaining to watch. To even put the word "failure" in the same sentence with either movie is insane. Are there better movies? Of course, but Inception was in my top 3 from last year and it's likely that Super 8 will be one of the top for this year as well.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XVCtkzIXYzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Everyone's got 'em.
Old 06-12-11, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like Inception..but it wasn't amazing. Well directed for sure...but it's not earthshattering in terms of moviemaking.
Old 06-12-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Several parts of this movie were scene for the scene the same as "Close Encounters". Right down to the messy house of the fat kid with his brother slamming a doll on the table. But I did enjoy it. Up until the power went out in the area from a storm. Ten minutes before it ended. So I have no idea how it ended. Well, I have an idea.
Old 06-12-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Several parts of this movie were scene for the scene the same as "Close Encounters". Right down to the messy house of the fat kid with his brother slamming a doll on the table. But I did enjoy it. Up until the power went out in the area from a storm. Ten minutes before it ended. So I have no idea how it ended. Well, I have an idea.
The evacuation scene was very similar too. I see nothing wrong at all with paying homage to some of Spielberg's best and most popular movies.

If JJ says he did anything but that then he's either a liar or totally delusional.

I thought both films were very good and I just don't understand why they're being compared--they're night and day different, but Inceptiion was FAR more original.
Old 06-12-11, 10:53 PM

Seriously? Inception had plenty of imagination. Not much logic, or characterization, but imagination sure. Super 8 didn't even have that, as it was taken whole cloth from Spielberg movies that weren't good to begin with.

I love Nolan and I love Abrams, but both of their most recent movies are failures. They're failures for different reasons, but between the two I'll take Inception. That doesn't mean Inception is good, mind you.
Not good? What?

ET and Close Encounters are nothing short of classic cinema. ET in particular is essentially an american cultural milestone
Old 06-13-11, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

ET in particular is essentially an american cultural milestone
You say milestone, I say kidney stone.
Old 06-13-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So how many people here didn't like it BECAUSE of the advertising campaign?
Old 06-13-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

I think it's still a valid argument.

Inception was wholly Chris Nolan - he wasn't trying to emulate anyone or anything.

Super 8 is JJ Abrams trying to emulate Steven Spielberg and not quite achieving it.
Old 06-13-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why people have to knock a film for lack of originality. IMDB lists nearly 2 million films. Add to that who knows how many plays, books, short stories etc. Is it even possible to create something artistic that hasn't been done before in some way?
Old 06-13-11, 11:33 AM
Banned by request

Not good? What?

ET and Close Encounters are nothing short of classic cinema. ET in particular is essentially an american cultural milestone
Overrated, manipulative, schmaltzy cinema. Sure, ET is a cultural milestone. It serves to remind us how we turned away from the cinema of the 60's and 70's where movies were ambiguous, complex, and interesting, and towards the easy to digest mass entertainment that Spielberg excelled in.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-13-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-13-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

I agree, it's bullshit that somebody had to go and make entertainment entertaining.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.