Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Chance Harvey (Hopkins, 2008): Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-16-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plot Summary:
New Yorker Harvey Shine (Dustin Hoffman) is on the verge of losing his dead-end job as a jingle writer. Warned by his boss (Richard Schiff) that he has just one more chance to deliver, Harvey goes to London for a weekend to attend his daughter’s (Liane Balaban) wedding but promises to be back on Monday morning to make an important meeting—or else.

Harvey arrives in London only to learn his daughter has chosen to have her stepfather (James Brolin) walk her down the aisle instead of him. Doing his best to hide his devastation, he leaves the wedding before the reception in hopes of getting to the airport on time, but misses his plane anyway. When he calls his boss to explain, he is fired on the spot.

Drowning his sorrows at the airport bar, Harvey strikes up a conversation with Kate (Emma Thompson), a slightly prickly, 40-something employee of the Office of National Statistics. Kate, whose life is limited to work, the occasional humiliating blind date and endless phone calls from her smothering mother (Eileen Atkins), is touched by Harvey, who finds himself energized by her intelligence and compassion.

The growing connection between the pair inspires both as they unexpectedly transform one another’s lives.
Trailer and clips

IMDB
Old 12-16-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Plot Summary:

Trailer and clips

IMDB
I'm gonna see this because I love Thompson (and Hoffman), and any movie in London, but I hated the scene in the trailer when they meet. That is so sitcom-like and not very believable. Like 3/4 of "Love Actually" I suppose. Sorry, just a minor gripe.
Old 01-10-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Last Chance Harvey (Hopkins, 2008): Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson

From Variety:
There's never a doubt that the losers-at-love of British writer-director Joel Hopkins' "Last Chance Harvey" are on intersecting arcs, that they'll meet cute and stroll off into a sooty London sunset. But stars Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson (reunited after 2006's "Stranger Than Fiction") are so disarmingly charming that even the most treacly moments work an emotional magic.
Old 01-10-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From Variety:

And it's currently at 74% on RT

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_chance_harvey/
Old 01-10-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emma Thompson is God. Except more adorable. So, I'll see it.
Old 01-18-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a terrific little film. It's one of those movies that makes you feel warm inside while watching it. It did at least for me. And the scene where they meet actually works in the film. I said above it wasn't realistic. But they actually had met before, briefly. Both Hoffman and Thompson have tremendous chemistry. Highly recommended.
Old 09-20-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I watched this film last night and it surprised me how much I liked it. I especially liked Dustin Hoffman toast at the reception.
Old 09-23-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
What a terrific little film. It's one of those movies that makes you feel warm inside while watching it. It did at least for me. And the scene where they meet actually works in the film. I said above it wasn't realistic. But they actually had met before, briefly. Both Hoffman and Thompson have tremendous chemistry. Highly recommended.
It is one of those films that didn't get much hype but it was sure worth the watch. One of the best films I saw in 2008.