Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old Dogs (John Travolta and Robin Williams)

Old 11-06-09, 04:22 PM

Old Dogs (John Travolta and Robin Williams)

I am surprised this is actually the first movie that John Travolta and Robin Williams have co-starred together in. They seem to work well with each other and it is clear after watching the trailer for this movie. Looks like a funny movie.
Old 11-06-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Old Dogs (John Travolta and Robin Williams)

It's a match that didn't seem obvious to me until I saw it ...
Old 11-06-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll give it a shot, the trailer has me interested, even though I can see where this film is headed right away.
Old 11-06-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't expect anything outstanding but this looks like it will be a fun comedy from the trailer. I'll probably check it out in theaters.
Old 11-07-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long ago did they make this? I see from the credits that Bernie Mac is in it. Has it been sitting on the shelf for a few years?
Old 11-07-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This will be terrible. Just a hunch.
Old 11-07-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dcprules View Post
How long ago did they make this? I see from the credits that Bernie Mac is in it. Has it been sitting on the shelf for a few years?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976238/trivia

- Bernie Mac's last film.

- The film was planned to be released on April 10, 2009, but Bernie Mac's death caused Disney to postpone the release date to November 25, 2009.
Old 11-09-09, 12:56 PM

I enjoyed the trailers enough to want to see this. The cast is so solid and seeing Matt Dillon, Justin Long and Dax Shepard all on the same screen will be a good time!
Old 11-13-09, 05:01 PM

This interview with John and his daughter Ella on Ellen is just too cute. I had to share! I think it will be fun seeing John, Ella and Kelly all on the big screen together.
Old 11-25-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will never see this movie, but this review is frickin' hilarious:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...-than-old-dogs

"If "Old Dogs" were a person, I would stab it in the face."
Old 11-25-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Read the Rotten Tomatoes page. The quotes sound like Spinal Tap album reviews.

Painful.

A total train wreck

Racist, juvenile and nonsensical.

[A] sorry mess, a mangy, flea-bitten comedy of Daddy Day Care caliber.

It is an irredeemable affair.

...a morass of cliche, crotch shots and utter disregard for both logic and the audience. Walt Disney and poor Bernie Mac must be turning over in their graves.

Old Dogs seems to have lingered in post-production while editors struggled desperately to inject laugh cues. It obviously knows no one will find it funny without being ordered to.

So wretched that it should be unceremoniously put down.

If Old Dogs isn't the absolute worst movie either star has appeared in, it's close enough to count.

Insipid, predictable, broad comedy mixed with Disney Family Values makes for one exasperating sit.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009596-old_dogs/
Old 11-25-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc View Post
I will never see this movie, but this review is frickin' hilarious:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...-than-old-dogs

"If "Old Dogs" were a person, I would stab it in the face."
I read that yesterday funny as hell.

I was shocked to see that there were MIDNIGHT showings in my area.

I don't really seeing this do all that well but then again Paul Blart Mall Cop was so go figure...
Old 11-25-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I read that yesterday funny as hell.

I was shocked to see that there were MIDNIGHT showings in my area.

I don't really seeing this do all that well but then again Paul Blart Mall Cop was so go figure...

I think midnight showings are something more commonplace in major cities. I know that in Orlando,Fl about an hour west of me, they do midnight showings every Thursday at certain theaters.
Old 11-25-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fernsita View Post
I enjoyed the trailers enough to want to see this. The cast is so solid and seeing Matt Dillon, Justin Long and Dax Shepard all on the same screen will be a good time!
This interview with John and his daughter Ella on Ellen is just too cute. I had to share! I think it will be fun seeing John, Ella and Kelly all on the big screen together.

Any other combinations of completely random people you can think of that are going to be on screen together that would make me want to see this wretched mess? Your first two examples didn't work for me.

Last edited by cungar; 11-25-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-25-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I think midnight showings are something more commonplace in major cities. I know that in Orlando,Fl about an hour west of me, they do midnight showings every Thursday at certain theaters.
I should have probably added that they were advertising the midnight showings like it was an event type movie! The same way they did with New Moon etc...
Old 11-25-09, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Any other combinations of completely random people you can think of that are going to be on screen together that would make me want to see this wretched mess? Your first two examples didn't work for me.
cungar -- I didn't think my groupings were random. The first set are all well-known comedic actors. So seeing them together would be entertaining in my opinion. The second group of people (John, Kelly, Ella) are all family, so I thought that would be fun to see their family dynamics in a movie. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone...I was just posting my thoughts.
Old 11-25-09, 02:27 PM

I doubt the story is all that good but the cast will certainly bring in the bucks. Looks like one for a sunday afternoon
Old 11-25-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cungar -- I didn't think my groupings were random. The first set are all well-known comedic actors. So seeing them together would be entertaining in my opinion. The second group of people (John, Kelly, Ella) are all family, so I thought that would be fun to see their family dynamics in a movie. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone...I was just posting my thoughts.
Yes I'm sure the film shows their family dynamic. Hope you enjoy the film.
Old 11-25-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
This will be terrible. Just a hunch.
Yeah, seems like Disney has had some bad luck. Christmas Carol was a box office failure, Old Dogs and Princess and the Frog probably will do poorly also.
Old 11-25-09, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yeah, seems like Disney has had some bad luck. Christmas Carol was a box office failure, Old Dogs and Princess and the Frog probably will do poorly also.
Nothing to do with luck. Just bad decisions.
Old 11-25-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After watching the trailers and reading the reviews, I can't imagine a more abominable, wretched looking movie.

And it'll probably make a fortune.
Old 11-25-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yeah, seems like Disney has had some bad luck. Christmas Carol was a box office failure...
Don't be so sure that "Disney's Christmas Carol" is a failure. Read on, young grasshopper:

Originally Posted by Jim Hill Media

Original article can be found here.

You’re going to read a lot of stories this morning about how Disney’s “A Christmas Carol” had a bad opening weekend. How – because this new Robert Zemeckis movie didn’t make $35 - $40 million during its first three days in domestic release – this rather expensive ImageMovers Digital production is now considered something of a disappointment.

Which – to be blunt – is bull.

You have to understand that one of the main reasons that Mickey said “Yes” when Robert initially proposed a performance capture version of Charles Dickens’ holiday classic is … Well, the Mouse’s accountants had seen how much “The Polar Express” had earned for Warner Bros. since that CG film was first released back in November of 2004. That – between “Polar Express” ‘s theatrical release & DVD sales, its annual re-release to IMAX theaters as well as its recent repurposing as a theme park attraction – this Steve Starkey production is now the Christmas gift that keeps on giving.

So when it comes to Disney’s “A Christmas Carol,” the Company went into this project deliberately taking the long view. While others may focus on how this Zemeckis movie did over its opening weekend, those in the Michael Eisner building know that – by the time New Year’s Eve rolls around – this film will have racked up a rather impressive worldwide gross. More to the point, the Studio now has another perennial (Sort of like that Disney Digital 3D version of Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Which has become something of a holiday tradition at many theaters around the country. Popping up in limited release for those two weeks prior to Halloween) that it will soon be able to leverage across various platforms on a seasonal basis.

Trust me on this one, folks. Nobody at the Studio is losing sleep over the amount of money that “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” didn’t make over its opening weekend. Would they have preferred that this performance capture picture pulled in an additional $9 - $10 million during its first three days in domestic release? Absolutely. But when you take the long view (i.e. what this ImageMovers Digital production will earn for the Company over the next 3 to 5 years) … It’s still going to wind up being an amount that would have made Ebenezer Scrooge (at his absolute greediest) very happy.
Old 11-25-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I smell a shill in this thread.
Old 11-25-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*sniffs underarms*
Old 11-26-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This will mostly likely be on a lot of worst list in a month.

Last edited by riley_dude; 11-27-09 at 01:28 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.