Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First Marvel & Disney, now Warner Bros restructures DC Comics

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-09-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Developing story, but here are some links and highlights:

Deadline.com’s Nikki Finke reported Wednesday that DC Comics will undergo a restructuring as parent company Warner Bros. takes a more active interest in the traditionally autonomous comic book publisher.

According to Finke, Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov will make DC his top priority. Reporting directly to Robinov will be Diane Nelson, a WB marketer who most famously managed the Harry Potter franchise for the media giant. It seems she is to do the same for DC Comics. Nelson is familiar with DC Comics from her time at Warner Premiere, the company behind the DC-based direct-to-DVD films released since 2006.

Hopefully this will be good for DC, with WB realizing the goldmine they own, past Batman & Superman. Lets get some more movies rolling!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=22869

Burbank, CA - Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (WBEI) has created DC Entertainment Inc., a new company founded to fully realize the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms, to be run by Diane Nelson, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, and Alan Horn, President & COO, Warner Bros.

DC Entertainment, a separate division of WBEI, will be charged with strategically integrating the DC Comics business, brand and characters deeply into Warner Bros. Entertainment and all its content and distribution businesses. DC Entertainment, which will work with each of the Warner Bros. divisions, will also tap into the tremendous expertise the Studio has in building and sustaining franchises and prioritize DC properties as key titles and growth drivers across all of the Studio, including feature films, television, interactive entertainment, direct-to-consumer platforms and consumer products. The DC Comics publishing business will remain the cornerstone of DC Entertainment, releasing approximately 90 comic books through its various imprints and 30 graphic novels a month and continuing to build on its creative leadership in the comic book industry.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=22870
Paul Levitz Releases Public Letter of Resignation
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=22871
DC Comics will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2010 (NEW FUN COMICS #1, the first DC comic, began publishing in 1935), at which time more explicit details regarding DC Entertainment’s corporate and management structure, film and content release slate, creative roster and business objectives will be unveiled at a multi-faceted anniversary celebration and press conference in the first quarter of the year.
Hopefully this is good for DC, with WB realizing the goldmine they own, past Batman & Superman. Now lets crank out some more movies!

Last edited by stingermck; 09-09-09 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Re: First Marvel & Disney, now Warner Bros restructures DC Comics

This does appear to be good news. DC has a ton of excellent material ripe for films.

But DC, like Marvel, has too many damn crossovers that can't be made into films...ARGH!
Old 09-09-09, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
This does appear to be good news. DC has a ton of excellent material ripe for films.

But DC, like Marvel, has too many damn crossovers that can't be made into films...ARGH!
There is no need to put those crossovers into films when they can incorporate them in animated series or mini-series. Who wouldn't love to see Crisis on Infinite Earth in the DC Animated universe of Paul Dini and Bruce Timm? The first thing these marketing people need to understand is that not everything translate well into films and it is wise if they use all their assets, like HBO, TV production studios, cartoon network, etc, to incorporate the DC Universe. I truly believe that a film like Watchmen would have been better suited as a 12 episode series on HBO, directed by Terry Gilliam, instead of the overhyped slow motion fest that was the movie.

They need to do exactly what they did with The Dark Knight and replicate it on to other DC properties. By that I mean, that WB needs to get the proper director and staff that appreciates and respect the source material. If not, then the audience will be treated to Joel Shumacher crapfests, and other stuff that just insults comic and film fans in general.
Old 09-09-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ironic that you chose such a headline when Nikki Finke is the source of the info, she points out that Jeff Robinov's been after this for years, and that it is not a response to the Marvel/Disney thing.
Old 09-09-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do look forward to Warner bringing more DC comics to film. I still remember the billboard at the end of the opening scenes of I am Legend, advertising the Batman/Superman crossover film ...
Old 09-09-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From DC Blog:

A letter from Diane Nelson

Wednesday, September 9th, 2009

By David Hyde

Dear DC Colleagues and Friends,

As hopefully each of you now know, this morning Warner Bros. announced the formation of DC Entertainment, and I’ve been entrusted with the honor of heading up this exciting new venture, reporting to Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

DC Entertainment’s mission is to deeply integrate the DC brand and characters into all of Warner Bros.’ creative production and distribution businesses, while maintaining the integrity of the properties and DC’s longstanding commitment to and respect for writers, creators and artists. The founding of DC Entertainment is about Warner Bros. taking DC to the next level and giving DC an even greater degree of focus and prioritization in all the businesses in which we operate—films, television, home entertainment, digital, consumer products and videogames.

You are all an integral part of the success DC has achieved to date and your expertise and support will be essential moving forward – as we raise this brand and collection of characters to even greater heights. Together we can make the next 75 years even more successful and productive than DC’s illustrious 75-year history.

Jeff and I will be in the DC offices next week and will say hello personally at that time. Until then, thank you in advance for your support and continued contributions to DC Comics and the new DC Entertainment.

Best regards,

Diane
Old 09-09-09, 04:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
The one bonus is that the DC property rights aren't spread out among a dozen studios like Marvel's are.
Old 09-09-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

As long as we get quality movies/animated movies of their properties, I don't really give a flying rat's ass which company has the rights.
Old 09-09-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
As long as we get quality movies/animated movies of their properties, I don't really give a flying rat's ass which company has the rights.
As long as they keep films out of the hands of producers like Jon Peters.
Old 09-09-09, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The one bonus is that the DC property rights aren't spread out among a dozen studios like Marvel's are.
Yeah, it's great to see that WB sees what kind of wealth they have now with the DC characters. And the only DC crossover I'd ever want to see is a JLA film, which will never happen...at least in this time, cuz Nolan's Batman is way way too grim and street level to be in a JLA flick. It's not Nolan's fault but it's the way WB only used Batman as the DC crutch.
Old 09-10-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah, it's great to see that WB sees what kind of wealth they have now with the DC characters. And the only DC crossover I'd ever want to see is a JLA film, which will never happen...at least in this time, cuz Nolan's Batman is way way too grim and street level to be in a JLA flick. It's not Nolan's fault but it's the way WB only used Batman as the DC crutch.
Clearly you never read Identity Crisis. Nolan's take on Batman could fit just fine in a JLA movie. The problem is that Nolan and Bale think it's silly since they're so concerned with what passes for realism in the last two Batman movies.

Don't get me wrong, I love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. However, they are far from the level of realism Nolan thinks he's achieved. The microwave emiter that vaporizes water in underground pipes but leaves ground level humans unaffected is an excellent example of the lack of realism in the series.

Of course, you could argue that Batman hanging out with some aliens (Superman, J'onn J'onz, Hawkman, etc.), an intergalactic police officer (Green Lantern), and an Amazon Princess (Wonder Woman) would be even more unbelievable. But, if done right, no one would give two shits about that. And it doesn't even mean that he'd need to make reference in a Batman movie anything that may have happened in a JLA movie.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-10-09 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 03:49 AM
Banned

I've read Identity Crisis...great artwork btw.

I heavily doubt Nolan's Batman would even look right with the JLA. Agreed that Batman's tactics and things that happen may be a little off realism but you have to admit...it's as realistic as one could believe it to be. Burton's Batman always had something, Shumacher's Batman had everything on him even skates (wtf?). Nolan's Batman has to work to get his stuff and we see that he procures it and uses it when the challenge arises. Plus noboby in Nolan's world has superpowers. To introduce the Nolan/Bale Batman to the JLA would be awkward and heavily misplaced. In the comics it works fine, but with the way Batman has been made now it wouldn't work. NOW if WB told Nolan that Batman would eventually join the JLA then maybe it'd be configured to that kind of introductory ease into the DC world. It's not like that though.

Superman on the other hand we can all see working well with the JLA.
Old 09-10-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lets be honest here.

WB/DC will make a JLA movie one day.
Nolan will not always be making Batman movies.

It will work out in the end.
Old 09-10-09, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
There is no need to put those crossovers into films when they can incorporate them in animated series or mini-series. Who wouldn't love to see Crisis on Infinite Earth in the DC Animated universe of Paul Dini and Bruce Timm? The first thing these marketing people need to understand is that not everything translate well into films and it is wise if they use all their assets, like HBO, TV production studios, cartoon network, etc, to incorporate the DC Universe. I truly believe that a film like Watchmen would have been better suited as a 12 episode series on HBO, directed by Terry Gilliam, instead of the overhyped slow motion fest that was the movie.

They need to do exactly what they did with The Dark Knight and replicate it on to other DC properties. By that I mean, that WB needs to get the proper director and staff that appreciates and respect the source material. If not, then the audience will be treated to Joel Shumacher crapfests, and other stuff that just insults comic and film fans in general.
The point I was making was the crossovers are boring and really add nothing. I stopped reading Marvel because of it. Granted there are certain properties that will always have material (Batman, Superman...) but what about other characters? Eh, I guess I feel like certain characters get relegated to crossovers because the writers are out of idea and throw a handful of gummy bears up on a wall and what ever names they stick to is who they crossover.

However that is not to say that main properties don't need work. Batman is going in the right direction and Superman wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Watchmen was amazing and I hope to see more stuff like that.
Old 09-10-09, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
This is true...aside from the Batman TV show and that mess with Watchmen, DC does pretty much everything in house.
Old 09-10-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some Wonder Woman news from CBR:

WONDER WOMAN

In Nikki Finke's article about the formation of DC Entertainment Inc and the various shake-ups is this gem: "I've also learned that Robinov for months has quietly gone to producers like Chuck Roven and Joel Silver and Akiva Goldman and 'called back' all their high profile DC titles in development like 'The Flash' and 'Wonder Woman,'" reveals Finke. The motivation is to limit the amount of people getting a peice of the films' earnings off the top, known in business speak as "the gross." Finke's source claims "Jeff [Robinov, Warner Bros. Picture Group Preisdent] always wanted some kind of oversight of DC, and now he wants Warner's to hold onto ownership." While Robinov and Silver are friendly, Finke says his "10 years of developing Wonder Woman is history now."
Old 09-10-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner Bros. hopes to cure a case of superhero envy.

After years of lagging rival Marvel Entertainment in adapting comic-book properties for the big screen and other media, the Burbank studio unveiled a major restructuring of its DC Comics unit Wednesday that will bring its operations under tighter control.

The move is an effort by Warner Bros. and corporate parent Time Warner Inc. to implement a new strategy for DC Comics, which will face stiffer competition from a steroid-charged Marvel as a result of Walt Disney Co.'s deal last week to acquire it for $4 billion....

...Warner has had a mixed history with the DC properties it has adapted for other media.

Its biggest success, 2008's "The Dark Knight," generated more than $1 billion in worldwide ticket sales and was a top DVD seller. The CW Network's "Smallville," based on the early life of Superman, is entering its ninth season. "Batman: Arkham Asylum," a recent video game co-published by Warner Bros. Interactive, has sold nearly 2 million units in less than a month, a major hit.

However, the studio's "Watchmen" movie released in March was a box-office disappointment, 2006's costly "Superman Returns" wasn't successful enough to merit another sequel, and 2004's "Catwoman" film was a major flop.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,1779787.story

Thanks to Brent L in the Batman AA thread for posting this link!

DC Entertainment: What we know so far

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...e-know-so-far/
DC Entertainment's Diane Nelson: Grilled

http://www.thewrap.com/article/warne...n-grilled_6786

Last edited by stingermck; 09-10-09 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

On the surface it sounds like good news.

I gotta be honest, I was thinking just a couple days ago that if Warner Bros was smart, they'd get their shit together to compete with the Disney Marvel thing. I'm glad they're prepping to do just that.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-10-09 at 03:07 PM.