Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Wikipedia says:

Also...guess Sony's saying Lerman isn't Spidey? I'm not freaking out or anything. I just want a good story directed well played out by actors that can do it.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/sony...an/#more-31114
Good news.

You truly are the new chris_sc77.

There's nothing wrong with Spidey in High School. It was a huge part of the character. It could be done.

I heavily doubt WB would even think, at least anytime soon, of a Batman Beyond movie especially with Nolan's films still being so fresh and still working their home video rounds.
Says the guy who likes Logan Lerman LOL
Old 04-12-10, 01:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At least chris_sc77 stood by a set of principles, however misguided they may have been. This just seems like pointless bashing.
Old 04-12-10, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
That cartoon is awful and kiddyish. Even though the 90s Spider-Man was just a big headache some of it was really done, had it not been for censors it could have been a great show. This new crap has none of those censors and it's just awful.

If you want to give me a superhero in high school, give me a Batman Beyond movie.
Seriously? Have you even bothered to watch a few episodes?? Spectacular Spider-man has far superier writing and animation to the 90's series. As for Batman Beyond, that show sucks. The only good thing that came out of that show was Return of the Joker.

Last edited by Jedi Master 33; 04-12-10 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I liked Batman Beyond. Return of the Joker was just shy of greatness because
Spoiler:
they pulled that "DNA on a microchip" crap and Terry just pulls the Jolly Jack lead out of his ass rather than through any real detective work
at the end. At least we got that great Epilogue episode in JLA.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
At least chris_sc77 stood by a set of principles, however misguided they may have been. This just seems like pointless bashing.
QFT
Old 04-12-10, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Assuming that the film is about Parker's high school years, I ask again: who would you cast in favor of Lerman?
Still waiting for an answer...
Old 04-12-10, 09:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Still waiting for an answer...

Anton Yelchin.
Old 04-12-10, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yelchin is a good pick, but will he gain Idioteque's approval?
Old 04-12-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[Idioteque...]No way! That clown ruined Star Trek! And hew was in that shitty movie about Batman versus Transformers![/Idioteque...]
Old 04-12-10, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
Says the guy who likes Logan Lerman LOL
I never said I liked him. I just don't understand all this senseless bashing. Seems like the kid has done ok I guess. I've never seen his work but to just bash him like that is truly childish.
Old 04-18-10, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You truly are the new chris_sc77.

There's nothing wrong with Spidey in High School. It was a huge part of the character. It could be done.

I heavily doubt WB would even think, at least anytime soon, of a Batman Beyond movie especially with Nolan's films still being so fresh and still working their home video rounds.
There is something wrong with making a film about Spidey in High School. Less than 10 years ago there was a Spidey in High School movie and it was great. Why remake so soon? They rebooted Hulk after 1 movie, and are about to reboot Superman after 1 movie. Audiences are going to lose interest in these franchises because you can never count on a sequel, only a constant retelling of the fracking origin story over and over.

Nolan is one round of executive musical chairs away from being booted off of Batman so they can make yet another Batman in training movie (only with Zach Braf playing Liam Neeson, and Harry Potter as Batman).
Old 04-18-10, 04:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To its credit, The Incredible Hulk could have been a sequel, and it didn't retell the origin (except maybe in a very brief flashback).

As far as Spider-Man goes, this is what Sony is doing, so we're just going to have to hope it is good. And yes, the fact is that in the comic he was in high school for years and years, so I don't have a problem with a whole movie focusing on his high school years.
Old 04-18-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
To its credit, The Incredible Hulk could have been a sequel, and it didn't retell the origin (except maybe in a very brief flashback).

As far as Spider-Man goes, this is what Sony is doing, so we're just going to have to hope it is good. And yes, the fact is that in the comic he was in high school for years and years, so I don't have a problem with a whole movie focusing on his high school years.
The new Spider Man could be a good movie, but they're tarnishing their franchise by doing it so soon. Maybe 15-year-olds won't notice, but the constant reboots have the whiff of failure about them and I'm definitely not going to get invested in franchises when it seems every movie will just be another failed one-off with no sequels.

As soon as you start to like a character in a role, they trash the franchise and reboot. It's going to kill this genre of movies.

Even though they sucked, at least Lucas told new stories with his prequels rather than reboot the franchise with Topher Grace as Luke, Ellen Page as Leia, and Zac Ephron as Han Solo. And Star Wars is plenty old enough for a remake.
Old 04-18-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamphorn
at least Lucas told new stories with his prequels rather than reboot the franchise with Topher Grace as Luke, Ellen Page as Leia, and Zac Ephron as Han Solo. And Star Wars is plenty old enough for a remake.
You forgot Michael Cera as C-3PO and Jonah Hill as R2-D2. I mean, we already would have Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader so those cast choices would only be moving up on the talent scale.

As for Spider-Man...between the reboot in the comics and the Spectacular Spider Man cartoon, we've seen Spider-Man rebooted more times this past decade than a failing PC. If they really want to do a new movie and pretend something from the past didn't exist, let's do another run at the Venom saga. Because I am convinced a truly good Venom saga could be put to film. It may take two movies to tell it, or perhaps over the course of a new trilogy, but it could be done.

Last edited by calhoun07; 04-18-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is something wrong with making a film about Spidey in High School. Less than 10 years ago there was a Spidey in High School movie and it was great. Why remake so soon? They rebooted Hulk after 1 movie, and are about to reboot Superman after 1 movie. Audiences are going to lose interest in these franchises because you can never count on a sequel, only a constant retelling of the fracking origin story over and over.

Nolan is one round of executive musical chairs away from being booted off of Batman so they can make yet another Batman in training movie (only with Zach Braf playing Liam Neeson, and Harry Potter as Batman).
Don't forget that Fox is also rebooting Fantastic Four and Daredevil. In those cases, I think it's a good thing.
Old 04-18-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I guess I can take a Spiderman in high school, I don't need to see the orgin story again. I don't see how they could top the one 10 years ago. That one actually was better than the comic orgin since it didn't take the giant leap of faith that the robber would find his way to Peter's house to kill Ben. Ben sitting nearby with a car to steal made a whole lot more sense.

If the HAVE to tell the orgin, just have a naration at he begining or have Peter tell MJ it in a few lines of dialog.

I know fanboys want to see the whole Gwen thrown off the bridge story but it was essentially already done & audiences will be pissed that the film is just rehashing scenes form the earlier movies.
Old 04-18-10, 05:54 PM
Banned

Maybe you're thinking I'm totally pro for the reboot but I'm not. I'm not for it though either. And to be honest...SM1 wasn't really all that much in High School. But I get what you're saying.

Do you think WB is going to piss off Nolan? Right now, they're sucking his proverbial cock for him to work w/ them as much as possible I bet.
Old 04-18-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you're thinking I'm totally pro for the reboot but I'm not. I'm not for it though either. And to be honest...SM1 wasn't really all that much in High School. But I get what you're saying.

Do you think WB is going to piss off Nolan? Right now, they're sucking his proverbial cock for him to work w/ them as much as possible I bet.
Yeah, I agree. Nolan is in a pretty precarious position, though. Expectations are so high for him that if whatever he does next doesn't reach Dark Knight box office or critical acclaim will be seen as a failure, even if by any rational standard it's a success. My expectation is that they'll be rebooting Batman within 6-7 years. If superhero movies are still being made, that is. I think the fad will pass before the decade is out. Mostly due to excess origin story reboots.
Old 04-18-10, 07:08 PM
Banned

Failure to the critics who dislike his rapid and pretty stead success but realistically a success to the filmgoer and us. I mean...not many people expect him to do it again. Hell I know for sure the basic "entertainment news" rags will heavily question whether it'll beat Avatar and whatnot. Also..I think WB will be happy with whatever success he has with them. Especially if it's a lot.
Old 04-18-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I thought the DC of daredevil was OK, but it could still be much better, and I'd welcome a re-boot there. And the Fantastic Four? A comic/cinematic abortion, IMNSHO. The FF had been my favorite comic since I was a youngster, and I was simply apalled at how atrocious the films were. I saw the first one in the theater, but the 2nd one? I haven't been able to make it through a single full viewing, though I've caught nearly all of it (enough of it, anyway) on cable to have an entirely accurate opinion of the film (CRAP).

The FF needs a serious re-boot. And you can take that two ways.
The DC of Fantastic Four was actually better, too.

It think the lesson we are learning is perhaps the studios just need to stop cutting down on the running times for these movies and holding the longer cuts for eventual double dips. I think FF would have gone over better with the director's cut if it hit the theater.
Old 04-18-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the costumes were spot on in Fantastic Four
Old 04-18-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the Ben/Johnny interaction was spot-on in both the movies. Can any FF fan can say the 'shaving cream in Ben's hand' scene wasn't something right out of the comics. Chiklis was great as Ben & I had no issues with Johnny either.
Old 04-18-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Ben and Johnny were done right in the FF movies. My only gripe is that they didn't find some way to play up Ben's height.
Old 04-19-10, 08:04 AM
Banned

Yeah, the Ben and Johnny Dynamic was fine. Maybe a bit tooooo cocky for Johnny in FF1 but it was fine. Kinda wish Ben was Taller though. Also...I was amazed Ben's one-liners worked at all. In the comics they were classic and great didn't think they'd work well in a movie...guess I was wrong.

My biggest issue w/ the FF films besides the plot was Reed and Sue. Sue was totally miscast. To me she was the girl who was pretty but as her character developed in the stories and her actions in the team made her a very adult woman. I didn't like who was cast as Reed either he was almost right.
Old 04-19-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ioan Gruffud was fine as Reed. The problem was the character as written. They got the uber-nerd part right but they forgot to have Reed prove himself as the right man to lead the team. Instead he just sort of landed the job. The only time they wrote Reed right was when he told off Andre Braugher in the sequel.
Old 04-19-10, 08:30 AM
Banned

Maybe that's what irked me, but yeah. That part in FF2, which was something lifted from the Ultimate FF series, was pretty badass. I was like...well damn...that's Reed for sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.