Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Hitchcock Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your Favorite Hitchcock Film

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 02:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Your Favorite Hitchcock Film

Originally Posted by inri222
Vertigo - A twisted psychological noir about a fucked up individual's sexual obssession with a dead woman. One of Hitchcock's deepest films. Excellent cinematography, acting and music. Freud would have loved this film.
This and this again. Vertigo is a masterpiece of suspense filmmaking and is, in my opinion, the apex of both Hitchcock's and Jimmy Stewart's work. You haven't lived until you've seen Vertigo in 70mm.
Old 11-29-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rebecca, then closely followed by Vertigo.
Old 11-29-09, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 236 Posts

I once would have said NORTH BY NORTHWEST, REAR WINDOW, and PSYCHO simply because they were the most "entertaining." But as I've gotten older, I find SHADOW OF A DOUBT, NOTORIOUS, REBECCA, and STRANGERS ON A TRAIN to be richer, more complex adult works.

NOTORIOUS for the way it handles the strains on the relationship between Grant and Bergman. It's emotionally honest.

REBECCA for the way it follows Joan Fontaine's state of mind as she keeps having to field balls from left field over this Rebecca chick everyone's talking about and how she finds the inner strength to deal with it.

STRANGERS for Robert Walker's brutally honest and chilling portrayal of a psychotic who latches onto another person for "completion." I don't think we ever saw a performance like that from any other corner of Golden Age Hollywood. Did any other star ever take a risk like that? Watching him commit that murder is far more powerful a moment than anything I've seen in any actual serial killer movies. And Hitchcock kind of makes us root for him. We want him to succeed. But then...we realize we've gone too far and we really didn't want him to hang around and make our life miserable. Fascinating what Hitchcock makes go on in our heads when we watch his best films. Now, I wish I'd read Patricia Highsmith's novel. (Is it even in print?) Her "Talented Mr. Ripley" is probably the best literary depiction of a sociopath I've ever read.

And, finally, SHADOW, my favorite, for the way it shows the seams of a picture-perfect American town and the psychosis erupting from underneath its stability and order. Just watching Teresa Wright's slow, horrifying, gradual realization that her charming and beloved Uncle Charlie (Joseph Cotten) is a serial killer and a wanted man. And watching Uncle Charlie's slow unveiling of a true sociopath. And this at a time when the propaganda needs of the war were demanding that films like this "sell" the American way of life. Contrast this with MRS. MINIVER to show the difference between realism and artifice on the homefront during the war.

Even PSYCHO seems like a much lighter film than either of these four.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-29-09 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-29-09, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Still love The Birds.
Up to this day, I have a phobia for birds because of the movie.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And, finally, SHADOW, my favorite, for the way it shows the seams of a picture-perfect American town and the psychosis erupting from underneath its stability and order. Just watching Teresa Wright's slow, horrifying, gradual realization that her charming and beloved Uncle Charlie (Joseph Cotten) is a serial killer and a wanted man. And watching Uncle Charlie's slow unveiling of a true sociopath. And this at a time when the propaganda needs of the war were demanding that films like this "sell" the American way of life. Contrast this with MRS. MINIVER to show the difference between realism and artifice on the homefront during the war.
I love how nonchalantly, Teresa Wright's dad and friends talk how about committing the perfect murder not realizing that besides them there is an actual murderer.
Old 11-29-09, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TCM had a mini Jimmy Stewart film fest yesterday, and I caught 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' for the first time. Wow, I was just blown away! The scene at the Royal Albert Hall should be required viewing for all up-and-coming directors. Hitch was a master behind the camera...doing close ups, cuts, and tracking shots like no one else could.

As for the film, I was taken in right from the first scene on the bus, to the closing scenes at the embasy. I could watch this film again right now, and be completely engaged once again.

And lastly, it surely didn't hurt to have the film processed in VistaVision. Combined with Technicolor, every shot was a fest for the eyes.
Old 11-29-09, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rope, although Ash Ketchum makes a good case for Strangers on a Train.
Old 11-29-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

North By Northwest for me. Psycho is probably a distant second. Vertigo is third, but it took about three or four viewings of that movie before I really appreciated it.
Old 11-29-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Rope, although Ash Ketchum makes a good case for Strangers on a Train.
Both are my favorites
Old 11-29-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

North by Northwest. It blends many genres quite well. Strangers on a Train is next in line.
Old 11-29-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

North By Northwest, with Rear Window neck and neck. However, I LOVE Rope, Strangers on a Train, Vertigo, and To Catch a Theif.
Old 11-29-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Psycho
Old 11-29-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 298 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Vertigo - A twisted psychological noir about a fucked up individual's sexual obssession with a dead woman. One of Hitchcock's deepest films. Excellent cinematography, acting and music. Freud would have loved this film.
What I love about this film is I notice new things each time I watch it. Seeing it the first time is one experience, but once you know the ending you experience a totally different film upon repeat viewings, especially in Kim Novak's performance.
Old 11-30-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 800 Likes on 567 Posts

Rear Window, by a mile. I'm not a big Hitchcock fan.
Old 11-30-09, 10:48 AM

Vertigo. I remembered watching it the first time, not knowing anything about the plot. At first I thought it was a ghost story and then the movie transformed into another thing.
Old 11-30-09, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
North By Northwest. If your trying to decide what film of his to watch next though - why not just watch them all in order of their release? I love every Hitchcock film I've ever seen.
My wife and I started doing just this earlier this year using a book called "A Year of Hitchcock" as our guide. It's a pretty fun book that gives each film a chapter and is set up to watch one a week, which comes out pretty close to a year.

I had been posting my progress at the Alfred Hitchcock Wiki forum. Unfortunately there isn't much traffic over there and I had a troll put a damper on some of my fun in that thread. We have only made it through the silent era so far, but this thread has hopefully inspired me to start up again. Maybe I will start a new thread here since there are so many other Hitchcock fans around here. It might be fun if some of you wanted to do it also and discuss as we go.

I'll admit the silent films were a little trying...The Lodger was brilliant, and very "Hitchcockian", but the others were various levels of not so good. Each had some great moments though, and were worth checking out.

Before starting the chronological order thing, I had only seen a handful of his more well known films. I'd probably say North By Northwest is my favorite. I love the suspense, action, acting, humor...pretty much everything about it is great. I really have to pick up the Blu one of these days...definately before it is up on the chronology! Next best is probably Rebecca, great movie...beautiful and haunting. That one really sticks with me.

Maybe I should start a new thread soon to see if anyone is interested in a "Hitchcock Club"...
Old 11-30-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,525 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Man, just reading this thread makes me want to re-visit ALL of hitchcock's movies!

I recently watched North by Northwest, Psycho, and Rear Window so I think I might give Notorious or Rope a shot next.
Old 11-30-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hitch is my favorite director, I couldn't name only one as being my "favorite".
Old 11-30-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 800 Likes on 481 Posts

REBECCA by far.

Followed by Rope, The Lady Vanishes, North By Northwest, Dial M For Murder, Vertigo, Saboteur, Rear Window, The 39 Steps, and Notorious.
Old 12-01-09, 08:23 AM

Connery and Hedren in "Marnie" is an interesting study. Not my absolute favorite. Great Hitchcock nonetheless.
Old 12-01-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always loved that Tales from the Crypt episode where Hitchcock had a "cameo".
Old 12-01-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
North By Northwest, with Rear Window neck and neck.
That would be my call, as well. I just watched North by Northwest at the family gathering for Thanksgiving, and that movie is just such grand entertainment on every level. I'm also a big fan of Vertigo, The Birds, Saboteur, Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much ('56).....aw heck, he just made a lot of great films.
Old 12-01-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once a year or so, I rewatch every film he directed, plus commentaries. I'm about a third of the way through his ouevre right now, though I'm not watching in order, as I did the last couple of years. I must admit I'm not particularly looking forward to revisiting Number Seventeen or Jamaica Inn, but the completist in me won't take no for an answer!
Old 12-01-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still find it puzzling that "Psycho" and "The Birds" are by far his most "popular" movies. I get the sinking feeling more people "know about" these movies than have actually seen them...
Old 12-01-09, 08:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Birds is one of my least favorite Hitchcock movies. I never found it scary and the effects are woefully out of date.
Old 12-01-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By "most popular" I meant among the general populace; not us fellow and honorable movie nerds.

I've grown to love Vertigo over the years, but I didn't like it at first. I think I was expecting a thriller and not a dark psychological drama. I've never warmed up to Shadow of a Doubt; try as I might, I always fall asleep watching it. And I've never been able to watch Spellbound more than once.

Everything else, for the most part, fucking rules (some more, even much more than others). Agreeing with 'mallet about "The Birds" but it still entertains me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.