Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let the Right One In remake Let Me In...aka Fish Head?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let the Right One In remake Let Me In...aka Fish Head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In remake Let Me In...aka Fish Head?

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not so much that they can't read but that they can't read quickly.

My dad, for example, doesn't speak English. So when he watches a movie for the first time, he'll watch it dubbed in Spanish so he doesn't miss what's happening on-screen while he's reading subtitles. He'll watch the film subtitled on subsequent viewings because he has a firm grasp of what the movie's about and what's being said. So he can just glance quickly at the subtitles and keep watching the movie.
funny you should say that. My Dad, back in the 80s when I was but a wee child, would watch films where he easily grasp what was being said and learn English from there. Action films...a great way to learn English. lol. Thank you, Arnold and Sly for helping my father learn a language in that Education...I grew up learning English from those films and Sesame Street.
Old 07-01-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
People can't read.

It's not they don't want to, not that they 'fear' it, they lack the reading abilities to keep up with the movie.
I'm sure that's one reason, but I know some people who read ferociously - all the time and very quickly. They'll finish books almost on a daily basis, but these same people hate watching subtitled movies. They can certainly read a lot faster than I can, and yet I don't have problems keeping up with a subtitled movie.
Old 07-01-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm sure that's one reason, but I know some people who read ferociously - all the time and very quickly. They'll finish books almost on a daily basis, but these same people hate watching subtitled movies. They can certainly read a lot faster than I can, and yet I don't have problems keeping up with a subtitled movie.
I read a lot and watch a lot of subtitled films. Like most everybody here, I hate watching things dubbed, however watching a movie subtitled is almost always a very frustrating experience. I have to keep my eyes on the bottom half of the screen to read, meaning I can't focus as much on what's happening in the rest of the frame, and you lose that sense of having to wait to hear the dialog as it's spoken. The later problem is particularly worse when I film uses longer, wordier subtitles as opposed to shorter quicker ones. I think people who refuse to watch a movie because it's subtitled are idiots, but I don't blame people for not enjoying it as much.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
funny you should say that. My Dad, back in the 80s when I was but a wee child, would watch films where he easily grasp what was being said and learn English from there. Action films...a great way to learn English. lol. Thank you, Arnold and Sly for helping my father learn a language in that Education...I grew up learning English from those films and Sesame Street.
Uhhhhh... someone else want to take this?
Old 07-01-10, 06:17 PM
Banned

What's to take? My dad would watch those films cuz it's dialogue is simple and easy to grasp. Also in that I learned what a good action film was and some English. Not the best way but it was learned...probably learned more from Sesame Street but...hey..they were great films to grow up on.
Old 07-01-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
What's to take? My dad would watch those films cuz it's dialogue is simple and easy to grasp. Also in that I learned what a good action film was and some English. Not the best way but it was learned...probably learned more from Sesame Street but...hey..they were great films to grow up on.
Sorry, I was making a (not so nice) joke about the grammatical construction of this sentence and it's contents:
Thank you, Arnold and Sly for helping my father learn a language in that Education...I grew up learning English from those films and Sesame Street.
Old 07-01-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

At work on Twitter I saw everyone praising this trailer. I think I expected a little more. There's definitely a few shot-for-shot recreations in there and I don't like the music either.

Then again, does it really -- and come on now, be honest -- look as bad as one might have expected an American remake of Let the Right One In to look like? Or any remake? As I was telling a friend the other day, in light of a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot movie, a shot-for-shot remake of something practically sounds artistically noble, and even if you don't buy that, I'd say it looks better than Psycho or Death at a Funeral, by quite a bit, so I'm not totally prepared to write it off.

I think in a case like this, a remake can scrape by without totally standing on its own by being more like a cover version of the original than a true remake, or like seeing a stage play with a new cast. I have almost no doubt that Let Me In will be inferior to the original, but it might be a neat riff on it.
Old 07-01-10, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mordred
Sorry, I was making a (not so nice) joke about the grammatical construction of this sentence and it's contents:
....well I'm calling it an education (for some reason I capitalized the "e"), knowing it's not. The other part seems fine.

on the topic:

It looks visually good, as a compilation of scenes but is it good? I dunno. Shot for shot seems like it's just cheating at an attempt of even trying to remake something.
Old 07-01-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Giantrobo got it right with his comment earlier. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Had this been a different take on the story, you'd have people here bitching that nothing should have been changed from the original. Instead, you get what appears to be a shot-for-shot remake and you get people bitching that nothing was changed from the original.
Old 07-02-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'll see the remake. I liked the original, but I'm not "married" to it.
I feel the same way.
Old 07-02-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

I happen to love Subtitled films but I think most folks want their films to do the work. They want to sit back and watch the entertainment. Books are more interactive to me since you're creating the images in you own head, creating voices for what you think a character should sound like, and etc. Video games are similar because you're controlling the action and what happens.

Originally Posted by Mordred
I read a lot and watch a lot ... however watching a movie subtitled is almost always a very frustrating experience. I have to keep my eyes on the bottom half of the screen to read, meaning I can't focus as much on what's happening in the rest of the frame, and you lose that sense of having to wait to hear the dialog as it's spoken. as much.
Yeah as much as I dig subtitled films this has happened to me. It's like you have to see film more than once. Once to read the subs and again to enjoy the visuals.
Old 07-02-10, 01:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Giantrobo got it right with his comment earlier. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Had this been a different take on the story, you'd have people here bitching that nothing should have been changed from the original. Instead, you get what appears to be a shot-for-shot remake and you get people bitching that nothing was changed from the original.
People are against the idea of the remake entirely. Sort of like The Ring. People were insisting that the remake "sucked" and that it couldn't possibly be any good. Turned out the American version was better in many ways than the original.

Anybody know what the Morse code is at the end of the trailer? I'm going to guess it's not "puss puss."
Old 07-02-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One dot is "E," so it's probably "Help Me."
Old 07-02-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Pass. Reeves is obviously imitating what was already done better than he could have, so why bother? This is only for fools who can't handle subtitles, plain and simple.
Exactly.
Old 07-02-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Anybody know what the Morse code is at the end of the trailer? I'm going to guess it's not "puss puss."
Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
One dot is "E," so it's probably "Help Me."
Good guess Heggs, it is 'help me'.
Old 07-02-10, 02:40 PM

Thanks, fellas! Now when this plays in front of a movie, I can impress my date.
Old 07-02-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Thanks, fellas! Now when this plays in front of a movie, I can impress my date.
Nothing says "I'm the man" like "I remember this from Ham Radio Club!"
Old 07-02-10, 02:47 PM

For years, it's been my ambition to buy and build a ham radio just so I can get on there long enough to say "I have a ham radio."
Old 07-02-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the idea of a shot for shot remake. Like someone said its like a cover song.
Old 07-03-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Kodi Smit-Mcphee being involved. The kid has talent. He was fantastic in 'The Road'. He had a heavy load to carry in that film, and he was more than up to the task.

Chloe Moretz sure was impressive in 'Kick Ass', and she's got a ton of projects going/booked so I expect she's quite good too.

Richard Jenkins is as good as it gets, you know he will deliver in anything. He wanted to be a dinosaur too, so he has that going for him.

Elias Koteas is a solid talent that I don't think gets the recognition/parts he deserves.

Chris Browning has it too. Granted he's not well known but he's given good performances in smaller roles in films like 'Felon', '3:10 To Yuma', and 'Book of Eli'.

A good cast is a great start.

I'll definitely see this, but it has a hell of a good movie to live up to. I hope it's another take on the story that works well myself. I really like that story.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to trailers.
Old 07-03-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I def agree on Elias Koteas - Casey Jones, FTW.

There's certainly a great deal of talent involved here, I just don't see the reason for it to exist aside from Americans hating subtitles.
Old 07-03-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Put me in the boat of "this COULD be good" - The original was actually really good and I don't see
Spoiler:
The pool scene being beat or topped at all

Ya never know, so far it looks good.
Old 07-05-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Empire Magazine
Old 07-06-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Michael Giacchino is doing the score, big shocker there.
Old 07-06-10, 01:48 PM

For years, it's been my ambition to buy and build a ham radio just so I can get on there long enough to say "I have a ham radio."

hamradio

For some reason this has always been one of my favorite Simpsons jokes.

Still not really feeling this remake, but I know I'll catch it. If anything just to compare it to the original, which I found to be quite good.

Last edited by notkevinbacon; 07-06-10 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 11:47 PM
Banned

new pic...*sigh*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.