Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future Marvel movies could potentially be in jeopardy (rights issues)...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future Marvel movies could potentially be in jeopardy (rights issues)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Future Marvel movies could potentially be in jeopardy (rights issues)...

Originally Posted by stingermck
Didn't Marston have a deal, that Wonder Woman had to be in print so many times a year for DC to continue using her, or am i imagining that?
That's always been the rumor, although I don't think DC has ever publicly confirmed it.
Old 09-22-09, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
This isn't a new out of the blue issue. Kirby was fighting with Marvel for nearly 30 years about creator rights. It's why he left Marvel in the 70s and started working for DC and never went back. He was fighting Marvel until the day he died for the rights to his work. They held thousands and thousands of pages of his original arts and royally screwed him for years and years.

He's lucky to be credited? The man is personally responsible for almost all modern comics as you know them. His influence on popular culture is incredibly, whether the people who are influenced by his creations and ideas know it or not.

Anyone who thinks this is a "money grab" is incredibly ignorant to the facts.

At the end of the day, I don't know whether the law will consider Kirby to be an employee or an independent contractor. There are good arguments either way. But I do know that a lot of people have made a lot of money ove rthe years off of his ideas and his talent. If I were his kid, I would want my inheritance, too.

One slight correction: Kirby did come back to Marvel in the late 70s, where he had a great run on Captain America as well as creating the Eternals, Devil Dinosaur and Machine Man.
Old 09-22-09, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
This isn't a new out of the blue issue. Kirby was fighting with Marvel for nearly 30 years about creator rights. It's why he left Marvel in the 70s and started working for DC and never went back. He was fighting Marvel until the day he died for the rights to his work. They held thousands and thousands of pages of his original arts and royally screwed him for years and years.

He's lucky to be credited? The man is personally responsible for almost all modern comics as you know them. His influence on popular culture is incredibly, whether the people who are influenced by his creations and ideas know it or not.

Anyone who thinks this is a "money grab" is incredibly ignorant to the facts.
Very true. I couldn't say it any better.
Old 09-23-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Confirmed: Jack Kirby's heirs want a piece of Spider-Man

Spider-Man is, indeed, one of the Marvel characters listed in the 45 copyright-termination notices sent last week by the heirs of Jack Kirby.

With Sony Pictures among the list of recipients -- along with Marvel, Disney, Fox, Universal and others -- it seemed likely that Kirby's four children were seeking a portion of the copyright to the wall-crawler (Sony holds the movie rights to the character in perpetuity). Now The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog confirms that after reviewing termination notices for Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

Wait. Didn't Stan Lee and Steve Ditko create Spider-Man? Well ... yes. However, Kirby was clearly involved in the early stages. The nature, and extent, of that involvement isn't quite so clear.

As Borys Kit and Matthew Belloni recount at Heat Vision, Lee initially approached Kirby to help develop the concept and draw the initial story in 1962's Amazing Fantasy #15. For one reason or another -- Lee has said he didn't like Kirby's muscular, or "too heroic," take on Spider-Man -- Ditko was tapped to draw the story, with Kirby providing the cover.

But some accounts assert that Kirby contributed elements from an unpublished character called Silver Spider that he developed in the 1950s with longtime collaborator Joe Simon. Others say Silver Spider became The Fly, a character created by Simon and Kirby for Archie Comics' Red Circle imprint.

According to the Heat Vision report, Kirby's heirs seek to recapture a share of the copyright to characters and story elements that appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15 -- Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Flash Thompson, etc. -- plus characters and concepts like J. Jonah Jameson, the Daily Bugle, Chameleon, the Tinkerer and the Lizard, most of which debuted months later in issues of The Amazing Spider-Man. (The Daily Bugle first appeared in Fantastic Four #2.)

If the Kirby children are successful, they would reclaim their father's portion of the copyright to key characters and concepts from the Marvel Universe as early as 2017 for the Fantastic Four. In most cases, that would seem to mean co-ownership with Marvel, as Lee agreed to waive claim to any of the characters. With Spider-Man, one-third ownership could be possible if the Kirbys were to prevail yet the judge recognized Ditko's interests.
Old 09-23-09, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Interesting. Stingermck, where is that quote from?
Old 09-23-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Interesting. Stingermck, where is that quote from?
Its from Comic Book Resources:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...of-spider-man/

I don't know, the Spider-Man claim is a little thin to me. Sure he did some prep work, but only his cover made it to the final product. This may follow the Action #1 case, where they are trying to get characters and ideas that were in that specific issue.
Old 09-23-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree the Spider Man claim is a bit thin, especially considering the fact that Kirby has very legit claims on some other big properties like Thor, Fantastic Four, Captain America, and the X-Men.
Old 09-23-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might seem like less of a money grab if the heirs didn't go after Spidey.